• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Then why would it EVER have to be reapplied. Is it good for 500 ski days and say 15 grinds if someone's willing to push a ski that far? Would the Phantom 2.0 still be as good as it was the day after originally applied?
It shouldn't need to be reapplied unless the original application was done incorrectly. I haven't used 2.0 but the 1.0 on my wife's skis still works well as does my son's. He is on one of the original test bed skis from DPS. Granted, their days per year are not huge and other skis or boards:rolleyes: are used too.

I am only going on what DPS's claims are as far as permeation and grindability.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm on 61 days this year in a wide variety of conditions with Phantom 1.0 applied last summer. Gliding very well .... Have not had a base grind yet.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I honestly haven’t kept track of how many days this season, everything from powder to spring slush, all on one pair of skis with Phantom 2.0. No issues so far, except for glue-like conditions a couple weeks ago when things warmed up very quickly after several inches of fresh snow. Nothing was sliding on the flats.

Haven’t waxed at all. No base grinds so far, might have one done before the start of next season.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I honestly haven’t kept track of how many days this season, everything from powder to spring slush, all on one pair of skis with Phantom 2.0. No issues so far, except for glue-like conditions a couple weeks ago when things warmed up very quickly after several inches of fresh snow. Nothing was sliding on the flats.

Haven’t waxed at all. No base grinds so far, might have one done before the start of next season.

Seems like you like it. Even with the best waxes & waxing for fresh warmed snow, at a point it all gets sticky.

Maybe if you get some true wet spring corn snow, come back and report again. I know you said slush, but there are different degrees of that as well.
In the next few days Bachelor should get some corn snow for the first time all season.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last weekend at Mammoth, it seemed to me that I was sticking to the snow somewhat less than I would have expected for the date, air temp, snow temp, and amount of sun. However, the only way to know for sure would be to have a control pair of skis. And all my skis are now Phantomized.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just read all 35 pages of this thread. My head is spinning a little. I’ve seen here and other forums that one pack of Phantom could be enough to treat 2 pairs of narrower and slightly shorter skis. I’m looking to treat a pair of 169cm long 80mm wide skis and 165cm long 76mm wide skis. Will I have enough with one pack and any tips on the application process (apart from base grind, absolutely no wax in bases and adequate cure time with full sun)?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So a couple things I discovered this year with Phantom. Had a bad tune on my enforcers while at a resort last year. When I got back to Seattle I went to my local shop who needed to run my skis through the machine about a dozen times to get them flat … after that no more Phantom on the base, so yes you can grind it off the base, but it takes a lot of grinding.

On my other skis that still have Phantom I find that an aggressive structure works best chevron being my preferred.

Even with Phantom I still wax my skis as I find the combo with a temperature specific wax gives me the best performance over multiple days of skiing.

Can you use 1 pack for 2 pairs of skis … maybe but only if your are very judicious with the phantom and do not spill any. If you put on to little and do not fully coat your ski you will not get the desired result.

Curing is key, strongly recommend you look for a shop with one of the cure lights/machines from DPS as that will ensure the best results

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From the discussion in the first many pages of this thread, I had doubts that I would want to tackle DIYing the application process. I found two shops with the cure station on my season's itinerary, The Mud Room in Jackson Hole in December and Jackson's Base Camp in Park City in March and called ahead for prices. For me, at least, it seemed that the $50 labor charge was a no brainer. There may have been a time when a younger self would have thought that there was potentially $50 in entertainment value in doing the application myself, but that day is long since past.

dovski

Skier
From the discussion in the first many pages of this thread, I had doubts that I would want to tackle DIYing the application process. I found two shops with the cure station on my season's itinerary, The Mud Room in Jackson Hole in December and Jackson's Base Camp in Park City in March and called ahead for prices. For me, at least, it seemed that the $50 labor charge was a no brainer. There may have been a time when a younger self would have thought that there was potentially $50 in entertainment value in doing the application myself, but that day is long since past.
Having done the application myself I can tell you that having a shop do it soup to nuts is likely the best way to go. Once you pay for a base grind … etc. plus spend $100 for the Phantom you are at basically the same price as what the shops charge for a complete package, also their cure will be better than a DIY

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve seen here and other forums that one pack of Phantom could be enough to treat 2 pairs of narrower and slightly shorter skis. I’m looking to treat a pair of 169cm long 80mm wide skis and 165cm long 76mm wide skis. Will I have enough with one pack and any tips on the application process (apart from base grind, absolutely no wax in bases and adequate cure time with full sun)?
That might be stretching it, but worth trying if you "strategize" it. For example don't put any on the second pair without doing the first. I will say that if you have 2 packages of Phantom, there's definitely enough to do 3 pairs of skis, except for maybe very long and fat skis. I regret not realizing this after doing the first pair, could have used the left overs on a single ski, then same with the second package to finish the extra pair.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I did 3 pair of skis with one box of Phantom 1.0 The box contains two pouches of "A" and two pouches of "B". There was plenty of product to cover 3 pair of skis, if you apply it carefully and slowly -- don't just dump it on and let it run off of the ski.

dovski

Skier
I did 3 pair of skis with one box of Phantom 1.0 The box contains two pouches of "A" and two pouches of "B". There was plenty of product to cover 3 pair of skis, if you apply it carefully and slowly -- don't just dump it on and let it run off of the ski.
I am pretty sure my phantom 1.0 and 2.0 only had one pouch of each. Can anyone confirm this?

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am pretty sure my phantom 1.0 and 2.0 only had one pouch of each. Can anyone confirm this?

Two pouches of A.
Two pouches of B.

You can do multiple skis with one purchase of Phantom, but they need to be shorter skis.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am planning on applying Phantom to my skis tomorrow. I have 4 packages and plan to put it on two pair of skis..

@ScottB looks like you have a lot of personal experience with DIY Phantom application. Do you think I'd be able to treat a pair of 169cm long 80mm wide skis and a pair of 165cm long 76mm wide skis with one box of 2.0?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Short answer, Prosper, yes. I have done 3 skis with 2 packs, no problem. I tried 2 skis with one pack and spilled some off the ski and was a little short. You might want to masking tape the side walls so the stuff doesn't run off the slides of the ski when you spread it. Or just spread it carefully. 2 skis with one pack is pushing the limit. I was doing 185cm skis, so you might have more margin for error. Just do your best to keep it from running off the skis.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been running a few skis this Spring that have Phantom on them and it has been great, on par with a freshly yellow waxed ski...but when the yellow gets pulled off, the Phantom is still good.

dovski

Skier
I have been running a few skis this Spring that have Phantom on them and it has been great, on par with a freshly yellow waxed ski...but when the yellow gets pulled off, the Phantom is still good.
I have been waxing over my skis with Phantom too as I find that provides the best overall performance

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January