• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
Hi All,

I've always liked the technique of hotbox waxing for the durability/longevity of wax that I get, but I've read with interest the recent threads on here about the risks and that the HB technique has fallen out of favour. The last thing I want is to flatten or delaminate my skis, so I have lately been trying another option whereby I use my HB to pre-heat skis to 60C for a couple of minutes and then take them out and iron on the wax as per normal. My logic is that the base will be warm, open and receptive when applying the wax and might achieve the same benefit (or better) as ironing onto a cold ski and then heating. It's amazing actually how maleable the wax is on a hot ski, and in my experience so far this 'reverse' technique seems at least as good as the long HB incubation that I used to do, and certainly the wax is more durable than ironing on its own. I assume that with only short heating that the risks are much lower, and I might even be able to turn my iron down (not tried that yet). Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else has a similar experience and/or wants to comment?

All the best,

B

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Most people serious enough about racing to hot box their skis aren't expecting to use the skis more than one season in competition, perhaps a 2nd season as a training ski some. And, under that kind of heavy wear,. a ski's going to be dead fairly quickly even if you don't hot box it.

Want your gear to last 10 years? Perhaps hot boxing it weekly isn't a good idea. Other than that, fire away.

Funny thing is that I'm more worried about the grease in the bindings melting and running out.

Also, same concern could be applied to boots in heated boot bags hot cold cycles, being hard on the plastic boot shells. Heated boot bags and hot boxing have been around for a decade since I first had similar concerns. We don't see folks experiencing those problems nearly as much as we did with 80s and 90s plastics and adhesives. They've gotten better for sure.