• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Revelstoke daily mountain tour?

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone taken the Revelstoke daily tour? From their website:

"First time skiing or riding at Revelstoke Mountain Resort? We offer free mountain tours daily at 12:30pm! Meet at the trail map signs next to Mackenzie Outpost at the top of the Revelation Gondola. A Snow School pro will show you how to get to and from the Ripper Chair, and the easiest route down to Revelation Lodge. Skiers and riders should be of an intermediate skill level and comfortable on blue terrain to participate. For a more tailored experience, come to Snow School in the village and sign up for a private or group program to get the lowdown on the mountain."

This sounds like it's geared to intermediate riders. I'm pretty sure that I can figure out how to get to the Ripper Chair and I'm not looking for the easiest way down to the lodge. I'm more looking for someone to show me "ski these trees, not those trees" and "which terrain to hike to" (i.e. go here, not there). I looked into hiring a guide for the day but it was almost $700 for the day. That's nuts.

Anyone have any suggestions or info that could help me out?

Thanks much

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Other than finding a local to ride with...You can sign up for an advanced clinic as it’s a lot cheaper than private guiding. From Revy website:

The Advanced Clinics allow you to ride and learn from a veteran instructor skilled in many different aspects of the sport. You have the liberty to choose what skills you would like to develop. A few examples of some of the clinics you can choose from are:
  • Powder
  • Carving
  • Bumps
  • Cliffs
  • Park riding
  • In-bounds guiding
These clinics are available for levels 5-6.

Cost is around 170 CAD for the day (9:00-3:00)

I’ve taken these cljnics before and they are great for the money since if you are an advanced skier you may be in a group with only a few people...essentially getting a private or semi private guided day anyways. (I think they need at least two ppl at similar skill level to run the clinic.) Just make sure you mention your ability level and what terrain you want to ski when signing up to ensure you dont get placed into a group unsuitable for you.

TS
ksampson3

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Vinny. I do remember the rep telling me about this on the phone. I wasn't really grasping what she was saying, though. Doing the math, that's still going to be $640 for the day for me and my family, in addition to lift tickets. Too much money to drop on a day. If it were just me, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you see my photos from two days at Revy in 2018? HERE.
I agree with you that the description sounds like a tour of some of the very basic terrain and routes around the mtn. Perhaps you could take that tour for an hour and pick the guides brain as you go along. Then branch off and do your own thing.

There is a fair amount of interesting advanced terrain above the Stoke chair that you have to hike to and/or traverse to. It's sort of a complicated zone that you'd definitely benefit from having a guide or at least a ski buddy. The trees adjacent to Stoke and Ripper chairs are pretty self evident and accessible. But Revy has a lot of side country and other tree skiing that feels very lonely and probably not great for a first time visitor to ski alone.

Sponsor

Staff online