• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Revelstoke Cat Skiing

pushgears

Putting on skis
Skier
Is Revelstoke (or any) Cat Skiing worth it?

I went cat skiing once before at Vail. The other skiers were mostly intermediate, the terrain was moderate (blue square), and after traveling to the site, taking safety training, and stopping for lunch, the total vertical skied was probably less than 10K. Riding in the cat was slow, noisy, and bumpy. So, it was OK, but nothing special.

I'm very interested in others' experiences!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done cat skiing at Irwin and Jones Pass in Colorado. I think the experience largely depends on who the other guests are. In my case the Irwin day consisted completely of friends and friends of friends (many of whom are members here) and we were motivated to get as much vertical as possible in so we didn't do any standing around chatting. That could be done while in the cat or at the end of the day. The Jones Pass day was mostly the same group but had a couple of strangers. Because we were the larger contingent I think we set the pace of the day pretty similarly. Terrain varied but there was definitely some above blue square terrain. Cats are never going to be fast, quiet, or smooth riding. It's just the nature of the beast. Here's a pic from the Irwin day.

1591641250975.png

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wouldn't do a day trip out of the resort in Revelstoke for cat skiing. The terrain and snow are great but it's a long drive with a ferry crossing just to get to the snowcat, so you loose a lot of daylight before the fun starts. You'll also be in an unfamiliar group with mixed ability and the guides will be really conservative so that everyone has fun and there are no skier induced delays.

I'd recommend the other operators in the area.

I too find the cat rides boring and slow; much prefer the heli experience.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Book a week at a remote lodge. That is the way to rock that experience. THe two best operations that I have been to are Island Lake and Selkirk Cat Skiing.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! It really was a fantastic trip. One of these days I'll get back there in better snow conditions.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Revelstoke is incredible I would go back in a second, however, as others have noted it's kind of tough to tack on a day of cat skiing. You're better off booking a 4 or 7 day lodge trip as these places can be hard to get to. Or look at cat operations near Nelson or Rossland that may be better suited for a day trip.

If you're looking to add on a day of cat skiing to a resort trip I'd recommend Irwin and Steamboat Powdercats as well. Not all of us can afford heli skiing so this is a pretty good compromise for a full powder day you'd never get in a resort. I can speak specifically to Steamboat Powdercats I've been there the last two years and Buff Pass gets nuked with snow. They have different levels of groups. Do Level 3 where will you get steeper shots, basically no breaks just riding in the cat, and if you want air they can line that up for you. These are not super long runs, but all I can say is it's worth it. Here are a couple pics from this past season during my day with SPC.

1591802064935.png

1591802093709.png

1591802282896.png SPC Guide in action

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Is Revelstoke (or any) Cat Skiing worth it?
This was my 5th year at Mustang Powder whose meetup point is ~30 miles W of Revelstoke. Mustang offers 3 and 4 day trips to their remote lodge that is 2 hrs from highway via school bus and snowcat or 8 minutes by helicopter. Cost is close to heli-skiing, now well over US$1000/day plus tips, bar bill and extra for heli-transfer and it's hard to get a spot when economy is good. I've driven to BC three times from Northern CA, with a lot of skiing on way there and back, and flown to Calgary twice including this year when I skied a total of ten days on trip (with no days off).

We have a good group that includes some snowboarding Drs. from Toronto area and averaged over 19.5K vertical/day this year, mostly high-quality untracked powder that got deeper each day. Last year all of us renewed. This year two guys from Calgary and a sister from Toronto dropped out and Drs. immediately grabbed the extra seats. I renewed, but plan is to let friend's son and his girlfriend use our two seats in 2021 before we return in 2022. With COVID-19 who knows whether there will be cat or heli-skiing next winter or even when Canada will allow people from US to enter country without 14-day quarantine.

Long report with a lot of pictures at https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14185 but note that site has not been available 100% lately so I'm adding two pictures of me on the hill (taken by Tony Crocker) and only of the last night's menu that had an optional wine pairing with each course (taken by flover/Mark from Minneapolis). Reports from other years can be found by searching for Mustang.
5551MustangMeCovered.JPG 5570MustangMeSkiing.JPG MustangLastNightMenu.jpg

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Weather is an issue. I was on a 5 day cat package that also had heliskiers. It snowed three of the five days and our skiing was awesome. Also awesome was coming back to the lodge at the end of the day and seeing a bunch of drunk heliskiers still in their ski clothes waiting for a ride that never came.
Yes cats are slow and noisy and you won't crank 30,000 feet (more like 12 to 16,000) but they are reliable especially in nasty, blizzardy full on powder conditions we love.
PS my image to the left was cat skiing at Castle (different trip). For more pics check out my guide
https://www.pugski.com/threads/unofficial-guide-castle-mountain-resort-ab.4764/

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
K3 cat skiing offers day trips out of Revelstoke. Their tenure is excellent, just south of Mustang Powder that Tony was mentioning. I've done a handful of last minute day trips with them and have nothing but good things to say about the experience.

Amazing burnt forest zones, true old growth - not the steepest, but the most aesthetic forest I've ever skied. As well as steep, long alpine lines off the North side.

Still prefer the heli but for $500/day it's reasonable.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Note that in picture where my jacket has some snow on it above, it is from being sprayed with new snow while skiing, not falling.

I've never been in a heli other than to transfer out of Mustang once and both ways this year. (First couple of years heli was optional and not very widely used, then they made it semi-mandatory but could not fly on some of the other trips due to visibility or wind. From talking to people who have done both cat and heli, the other advantage of the cat (besides not getting grounded due to weather) is a more relaxing day with time between each run to talk, eat some of the lunch you make before or after breakfast from fixins' they put out and replenish.

There are times when re-locating between parts of their terrain (aka tenure, they have 30,000 acres and almost 275 miles of snow roads) to get best snow that it seems like long semi-circular cat rides, but we've also had days where you repeated same (very wide) areas many times with short rides in between great runs. Some of their longest runs have your cat dropping you high and another cat picking you up low. In 2019, we finished our 3 days with a 4500' vertical run like that. Trip report at https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12832

Not sure if Mustang is reading this, but they sent out email this afternoon offering all guests an opportunity for no questions asked, full refund of 25% deposit paid on last day of previous year's trip if you cancel by August 31. You lose your chance to spot to re-book for following year. If you don't cancel by then and the remaining 75% is due by Sept. 30 which is a little earlier than previous years. After August 31, if you cancel more than 8 days before your trip, they will give you an 80% refund and you get your spot the next year. Previously there was no refund although you could fill your spot with an alternate person.

Some more information from their e-mail follows:
First, we are planning on operating our cat skiing season this upcoming winter. British Columbia Cat and Heli skiing operators are currently crafting a 'Best Practices' document that will outline measures that we will implement inside our lodge, and during the ski day, in order to minimize the chance of the spread of a virus during cat skiing holidays. (Social distancing, PPE, rules/policies etc.) This document will soon be submitted to local government and WorkSafe BC for approval.

So far, the province of British Columbia, and in particular the Interior region of BC, has been very successful in fighting the COVID-19 virus and numbers have been kept extremely low. We are also working hard on procuring adequate COVID-19 test kits for the coming winter. Because a remote backcountry lodge is an insular environment, we are an industry where pre-trip testing will be very applicable. Our hope this winter is to be able to test all guests and staff prior to them entering the lodge. We will keep you updated on this subject over the next few months.

Edit to added that 80% refund for canceling after Sept. 1 mentioned above is not because you or your spouse changed your mind about going.
The above policy only applies to guests affected by the following government-ordered pandemic travel or operation restrictions:
• The BC or Canadian Government orders closure of Mustang lodge
• The Canadian border is closed to non-essential travel
• A Government stay at home order is in place for your registered booking address

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online