• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Returning to Skiing - New Ski Package Experience

NorthMISkiier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I skiied most days all winter when I was in high school. I since fell away with college and life. Now (fast forward almost 30 years) and I am restarting with one of my sons. I want to get a decent set of skiis to restart but not interested in spending a lot for something really good. Basically the local ski shop has a set of 2020 Blizzard XCR skiis with bindings (don't remember binding model) from last year (new) for $300. Anyone have any experience with these or have any input on whether they are reasonable for the price and are a generally decent ski? Any concerns with them? Are there other (previous year model preferably for cost savings) ski packages that are widely available with skiis and bindings in the $250-$400 range that are known to be a good package I might look for. There are 4 ski stores within 2 hours of me so if there is a good recommended options I can check and see what they carry. I am looking to buy local for peace of mind if I need service or have issues with the skiis. Thanks for any help.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome and here are the usual questions that need to be answered.
Male or Female
Weight - range is ok but important with skis.
Main ski hill? Many Michiganers here to that can help with local shops.
Ability? Though I would shoot for beginner/intermediate since a lot has changed in 30 years. Equipment is much better.

There deals out there now. Local shops will have or have had their swap/used sales too.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to PugSki @NorthMISkiier !!

I (and just about everyone on this site) will re-iterate what @Jilly said... boots are inordinately more important than skis.

Find a good local bootfitter (NOT someone who just sells boots) that can make sure you're in the right boot for you. You can ask here on the site for recommendations if needed.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Get some year old good demo skis and at least consider your boot situation. Or get a seasonal lease.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Marry your boots, date your skis.
I was in the OP's situation last year. @kimberlin had persuaded me to go skiing in the early part of 2019 (I rented gear) and I had forgotten how much I liked it after decades away. She told me about this quote, and she was DEAD RIGHT. Although I landed up getting some pretty radical skis last December (Renouns), the boots were first and made an enormous difference. I went to her recommended boot fitter. It took a few adjustments to get them 100% right, and if only I could get them on and off easily ogsmile, but well fitting boots are waaaaay more important as a first step.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's the Ski Diva mantra.
It's a good mantra. I don't know if @kimberlin is a Ski Diva, but she's sure a ski model: I've skied, I think, 11 times with her and I don't recall seeing the same outfit twice. Strangely enough, she will have skied 11 times with me and she shouldn't recall seeing more than the one outfit ... (if she does, it wasn't me)

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ditto on the boots (& custom insoles), of course, that's all you're going to hear here and it's the best advice.

Also, if you skied a lot in years past, it may come back to you pretty quick, esp. if you plan on going a lot this season (I assume so if you're looking to buy skis) and you could quickly be outskiing those XCRs. This is why @Wilhelmson's recommendation of a season lease, is really smart & less expensive.

Buy boots this year, get a season lease for skis, and then spend that cash on your "next" intermediate skis that's a step above these.

More info on your situation would also help.

I went to her recommended boot fitter. It took a few adjustments to get them 100% right, and if only I could get them on and off easily ogsmile, but well fitting boots are waaaaay more important as a first step.
For @RobSN and anyone who has difficulty getting boots on: a heated boot bag is your best friend. Secondary option is a heated blanket wrapped around your boots in a regular boot bag or a hair dryer can even work depending on the situation. Soften up that plastic and see how easily your feet slide on. Like putting on a slipper!

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
For @RobSN and anyone who has difficulty getting boots on: a heated boot bag is your best friend. Secondary option is a heated blanket wrapped around your boots in a regular boot bag or a hair dryer can even work depending on the situation. Soften up that plastic and see how easily your feet slide on. Like putting on a slipper!
Dead right! I have a Kulkea heated boot bag and it does indeed make it quite a lot easier to get the boots on. It does not make it easy though. And the end of the day usually results in heating of the boots due to the swear words being used as I struggle to get them off. I always manage it, both ways, but as Ringo said, "it ain't easy".

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
It's a good mantra. I don't know if @kimberlin is a Ski Diva, but she's sure a ski model: I've skied, I think, 11 times with her and I don't recall seeing the same outfit twice. Strangely enough, she will have skied 11 times with me and she shouldn't recall seeing more than the one outfit ... (if she does, it wasn't me)

We have a name for that too....But we're in polite company!!

TS
NorthMISkiier

NorthMISkiier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks everyone for the help. It seems quite clear that getting properly fitted boots is job #1. In reference to a couple of questions above... I primarily skiied Caberfae in Northern Michigan (if anyone knows what that is). My plan is to stick to the Northern MI area for the most part. I did a day trip rental with my 9 yr old last year and he dragged me to the blue after his first 30 minutes ever on a pair of skiis. He absolutely loved it and so this year I plan to purchase myself a decent beginner/intermediate ski set. Once I put the skiis on that day, I felt like I was in high school again - I pretty much fell in love with it again and wondered why I ever let myself get away from it. I don't plan to race or spend too much time doing anything crazy (at 46 yrs old) so I want to have a quality pair of skiis that go down the hill smoothly/comfortable and will turn and carve/stop fairly easily. I am doing an annual rental for the kid since he will need a new set every year but I have that covered. Myself 5'8"/178#/Male.

So there is a place called Sun and Snow in Ann Arbor, MI that claims to be one of the best bootfitters in the nation. Anyone heard of them or know if any of that is true? If you know of them, any information or suggestions on their carried brands/equipment or their service? Also a place called Shumakers in Flint, MI that seems to be a general ski shop, haven't heard anything particular about boot fitting but hearing the comments on here certainly make me wonder now... I don't really want to spend a few hundred dollars on a pair of boots that don't work for me. Any other locations in Mid-Michigan area (Lansing/Flint/Ann Arbor/Saginaw/maybe up to Cadillac) that may come highly recommended?

Thanks for any and all help.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So there is a place called Sun and Snow in Ann Arbor, MI that claims to be one of the best bootfitters in the nation. Anyone heard of them or know if any of that is true?
Seems to be... yes. See this thread:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My normal recommendation in Upper Midwest, is Rossi Experience low 80s or mid 70s. Usually many good used ones out there.

@chilehed
@TimF
@Dakine
All in Michigan, I believe.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I skiied most days all winter when I was in high school. I since fell away with college and life. Now (fast forward almost 30 years) and I am restarting with one of my sons. I want to get a decent set of skiis to restart but not interested in spending a lot for something really good. Basically the local ski shop has a set of 2020 Blizzard XCR skiis with bindings (don't remember binding model) from last year (new) for $300. Anyone have any experience with these or have any input on whether they are reasonable for the price and are a generally decent ski? Any concerns with them? Are there other (previous year model preferably for cost savings) ski packages that are widely available with skiis and bindings in the $250-$400 range that are known to be a good package I might look for. There are 4 ski stores within 2 hours of me so if there is a good recommended options I can check and see what they carry. I am looking to buy local for peace of mind if I need service or have issues with the skiis. Thanks for any help.

I would get good ski boots first and then just get any decent pair of skis that are appropriate for the most common conditions you ski in and your size/weight and have bindings in good shape compatible with your boots. Give the skis a good wax and tune and just have fun. Once you know what you want in skis and are looking for something specific in your skis then you can get into the details of choosing a particular ski.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Good boot and footbed, then a decent carving ski that won't kick you in the teeth... Volkl Deacon 84, Head eRally or older iRally.... the latter will be on close out, and last season's Deacon 84 as well... only the graphic changed. You should be able to find a 19-20 Rally, Titan, or Deacon for around $600 with the system binding. There are many other possibilities from other manufacturers as well... Atomic X9, etc...

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So there is a place called Sun and Snow in Ann Arbor, MI that claims to be one of the best bootfitters in the nation. Anyone heard of them or know if any of that is true
I think very highly of Rob at Sun and Snow, as do quite a number of my fellow patrollers. Best in the nation? I'm not qualified to say, but he's the best I know. And I agree, well-fitted boots are the key.

I'm 5'10", 170 lbs. My happy spot in ski design is 80's underfoot, 16-ish meter sidecut, normal camber with some early tip rise, and not so stiff that they're totally unforgiving. Playful. I love my old Head Rev85 Pros, they're great in the conditions we get downstate. I've had them out west a few times, when it gets really deep I think more width would be nice but they still work well.

I suggest concentrating on the boots, and buying some cheap old rental skis that are about right (or at least, not totally wrong). Then demo every ski you can this season to figure out what you really want; watch the Boyne/Caberfae/Nubs websites to find out when they're having demo days.

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Marry your boots and date your skis. Any ski & binding combos for $250-400 will be pretty unsatisfying after you return to form. Rent skis. Anyone skiing 10 or fewer days a winter saves money by renting. (Not 10?...pick a number.) When you find the rental skis model & size that really works for you, hunt for a used pair or a shop's used demo sale. Ski length is important--in general as skis are made longer they're also made stiffer. You really need the stiffness that responds to the energy you put into the skis. How do you find this? 3 rules: demo, demo, demo.

Sponsor