• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Returning Skier in Arlington, VA

Jed

Booting up
Skier
I'm a 54 year old who began skiing at 3 but hasn't skied regularly since teenage years. I'm happy to be returning as an intermediate skier with my youngest son, who is 13, picking up the sport enthusiastically. I'm hopeful that this will be a lifetime sport we enjoy together. If I have something to contribute to the community, other than my enthusiasm and interest in the opinions of others, which will go largely unobserved, I will. My son and I skied only a dozen days this year. We may take a trip out west for spring break this year but that's still up-in-the-air. Next year we plan to get season passes to the local Pennsylvania slope. Thanks in advance for all of the great information and respectful discussion I've come to expect from this site over the past month I've been lurking. Cheers!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welcome from another local NOVA skier. Check out the Advantage And Night Club cards at the local PA resorts as well. The night club card has a 1 time add on for $40 that allows you 1 group lesson each time you visit. That may be a good feature with you getting back on the snow. If you get out to Leesburg there is a great shop there, Pro Fit Ski & Mountain, that you should check out. The owner there is a great boot fitter and they do a great job matching boots and skis to their customers. They are very affordable as well. Again, welcome. This is a forum full of great and knowledgeable skiers.

TS
J

Jed

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Coach. I've been looking for a great boot fitter and, if I don't get complete satisfaction with my current fitting I will check them out. I used the Advantage card this season. My son did the group lesson per visit. I'm not so interested in group lessons but would be interested in privates were I to find a good teacher with whom I could have some consistency next season. Do you have any recommendations for instructors at Whitetail? Send a PM if I'm breaking any site protocol and thanks for reaching out.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks Coach. I've been looking for a great boot fitter and, if I don't get complete satisfaction with my current fitting I will check them out. I used the Advantage card this season. My son did the group lesson per visit. I'm not so interested in group lessons but would be interested in privates were I to find a good teacher with whom I could have some consistency next season. Do you have any recommendations for instructors at Whitetail? Send a PM if I'm breaking any site protocol and thanks for reaching out.

I’m told by a very reliable source that Andi Broom is very good and I hope to ski with her at some point soon. Hopefully some of the other locals will chime in as well with recommendations for you.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome!

If you can get a lesson with Patrick McCord at Whitetail, he's great... though doesn't always teach as I think he's one of the program directors.

Also note that the Night Club and Advantage cards are going away with the purchase by Peak Resorts... I don't know what, if anything, they might offer in their place.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also note that the Night Club and Advantage cards are going away with the purchase by Peak Resorts... I don't know what, if anything, they might offer in their place.

Wow-I had not heard that. I’d have to believe they will be replaced with something similar. I’d bet skiers buying tickets on both of these products make up a fair share of RT, WT and Liberty’s revenue.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow-I had not heard that. I’d have to believe they will be replaced with something similar. I’d bet skiers buying tickets on both of these products make up a fair share of RT, WT and Liberty’s revenue.

Yeah, I just found that out today at Whitetail, from @gardenmary who works there.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, I just found that out today at Whitetail, from @gardenmary who works there.

I just looked it up on Liberty’s site and confirmed it. It says the night club card will be available for the under 18 crowd under a different name and the advantage card is going away. I’m guessing they will take a big hit over this in our area. Not many I know are willing to buy a season pass at $600+ to ski these crowded bumps and it’s not like the NE Peak resorts are close by. I’ll still ski there some but it will probably push me to Bryce, Massanutten, CV and the Wisp more often, which I really should do anyway.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome!

If you can get a lesson with Patrick McCord at Whitetail, he's great... though doesn't always teach as I think he's one of the program directors.

He is fabulous for understanding the issues of the returning skier. I had some lessons with him when I first started back.

TS
J

Jed

Booting up
Skier
Thanks to all of you. I'll look to schedule some lessons next season. I love having a practice regimen. I'm an enthusiastic technician but not in a mechanical way. I first aim for intellectual understanding but then release to a physiological one. I was a DI tennis player who has always played by feel. I found the Zen discussion in another thread interesting because that's kind of the way I've always learned. There's no self-criticism when one is searching for that feeling that brings mechanics and outcome together: one is never wrong, nor is one ever right. It's simply a search of becoming where there is never a singular target nor an ultimate outcome. Even a moment experienced where new feelings and understanding occurs that makes for a great day. But I wax too philosophical. Just wanted to share a bit of my enthusiasm.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January