• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Returning - feedback on ski choice sought

B-Nads

Booting up
Skier
G'Day.

I'm getting back after a few sparse years due to my son's hockey schedule and my own focus on other activities. It's a return that's shadowed by a certain amount of apprehension, as I'm recovering from a torn achilles. Being a strictly Eastern skier, but a former advanced intermediate with a penchant for big power carves, and aspirations to hit powder and bumps, I'm looking at changing my gear. I just unloaded one of my two remaining pairs - Blizzard GP 7.2 (in a much too short 167), and am still running, but looking at dumping my 2013 e98's in 188, which are beasts when running wide open on groomers, but feel hooky and clumsy in deeper stuff (due to my skiing more than anything - lol). I'm 6'2, 215lbs, athletic, and aggressive.

I'm looking at a one-ski set-up in the 88-95 width range, and am drawn towards one of either the Enforcer 93, Kore 93, or QST 92 in a 180 to mid 180 length. I am predominantly a front-side skier, but I try to hit powder and bumps to greatest extent my schedule, skills, and condition allow. I like the lightness of the Head, and plan to try a demo pair very soon. I have not tried the Nordica, but all literature seems to suggest it would be a good option. The Salomon is an interesting option, but my interest is based on brand-loyalty and my experience with their customer service - some literature seems to suggest it would be a bit too soft a ski for my size.

Insight from the more learned would be greatly appreciated ;-).

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The Enforcer 93 is my go-to for most any condition. Good grip on hard snow and floats my 230 pounds just fine. I've had an Achilles repair on each leg.

TS
B

B-Nads

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, Kneale. I'm down from 230 - in my mid 40's, I packed on pounds bad while laid up. Which length do you ski?

Brent

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I ski cheater 177s :roflmao:

I'm old and try to ski as efficiently (less forceful muscle use) as possible.

Last edited:
TS
B

B-Nads

Booting up
Skier
Noice! ;-)

I'm gonna try to stay in the low 180 range - I don't need monstrous float, but I want to keep enough stability for power carving.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
You just missed the demo day at Tremblant for the Solly's and the Heads. But you can get them in Tremblant to demo first at the Salomon shop or Magasin de Place. Nordica's...not sure who might have them for demo if you're interested.

TS
B

B-Nads

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, Jilly. I think I can demo the Nordica at Morin the same time I try the Head - maybe I’ll swing up to Tremblant and see if they have the 92s or 99s to try.

Sponsor

Staff online