• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Returning after 15 yr break questions

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Hi folks, first post noob so go easy on me :)

I am returning to skiing and looking for new equipment. My wife was a ski racer growing up and we have our 4 yr old in lessons and want to make this a family lifetime activity, so I am excited to get back in.

About me: 5 9, 195, former hs and college hockey player, grew up skiing and quit after high school. I live in Minnesota and was comfortable skiing blacks here, I know we only have hills and they do not represent reality...but I was a fairly decent intermediate skiier. I still skate a lot and have a good concept of weight transfer and edges. I will most likely be skiing groomers with my family most of the time in MN. We have friends in big sky, Jackson hole and Vail which I would like my skis to handle, but I am thinking I need to focus on conditions here and maybe even rent out there if the ski requirements are substantial ly different. I really don't see myself wandering too much off the groomers but that could change and I would like a ski with some ability to handle that.

After research i am considering the following:
Skis
Rtm84
Head ititan
Stockli sr83
Laser ax
They had Sr 88s and monster 88s but I am not sure about much over 84...thoughts?

Boots
I am guessing for my height, weight and skating ability I would be 110 to 130 boots? Any brands play soft or strong to flex? I am looking at Fischer rc4 110s, Salomon and Technica 120s.

Sorry for the rambling. Am I splitting hairs on the ski choices? Info much appreciated, thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Boots
I am guessing for my height, weight and skating ability I would be 110 to 130 boots? Any brands play soft or strong to flex? I am looking at Fischer rc4 110s, Salomon and Technica 120s.

Sorry for the rambling. Am I splitting hairs on the ski choices? Info much appreciated, thanks.
Marry your boots and date your skis. Buy boots first, then get the skis. You cannot oick a boot on line, get yourself to a good fitter and try some on.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Thanks ^. I plan to go in for a full boot fitting, just a few options I thought looked in the ballpark. Any thoughts on skis for conditions mentioned above ssuming correct boots? Sr83s look pretty intriguing but there is not much info on them...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I won't argue @François Pugh 's remarks about being under 77mm in MN as hard packed groomers favor narrow skis, but I will say that 77 is a somewhat arbitrary number and anything in the 80s underfoot will perform very competently on hard snow and give you the freedom to go off-piste with aplomb.

I think the SR83 or 88 would be a really pleasant ski for the types of skiing you envision.

Phil is absolutely dead on about boots. Tell your bootfitter where and how you would like to be skiing and he will tell you what you need.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, I tried to stay around 80 considering I might travel with them...any thoughts on the head, ax or Sr 83 above?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just love the supershape series. I own the Rally and have demoed the titan twice. I think both are very versatile and a heck of a lot of fun to ski. I ski in the northeast and that means lots of ice and hardback so I think either of these will do you fine. You can ski them out west and if there was a dumping then rent a fatty. That said a sub 70 ski is just fun, fun, fun.

When I first started building my quiver I had an 87 underfoot ski first which met "most" conditions. Then I bought something narrower and eventually something fatter. Let the fun begin. I do spend much of my time on my 76 underfoot Rallys but it's fun to have choices.

As others have said though boots are by far the first thing. I have lots of opinions about skis. However, when it comes to boots I didn't even do any research. I went to see my guy and trusted whatever he said was best for me. Getting new boots was a game changer for me.

Last edited:
TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
I won't argue @François Pugh 's remarks about being under 77mm in MN as hard packed groomers favor narrow skis, but I will say that 77 is a somewhat arbitrary number and anything in the 80s underfoot will perform very competently on hard snow and give you the freedom to go off-piste with aplomb.

I think the SR83 or 88 would be a really pleasant ski for the types of skiing you envision.

Phil is absolutely dead on about boots. Tell your bootfitter where and how you would like to be skiing and he will tell you what you need.
Thanks Doug have you skiied the Sr 83s?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The AX is a pseudo race ski. It is great on groomed being both able to turn in a wide range of turn sizes as well as extremely stable. I'd say it is 90% groomer, 10% other. The SR is 50/50, a solid performer all around. I think the iTitan is a great ski but more akin to the AX than the SR.

77 is not arbitrary; it let's the Head I Rally into the party! :ogcool:
80 mm handles like a truck in comparison to 68 mm.

77 excludes the AX at 78mm. :duck: So kind of arbitrary in my mind. ;)
We clearly have different opinions about how trucky an 80+ mm ski will ski. :beercheer: I don't have a problem my Pinnacle 88s on the WROD or powder. I even enjoy getting my Bent Chettlers up on edge between powder runs. :rolleyes:

Thanks Doug have you skiied the Sr 83s?

No, but I've been on a wider model and liked it a lot. I ski in CO so wider isn't usually an issue for groomer skiing as our snow is usually easily edgeable. I grew up in New England and ski the WROD (White Ribbon Of Death; the few runs that are man-made snow that are open early in the season; they tend to be quite firm and hectic) in CO so I know hard pack. For me, the best all around skis I've been on lately are my K2 Pinnacle 88s, hence my predilection for 80+ mm skis.

Another thing to consider is length. Most skis in shorter lengths will have smaller radii than the same model in a longer length. Shorter is inherently less stable, too.

Get the boots, buy some used skis and/or demo some for a bit until you get a feel for the different characteristics of the wide assortment of skis. I'd also consider getting a lesson. Ski technique has developed many nuances that make the new skis easier and more fun to ski. Knowing how to drive a modern ski will make your experience all the better.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The AX is a pseudo race ski. It is great on groomed being both able to turn in a wide range of turn sizes as well as extremely stable. I'd say it is 90% groomer, 10% other. The SR is 50/50, a solid performer all around. I think the iTitan is a great ski but more akin to the AX than the SR.

We clearly have different opinions about how trucky an 80+ mm ski will ski. :beercheer: I don't have a problem my Pinnacle 88s on the WROD or powder. I even enjoy getting my Bent Chettlers up on edge between powder runs. :rolleyes:

No, but I've been on a wider model and liked it a lot. I ski in CO so wider isn't usually an issue for groomer skiing as our snow is usually easily edgeable. I grew up in New England and ski the WROD (White Ribbon Of Death; the few runs that are man-made snow that are open early in the season; they tend to be quite firm and hectic) in CO so I know hard pack. For me, the best all around skis I've been on lately are my K2 Pinnacle 88s, hence my predilection for 80+ mm skis.

Another thing to consider is length. Most skis in shorter lengths will have smaller radii than the same model in a longer length. Shorter is inherently less stable, too.

Get the boots, buy some used skis and/or demo some for a bit until you get a feel for the different characteristics of the wide assortment of skis. I'd also consider getting a lesson. Ski technique has developed many nuances that make the new skis easier and more fun to ski. Knowing how to drive a modern ski will make your experience all the better.
We agree on boots first.
Also modern skis do require some adjustment; you have to keep them at least slightly on edge, either their right edges or their left edges, preferably alternating. If you keep them on edge a ~165 cm short radius ski like say a Fischer WC SC or a slightly longer radius ski like a 170 cm Stöckli well be stable at any speed you can reach in MN.

Last edited:
TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
I just love the supershape series. I own the Rally and have demoed the titan twice. I think both are very versatile and a heck of a lot of fun to ski. I ski in the northeast and that means lots of ice and hardback so I think either of these will do you fine. You can ski them out west and if there was a dumping then rent a fatty. That said a sub 70 ski is just fun, fun, fun.

When I first started building my quiver I had an 87 underfoot ski first which met "most" conditions. Then I bought something narrower and eventually something fatter. Let the fun begin. I do spend much of my time on my 76 underfoot Rallys but it's fun to have choices.

As others have said though boots are by far the first thing. I have lots of opinions about skis. However, when it comes to boots I didn't even do any research. I went to see my guy and trusted whatever he said was best for me. Getting new boots was a game changer for me.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Thanks ssgirl. I picked the Titan ks it was 80 underfoot and I like your idea of just renting if it really dumps. Do you think they are good skis for generally on piste and on the blues at jh, bs and vail?

80 was my initial range thought, thus ititan, laser ax which they say can go anywhewe and sr83 slightly larger...

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier

Thanks Doug, sound advice.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I demoed the titan in sunshine village in Banff on a powder day and it did great. I had so much fun. I also demoed it in Vermont on a super firm day and it was a blast. I think they'll be just fine for out west on piste skiing. I have the AX and and its a great ski too. However, if I had to pick between the two I'd pick the titan.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
I demoed the titan in sunshine village in Banff on a powder day and it did great. I had so much fun. I also demoed it in Vermont on a super firm day and it was a blast. I think they'll be just fine for out west on piste skiing. I have the AX and and its a great ski too. However, if I had to pick between the two I'd pick the titan.

Thanks to you and the others above. The decorum on this forum is really pleasant towards the noobs...:)

So you are thinking for me assuming correct boots ititans are my best option versus Sr 83 or ax?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks to you and the others above. The decorum on this forum is really pleasant towards the noobs...:)

So you are thinking for me assuming correct boots ititans are my best option versus Sr 83 or ax?

It's really awesome here. I'm glad you are here.

I pick the Titans but that's just my opinion. I do love the AX but have never been on the SR83 so hopefully others will weigh on their opinion of the best option.

I'm also a fan of getting new boots and doing some demoing to see what you like which is great fun too.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...I am returning to skiing and looking for new equipment. ... Info much appreciated, thanks.
My Michigan daily drivers are 85's (Head Rev 85 Pro), yes they're not quick like my old 65 mm slalom skis but they're a lot more forgiving and a much better pick in a wide variety of conditions. Edge grip on hardpack is fine. At my patrol house most of the skis in the storage room are 80-ish or higher.

I always tell my friends to get a really good pair of fitted boots and a cheap set of old rental skis, and then demo as many skis as they can to see what they really want.

Sponsor

Staff online