Return of the Turn, Episode Four, Straight Skis.....is up

Discussion in 'Video and Photography Stoke' started by Muleski, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Muleski

Muleski Skiing the powder Industry Insider

wutangclan, cosmoliu, tball and 10 others like this.
  2. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

To all those expecting the final episode to be surfing powder.. I guess they kind of went the other direction there hahaha..

3. Muleski

Who knows.......something "tells me" that with the success of this, it's not ending at Episode Four. Also guess based on where he's been filming.

Fun to watch. For sure. These guys are having fun. Keep in mind that Marcus was born in 1988. Most of his skiing has been on skis with some sidecut. Then again he was one of the best junior speed skiers in the game. He can ski anything, anywhere, with a smile and chuckle.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    crgildart and AmyPJ like this.
  4. Wade

Wade Getting on the lift Skier

It was originally planned to be a powder episode, but the not so great snow year in UT forced a change of plans.

5. Muleski

Hmm, first I had heard of that. I thought these were filmed, edited and "in the can" before last fall. But could be.....at any rate, that creates the interest and demand for more. Which is good!

6. Wade

Wade Getting on the lift Skier

I thought so too, but I listened to an episode of The Low Pressure podcast this morning interviewing Marcus. He said episode 4 was originally planned to be a powder episode, but he had to change plans because of the poor (or at least less awesome than usual) conditions in Utah. Given how good last season was, I assume he has to be talking about the conditions this year.

He also mentioned that Return of the Turn will be back for a second season.

The podcast is definitely worth a listen.

BGreen and Muleski like this.
  7. Muleski

Thanks. I'm looking forward to some serious footage from his January trip to the Salomon Islands. Sounds like it was amazing. But, yeah, plenty of interest and demand in Marcus' skiing. Appeals to a wide horizon of people.

8. jack97

jack97 Getting off the lift Skier

He's not skiing those skinny sticks in the vid below....

Crudmaster likes this.
  9. Muleski

Am I missing something? Thought this one had been discussed a fair amount, when Episode One rolled out. We had about three threads going at once here as I recall.

Those are 187cm Bonafides, his usual "everyday" Swiss Army knife ski. Pretty good bump skiing on those, too! Marcus has been breaking out the straight Blizzards every now and then for years during his month or so at Hood each summer. Probably won't see any footage of him on snowblades until Blizz rolls out a product. I bet there are some pics of him on them out there on the interwebs, though.

Like I said, skis anything, anywhere. Any terrain, any surface. Never get tired of watching Marcus.

10. ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier USSA Coach Pugski Ski Tester Industry Insider

Hmm, not historically accurate either....the blurb claims they are on the original firebird but shows them with the later (~77-78) black/red/white version rather than the original (~72) orange/blue diamond top sheet. :popcorn: Still, good to see the Firebird name returning to the line up for next season.....pure coincidence they are showing them on the firebird here i am sure.....:rolleyes:

Tony S, newboots and AmyPJ like this.
  11. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    I can tell he doesn't know how to really ski those straight sticks. And I'm not going back there!! Too much work.

12. Muleski

Yeah most of his straight ski time was refining his speed skills as one of the top junior DHers in the country, or playing around with them after his "race retirement", in a variety of places.

Looks funny to men see two guys their age walking and holding such "vintage gear".

Fun stuff. And NO, not a coincidence that the skis are whatever Blizzard product they could find. I believe that tracked some down quite a long time ago......

That "marketing stuff."

newboots likes this.
  13. AmyPJ

AmyPJ Let's go! Pugski Ski Tester

Always a riot to watch! That was fun.

Muleski likes this.
  14. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

And dressed in that plaid shirt. Totally looks like a one weekend wonder walking around with gear that hasn't seen snow in forever. Probably blew a few minds of people who judged them as tourons in over their head on the lift ride up then to see them ski. It took me a couple runs to get my straight ski timing back last time I went retro. Finding less and less motivation to do that each season. I was considering packing a pair of retro bump bump skis for our trip this weekend until it became clear we'll have a Forester full of scouts and gear to haul up to the mountains. Way better to have such a full roster of kids to take to the mountains.. I'll only be taking two pairs, good twins and older twins should the rain make things too thin for my good skis.

Might need to watch the corn snow segment again to get psyched to ski in the warm slop and rain with the scout troop.

newboots and Muleski like this.
  15. oldschoolskier

oldschoolskier Out on the slopes Skier

I have two pair of Thermo’s. One is from about 80/81 these are my Firebird RS in 203’s, the second are just RS from about ‘85/6 maybe a little later in 205’s. These were my ski until 2011’ish, had no reason to change.

The V20’s shown in the video came later and IMHO just are not as good as the older skis (my wife had a set) at about this time Blizzard was manufacturing for a lot of other companies (at least that’s what I remember). The Thermos shown came after my second set (the older versions didn’t have the signature).

newboots and Muleski like this.
  16. ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier USSA Coach Pugski Ski Tester Industry Insider

COrrect OSS. The thermo firebirds came originally in 82 or 83 iirc.. they were also silver in the RS version (at some stage the race stock ones changed to white). I had a pair of both the thermo firebird RS in 200 (84) and the original firebird in a 197 slalom with 505 comp/ equips with the black springs

17. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    Inspirational.
    I'll be taking out my old straight SGs in a couple of weeks. :daffy:

18. oldschoolskier

oldschoolskier Out on the slopes Skier

I have both the silver and the white.

The silver had ultra thin tips, and were truely temperature sensitive. Great skis.

The whites a little stiffer and thicker tips.

I’ll post some pics.

ScotsSkier likes this.
  19. 4ster

4ster Now with more photos! Instructor

20. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two wheels. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

If for the sherbert bases, leaving disappointed. Seriously, that is some incredible skiing there, if anyone has taken out any mid 80's 200mm skis recently, you know how hard it is to ski them...let alone like the way Marcus is that video, he is one helluva skier.