• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Retirees: what's your skiing schedule?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I get the impression you're doing research for an article.
I lost interest when the opening post have 3 or more questions.

Can’t even remember what the questions were by the fifth post.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I live 1:20 from Mt. Baker and 2:20 from Stevens Pass, my two main ski areas. I'm a musician and I need to be close to home a lot for rehearsals and gigs, so I don't go on ski vacations often. However, those rehearsals and gigs are almost always in the evening, so I can get in a bunch of skiing.

I drive for the day to Baker and ski there most, but I always do several Wed. through Friday stays at my cabin near Skykomish; about 20 minutes from Stevens. I'm a passholder at both places.

I ski weekdays only, either by myself or with my wife, who skis better than she lets on. I only ski weekends with my son and grandson, who aren't as into it as I am.

I also usually get down to Hood Meadows for a few days (covered on my Baker pass) when we travel to Portland to see my daughter-in-law.

I sometimes get up to B.C. to ski at WB, Silver Star and etc.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I'm in my second season of retirement and second season in Denver. I had an IKON pass last season and skied mostly at Copper. This year, I got a Loveland season pass.

I have found the hour+ commutes to feel like work all over again. Between the shorter drive to Loveland and the free parking with no shuttle, the time savings may make consecutive ski days more likely this season. Otherwise, I'll ski non-consecutive weekdays.

Definitely I watch the weather reports to pick the best days to ski. As a groomer skier, I don't need to fight road conditions and powder hounds to get to the mountain. For me, uncrowded bluebird days and all feels right with the world. I have no ski schedule.

With the Loveland season pass, I have access to a bunch of other mountains. I'm planning to take a trip or two. Dates and destinations are unknown. I'd like to ski Schweitzer and am not sure I want to drive there. After the first of the year, I'll look at how their season has shaped up and look at the logistics.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I lost interest when the opening post have 3 or more questions.

Can’t even remember what the questions were by the fifth post.
Sorry about thatogsmile

One of the reasons I ask is that being about two hours from nearest skiing, I sometimes have a hard time getting motivated for solo day trips in marginal conditions and I wondered how others in similar scenarios log a lot of ski days.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Sleep in till 5 on weekends 6 on weekdays. Ski everyday that we are not away on vacation. Requires a ton of commitment to get there everyday but it fills my soul. Wife and I ski until" too".
Too tired, too icy, too crowded, too many beers, etc.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
still trying to figure this out especially with a bit of a delayed start to my season. I also really enjoy Fat biking and snowshoeing with my wife. Lots to fit in plus I want to do some volunteering. living in the Yampa Valley means everything is within minutes so it does make things easier. I could literally walk to Howelson Hill and my backyard is Emerald Mountain with 30 miles of single track for snowshoeing and biking. For some reason, I have never skied there but can see it from my house

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I live 1hr from closest decent hill and 2+hrs from southern VT and I like to sleep at home, so it's almost always a day trip. Weather/conditions here in southern New England are "variable" at best. I keep an eye out for good conditions (sunny or fresh) and then go. I always ski the whole day (6+ hours) and NEVER on a weekend, regardless of the conditions. I also like to XC, which is often just as good and right out my door, so when I'm home I end up DH skiing about every 6-8 days. Since I've been retired, I have done 3-6 weeks out west every year, and then I ski 3 days on/1 day off usually. I've ended up averaging about 35 days DH and 35 XC.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
being about two hours from nearest skiing, I sometimes have a hard time getting motivated for solo day trips in marginal conditions
Yup. I'm new here ... I drive and ski alone. That may change over time. Or not.

People have told me Copper is "about an hour and a quarter" away. Right now, 11 AM on a Monday, the map says it's 1:41. From driveway to chair lift, it's about 2 hours. And that's if I wait out the commuter traffic. That's why I don't ski consecutive days. Between day trips and 1 or 2 longer trips, I'll probably ski 35-45 days this season, 5-6 hours per day on snow.

Locals I know who log a lot of days have condos near the mountains.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I live a little over an hour from Sunday River. I make it up as often as I feel like it. I usually will find someone to ski with, although there are times I'll ski alone. I'm probably going to buy an uphill pass to MT Abram, so I can practice my uphill travel on days they are not open. I have the New England and Ikon Pass. I'll also be driving out West again this season. The only definitive plan is to be at JH for the gathering.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
We live about an hour and a half from Laurel and Seven Springs from the driveway to boot up, about 2 hours 15 for Blue Knob. My wife and I make it out 2 to 4 times a week depending on weather and whether we feel like going. We often go with our 2 adult kids and enjoy skiing with friends. We will ski several weeks out west and a few shorter trips to NE this season.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I typically spend 2 weeks each month from December through April at my Killington condo. Exception is February which is devoted to a 3 week stay in Summit County Colorado. I usually ski Monday through Friday, with maybe a few hours on Sunday afternoon. I've been retired 13 years and logged 69 days last season.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know you can block posters, but can you hide threads?

Patience, Grasshopper. You time will come. Then you wish it didn't have to.

BTW, he is lying about the fountain. I would be the first one in line with a bucket. A big bucket.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
This is my second season of retirement.

I only managed 48 days last season because I slipped on some ice while walking (!!) home from the Post Office and broke my wrist. I couldn't figure out how to get my boots on with only one functional hand.

Most days, I check the website at 0600, but I'll probably ski regardless, as long as it's not truly awful. I don't ski in the rain and I don't much care for 60mph wind.

I have not skied yet this year because there hasn't been enough snow. :nono:

I live about 35 minutes from Whitewater and about 50 minutes from Red Mountain. I have a season pass at Whitewater, so I go to Red only rarely because it costs extra. Also, Whitewater usually has better snow. Years ago, I used to ski frozen bumps on Outhouse at Mary Jane, but now I'm a sucker for the soft stuff. Aren't we all?

I go early so I can park close and use my truck as a locker. Also, if it's a powder day, I want to beat the idiots who will attempt to get up the access road with inadequate illegal tires and slide sideways, blocking the road. I usually ski from opening until about 2:00 without stopping for lunch, so I get about as much skiing in as if I had stopped for lunch and skied until nearly closing (3:30 most of the season, this far north).

I rarely travel to ski.

Once in a great while, a cat ski day may become available, but that's strictly a matter of chance. Last year I hit a powder day with Valhalla and somebody else paid for the seat, so that was definitely a no-brainer!

And as Tony S suggested, "So what? Who cares about the skiing habits/plans of a bunch of old geezers?"

Sponsor

Staff online