• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Retirees: what's your skiing schedule?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious about time management for all you skiing retirees out there - how do you plan what days to go skiing over the course of a winter?
:Teleb:
We all want to be out there for fresh snow days or sunny days with packed powder, but do you also try to keep to a regular schedule and ski certain days of the week on a recurring basis? How far do you live from the slopes? Are you close enough to commute multiple days per week to a ski area? If you live a little farther away, such as 2-3 hours from skiing, do you cherry pick and go skiing only on days when conditions/weather is optimal? Do you combat the crowds and ski on weekends or mostly stick to weekdays? Do you ski all day or just a few hours? Are you gung ho and out there most days all winter? What motivates you to ski on days that are not so user-friendly? Also, please discuss what goes into planning your vacation skiing, that is longer trips to distant ski destinations, from the perspective of a retiree with more flexibility over their time.
:daffy:

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
When home and not on a project Friday is the for sure day. My home mountain 49° North is closed Wednesday & Thursday. "Powder Friday" can be a very real thing. If no fresh in the forecast, whenever I can slip off the leash.
This winter it looks like I'm a weekend warrior again. Much worse things can happen.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
IN THEORY, I ski five days a week -- Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. I like having a break after two to three days and because of the church-going population here, Sunday mornings aren't that bad. That Wednesday is the day all appointments are scheduled. In practice, I could take off Tuesday instead if nothing's scheduled and I think conditions will be better. And also in practice if I have a migraine or whatever, I might not get five days in.

I'm 16 minutes from garage to parking lot, which makes last minute decisions very easy.

I ski until I feel myself tiring, which means my ski day gets longer over the season. I'm a pass holder so there's no need to push it. My "big vert" days are behind me. I did 50k+ once, years ago. And then didn't ski the next day. I've found that days more than roughly 20%-ish over the median I've been doing at any point tend to mean a migraine the next day. It's better to do smaller days more often.

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stick to nice weather days, although I will sometimes take one off if I am tired or have something else that needs doing. I also tend to skip Saturdays since that is busiest at Sun Valley.
I live 13 miles from the mountain parking lot.
As I get older (going on 73), my days are getting shorter and amount of vertical is getting less.
Most of my trips to other areas are late season after Sun Valley closes. I have taken trips early season or in March for my birthday, but it has been a few years. Since we are now affiliated with Epic pass instead of MCP, this will affect my trips. Bachelor is still good since I can get a senior spring pass for $130 or so and reasonably priced lodging in town.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
My third winter now in frugal yet comfortable retirement. Have the auto-renewed $425 Epic Senior Tahoe Value Pass. No wife, kids, job, or commitments, so can go skiing whenever. For many years, I've skied for the most fun and enjoyment thus not some challenge, skill improvement, or goal. If I lived close to Tahoe resorts, I'd ski a lot more days, especially just for short periods. However I don't, as I live 4 to 6 hours of boring monotonous driving from my 3 pass resorts that is a not trivial minimal $50 gasoline cost for this peon.

Additionally I don't think my old, easily damaged body, could handle skiing continuously several hours each day, week after week, even if I wanted to, which I do not. Instead I have found 2 or 3 intense days on slopes between 5 or 4 days back home to recover, has allowed me to ski weekly all winter and will fit in worthwhile fresh powder days as is possible. This last decade, I've tended to not ski long days because mogul skiing will be an exertion even when efficient. Occasionally deal with firm hard pack snow conditions when moguls are too firm so stay away, and only then may ski all day on steeper groomed slopes without tiring much. Last Friday, day 1 this season, I just skied 3.5 hours mid day cranking short dynamic turns down the same blue/black slope. By the end was feeling a bit sore that is good as that means muscle micro tears but did not want to push it as it is wise for we old folks to be conservative with our bodies that do not recover or repair as readily. And yesterday woke up with no issues, so next week will ski 2 stronger days continuing to build body strength.

The value pass limits me to just skiing Heavenly on Saturdays that together with lodging costs is the main factor syncing to something of a weekly pattern. The South Lake Tahoe area with it 50k local population and huge Friday/Saturday gambler lodging base, makes for mid week lodging at less than $60 a night, all taxes included, about as cheap as anywhere at resort bases in ski country. Skiing Heavenly on Saturdays is fine as I often just mostly yoyo on Comet Express Chair skiing Little Dipper moguls. About as perfect a recreational mogul slope as anywhere with a high packed powder snow elevation, lots of locals keeping bumps shapes loose and optimal, a lift audience for show offs all the way down, cool people, and even on the weekend, the singles line is rarely more than a few minute wait.

Fresh powder is a complex strategy game too I'm again flexible about. I won't bother going out of my way to drive up to ski high water content powder conditions and rather target fresh snow with reasonable lower elevation snow levels. And am no stranger to storm skiing as long as winds are manageable as have all the foul weather gear. Kirkwood with its huge snow dumps is an outstanding resort for steep and deep, but also has plenty of less obvious lower mountain terrain that tends to be ignored by advanced skiers, especially in dense tree areas. Heavenly given enough base, has considerable areas of tight trees and awkward to get into ignored areas I could ski little tracked fresh snow for hours even on weekends. Sometimes its laughable what so many others miss. And on days highways close, I'll also make the shorter drive to ski Dodge Ridge on deep cold snow days as there is far less advanced skier/boarder competition, and considerable obscure tree areas to work all day.

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I ski on Mt Hood primarily, as it is an easy commute from Beaverton Oregon. I get the FUSION pass which is good for Mt Hood Skibowl and Timberline Lodge. Weekdays, I look at the weather conditions and find the best 2 days and head up, staying at my friend's condo at Government Camp (I trade him for days at our beach house).

Weekends and holidays I ski with my son and grandsons at either Skibowl or Timberline Lodge.

This season I also purchased the midweek-only "Value Pass" for Mt Hood Meadows, so the plan is midweek I can choose Meadows, Timberline, or Skibowl (provided it actually starts snowing this season :( )

For the past several years, I've planned and gone on a week-long ski trip, somewhere. This year the plan is different: 2-days of Cat Skiing at Soldier Mountain in Idaho. I will also probably visit my daughter to ski at Anthony Lakes in eastern Oregon.

Being retired is great, and season passes are pretty cheap. It makes skiing easy.

PS: I love to ski while it is snowing, even wet heavy snow mixed with some rain. It just makes it much more enjoyable.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I go when I feel like it. I watch the weather and try and make it up on the nice days. Sometimes that's once per week, sometimes it's five. No schedule. I try and get one weekend day in since that's when my wife @AKMINK can make it. (Someone has to work and pay the bills!)

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great feed back. Interesting to compare posts from those living within a few minutes commute of the slopes and those living 2-5 hours away.
@SSSdave : do you ski alone most of the time? It would sure be nice to have a ski buddy to carpool with in your situation. Do you often meet up with people on the slopes?
@KingGrump : you and M are the ultimate senior ski bums!
@Sibhusky : you are living the senior ski dream!
@Bad Bob : one hour commute from home to slopes is pretty nice.
@bbinder : you are going to switch from veteran vet to rookie ski bum. Enjoy the adjustment!
@pchewn : nice job blending family time and house swapping with your retiree schedule!
@Bill Miles : senior skiing role model!
@Andy Mink : stud muffin.

My situation is similar to SSSDaves for first half of season (in the East), then like Sibhuskys for second half of season (I relocate to the West).

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I should add that I'm only 30-35 minutes from Mt. Rose and 40-45 minutes from Squaw/Alpine. Throw Northstar in there if I had Epic. Also about 45 minutes from Diamond Peak should the urge hit. A little longer to several other Tahoe area hills. It doesn't suck to live in Reno if you like to ski.:golfclap:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I ski alone mainly because there are not many advanced skiers in this era that focus on moguls but rather all mountain. That noted I enjoy skiing with compatible others or taking a run or two with those that are not quite so, especially gals. Because I've been skiing over decades and tend to get into chairlift conversations, a modest number of people are chair lift acquaintances or others that know and or recognize me.

Generally linking up to share driving is more difficult midweek but I'm open to it if Heavenly and cheap stateline lodging plus length of trip works. I'm also in an old ski club now with a north Tahoe cabin I might occasionally link up with others. Also just may get out late winter for a trip to Denver in order to ski Mary Jane as in Denver have a niece with a new child and an old bump skiing friend I can stay with.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Retired skiing ?

Live 56min from Silver Mt. and 1hr 15min from Lookout Pass ski resort.

Ski as much as possible. Watch the snow each day and try to ski powder. Prefer weekdays and look at webcams and snow report each mourning at 0600. My very favorite time to ski is when the temp. never gets above 30 degrees and then the snow is great if we are getting powder the now conditions can really be good. Cannot really ski hard more than 3 days in a row and need a knee/rest day.

Rarely ski till 4pm due to my 77yrs. If powder is going to be good or even better the next day then I will often ski all morning 0830 to 1230 nonstop and then hit the bar for lunch and may call it a day then or go out and take a couple more and quit.

Since being retired my top count is 99days. Last year did 68days. Used to travel a lot (Portillo,Australia, BC etc.) but find myself sticking closer to home the last few years. Have sorta lost my desire to hit the road like I used to love.

Ski with friends a lot now and not so much by myself. Still take a private lesson each year (begin of yr) from a friend who is examiner level instr. finds this keeps me up with new ideas etc. Am an advanced skier but don't do any jumping anymore, avoid steeps when icy but still enjoy speed, bumps, trees, off piste. Unlike some of my powder buds I still like skiing groomers and enjoy making clean turns anywhere.

I may not be a good example as I am a real ski addict and truly love our sport. History contains; 25yrs of racing, instructor and even now I am a volunteer Host at Silver Mt. and work Saturdays and some Holidays. Love helping people, guiding around the resort and generally just answering questions and helping people out.

Skis: Groomer when snow is hard Elan 88xti 180, Everyday ski Elan Ripstick96 174cm, Powder heli or cat skiing Praxis Protest 174cm, rock skis Blizzard Bonafide-lst yr out-180cm triple core shot early season rock skis.
Hope your season will be as good as mine. My best Pete

Last edited:

Unmarkedobstacles

Back to being the UnofficialAlpine.com guy
Industry Insider
I ski every day, unless I am sick or need to be out of town for something. Most of my ski buddies ski 2 hours. I usually ski until 1 or 2. I do ski on weekends as well as my wife can only ski weekends. I am 21 minutes from my mountain in good weather without traffic. 30 minutes is a reasonable non-holiday estimate.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pretty much retired for 4 years. Tend to do:

a. One annual very long distance trip to other hemisphere for 2 to 4 months, stay on the mountain and ski most days with occasional day off from the serious business of having fun. The only time the mountain I now go to is busy is Saturday morning which is good time to service skis. Rest of the time it's very quiet - straight on to the lift, if not with buddies may not see another skier/boarder on the ungroomed for several runs.

b. Back in home country, work it week on, week off as the wife still committed to a career. It's 5 hour home to accomm but a short 20 min ride to resort so ski every day.

Tend to be out in it several hours per day. Rare day it's less than (or more than) 20k-25k vert. Less is too much of a hobby and more is too much of a full time occupation.

Not sure if I fully understand the concept of "...not so user friendly..." It's a mountain resort where nature, gravity, the resort operator, the occasional fellow participant and 75% of the baristas are constantly conspiring to maim or kill us. There's nothing remotely user friendly about it. Ever. Doesn't mean it isn't fun.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I ski typically 3-4 days a week. 2 days are working on skis. Both resorts are 45 min drive. Car pool to 1 resort. Usually ski with a friend. 1 week in March I take a ski trip. Total about 70 days a year.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a pass holder at our local hill aprox 30 miles/40-45 minutes from the house. I'd say I average 6 out of 7 days per week. My wife will come many of the days, but I'm enough of a fixture I can usually find someone to ski with at most times. I'm happy to break off and ski by myself at times. I'll ski in most conditions except pouring rain. I'm happy to dial it down and ski with the grandkids on weekends as I get plenty of slope time during the week. We'll do a 3-4 week trip out west as IKON passholders. I logged 106 days last season.

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Retired skiing ?

Live 56min from Silver Mt. and 1hr 15min from Lookout Pass ski resort.

Ski as much as possible. Watch the snow each day and try to ski powder. Prefer weekdays and look at webcams and snow report each mourning at 0600. My very favorite time to ski is when the temp. never gets above 30 degrees and then the snow is great if we are getting powder the now conditions can really be good. Cannot really ski hard more than 3 days in a row and need a knee/rest day.

Rarely ski till 4pm due to my 77yrs. If powder is going to be good or even better the next day then I will often ski all morning 0830 to 1230 nonstop and then hit the bar for lunch and may call it a day then or go out and take a couple more and quit.

Since being retired my top count is 99days. Last year did 68days. Used to travel a lot (Portillo,Australia, BC etc.) but find myself sticking closer to home the last few years. Have sorta lost my desire to hit the road like I used to love.

Ski with friends a lot now and not so much by myself. Still take a private lesson each year (begin of yr) from a friend who is examiner level instr. finds this keeps me up with new ideas etc. Am an advanced skier but don't do any jumping anymore, avoid steeps when icy but still enjoy speed, bumps, trees, off piste. Unlike some of my powder buds I still like skiing groomers and enjoy making clean turns anywhere.

I may not be a good example as I am a real ski addict and truly love our sport. History contains; 25yrs of racing, instructor and even now I am a volunteer Host at Silver Mt. and work Saturdays and some Holidays. Love helping people, guiding around the resort and generally just answering questions and helping people out.

Skis: Groomer when snow is hard Elan 88xti 180, Everyday ski Elan Ripstick96 174cm, Powder heli or cat skiing Praxis Protest 174cm, rock skis Blizzard Bonafide-lst yr out-180cm triple core shot early season rock skis.
Hope your season will be as good as mine. My best Pete
Goodluck!

Sponsor

Staff online