• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Retired the tent

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It becomes a relatively inexpensive way to travel when you hit the road for longer periods of time. We prefer a motorhome for that reason. The driving is much more comfortable and I can get up and make lunch while Bob drives. We do like to go for 4-5 weeks at a time. Sometimes we boondock and sometimes we stay at state parks. Only occasionally do we use "RV resorts" because the prices are so high. Ski season is the exception because RV resorts are often the only game in town during early spring. We bought a gently used rig 16 years ago and have definitely got our money's worth out of it. Now we are deciding whether or not to buy a diesel pusher bus for longer trips. Again, we will buy used and Bob is a mechanic so we don't worry too much about maintenance costs. If you have the time to travel and like to road trip, I highly recommend it.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I think I am getting this thing nailed down. Last weekend I was able to pull in, level, stabilize, put the slide and awning out, out door stove and grill, tables and mat down in about a half hour by myself. Showers are getting longer now that I have a better idea of the water I am using. Still havent used the black tank much.

It is rolling this weekend also. First time up on real highway so we will see where the gas mileage lands. The state hwys that are 2 and 4 lane on and off with lights and hills that I have run on so far equal just over 7 MPG. I am curious where it will be on a longer rolling road where the speed will be pretty stable. Hoping for 9. Going to be a little lighter also.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I think I am getting this thing nailed down. Last weekend I was able to pull in, level, stabilize, put the slide and awning out, out door stove and grill, tables and mat down in about a half hour by myself. Showers are getting longer now that I have a better idea of the water I am using. Still havent used the black tank much.

It is rolling this weekend also. First time up on real highway so we will see where the gas mileage lands. The state hwys that are 2 and 4 lane on and off with lights and hills that I have run on so far equal just over 7 MPG. I am curious where it will be on a longer rolling road where the speed will be pretty stable. Hoping for 9. Going to be a little lighter also.

How about repairs? I have close friends who have gone through 5 RVs in as many years. Each of these vehicles has presentsed them with major repairs each time they set off, thus their decisions to trade in and get something different. My impression of RVs in general for this reason is that they break down all the time; refrigerator, hvac, water, electrical system, tires, you name it.

Does your have major things breaking all the time?

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
How about repairs? I have close friends who have gone through 5 RVs in as many years. Each of these vehicles has presentsed them with major repairs each time they set off, thus their decisions to trade in and get something different. My impression of RVs in general for this reason is that they break down all the time; refrigerator, hvac, water, electrical system, tires, you name it.

Nope. There are a couple things that it needs to go back to the dealer on. The antenna booster doesnt go off, the bathroom door latch pulled out, and one of the plastic rivets popped in the shower. Thats it. I did some research on models that are rated better and worse. Forest River, in the higher end units, is rated real well. I didnt get the top of the line, but it wasnt the Chevette on the showroom floor. My shooting season ends late Oct, so after that I will make an appt to take her in. I did get the warranty to cover the ac and fridge and such over and above the manufactures year warrenty, so I should be covered if something happens. I am also following the directions and not trying to run my AC on a 2000w gen or a 15 amp 120vac house current. I dont overload. It is run level with the right pressure in the tires.. so far so good.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier

Our first one only had a couple of minor issues in the 2.5 years we owned it and they were repaired quickly by the dealer. Our new fifth wheel suffered a major failure of the hydraulic leveling system the third time out. It took me 10 days to get it out of the campground after the manufacturer of the components sent a mobile tech to work on it and even then the dealer had it for several more weeks to fix it. Major warranty issues are a hassle and a long process. The RV manufacturer was telling me it shouldn't take more than a few days for approvals and parts but the dealer was telling me 4-6 after having it 3 weeks already. I went to retrieve it so I could use it because was at least usuable when I dropped it off but when I did the part had failed again. I made a big enough scene in the middle of the service department that they pulled parts off another new unit to get it fixed and it back to me in 36 hours. I felt bad about being so hard on the service writer but his communication was poor making a bad situation worse. Besides when you drop $50K on something you shouldn't be expected to be without it for half of the usable season and for that to be considered normal.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier

Our first one only had a couple of minor issues in the 2.5 years we owned it and they were repaired quickly by the dealer. Our new fifth wheel suffered a major failure of the hydraulic leveling system the third time out. It took me 10 days to get it out of the campground after the manufacturer of the components sent a mobile tech to work on it and even then the dealer had it for several more weeks to fix it. Major warranty issues are a hassle and a long process. The RV manufacturer was telling me it shouldn't take more than a few days for approvals and parts but the dealer was telling me 4-6 after having it 3 weeks already. I went to retrieve it so I could use it because was at least usuable when I dropped it off but when I did the part had failed again. I made a big enough scene in the middle of the service department that they pulled parts off another new unit to get it fixed and it back to me in 36 hours. I felt bad about being so hard on the service writer but his communication was poor making a bad situation worse. Besides when you drop $50K on something you shouldn't be expected to be without it for half of the usable season and for that to be considered normal.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Our RV life took an unexpected turn this fall. We picked up a travel trailer parked on a permanent site in southern Ohio. I've been back and forth over whether or not I would like it and my wife always said she thought permanent sites were dumb since RVs were for traveling but after spending less than 15 hours there visiting some friends for the weekend she decided it was the right thing to do. It sure is nice to only have to turn on the water and open a beer when we get there.
L1.jpg
L3.jpg
L2.jpg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Grew up camping, family trips, Boy Scouts, etc... Raised my family camping in tents. After the kids left the nest, we got a popup and used that for 10 years. Funny how one accumulates gear and the camping experience evolves to more comfort and convenience. I laughed when I found some old camping photos of my wife and I, before we married. Truly minimalist with a small tent, ice chest, two folding lawn chairs and an old milk crate with a few pots and pans. Over the years, it gradually grew into this huge array of "stuff" that took hours to setup and teardown. Outdoor kitchen, EZ-up, patio mat, potty/shower tent, chairs, recliners, flags, etc... I joked that by the time I got everything set up, it was time to start tearing it down!

But as we transitioned to more "travel," vs. single-destination style camping, we realized the popup, love it as we did, was a total PITA for overnight stays on the way. We already had a paid for diesel pickup, so the logical next step was a travel trailer. Not too small but not too big, we still like staying in the more primitive campgrounds. In September 2019 we brought home a Nash 23D. Perfect for the two of us, queen bed, slideout dinette, kitchen and bathroom. Plenty of storage and the arrival setup is minimal. In fact, we have overnighted enroute without even unhitching a few times. We did a couple of local long weekends and then 10 days in Colorado in August, then a three week trip to Ohio in September to visit family. Looking forward to hitting the road next year for some further adventures.

Grand Mesa Colorado August 2020
original.jpg

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
Funny, I have gone the other way in retirement years. I have gone from a 31' Airstream and one ton diesel to an fat e bike and bikepacking tent. I will be getting into some pretty serious bikepacking trips next summer. I need to spend about $2k more for a nice setup or build another bike for a $10k setup. Putting on the Wazia full studded tires on the fat wheels tomorrow. We have some nice weather for the next several days. I might do an overnighter trip.

Sponsor