• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Responding to an emergency while off duty

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
My wife and I came upon an accident the other day and stopped to see if assistance was needed. Luckily all involved were fine and I never even had to do a real assessment other than a basic ABCD. At that time paramedics showed and I immediately backed away. This got me to thinking about our responsibilities as first responders and what that meant off the hill. There was an article I spotted on Linked In that I think gives some good basic answers that we should all keep in mind.
https://www.ems1.com/als/articles/3...-provide-off-duty-assistance-at-crash-scenes/

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our division stresses that as a ski patroller our responsibility to respond to accidents ends at the ski area parking lot. Anything beyond that you are acting as a Good Samaritan and it is entirely up to you as to what extent you wish to help. You will want to check your local laws to see if you are legally protected from liability in these situations. In my case in Alaska, I am protected from liability so long as I do not overstep the limits of my training.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
In BC we are Good Samaritans as well. Seemed one winter everytime we came off the hill to go home on a Sun night there would be a car rolled or in the ditch. Luckily they were mostly ok. Was surprised when a RCMP cruiser stopped and just told us to take what ever First Aid supplies we needed from the car. Its a lonely stretch of road as cell phones do not work for about 40k.

Sponsor