• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Resort Powder, Gone in 60 seconds

James

Out There
Instructor
This is ridiculous.
Why don't we just include everyone in the lodge? Oh, we did.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Technically, when you go outside of the piste markers, then you're off piste. That said, there is some terrain just to the side of pistes that is controlled because it would cause a danger to pistes or structures below. Also, some terrain isn't steep enough to cause a real danger, and some terrain usually doesn't have any layers built up because it gets skied practically every day. So, there is a lot of terrain that is safe, but it's mixed in with terrain that can be dangerous, and there are no markers to indicate which is which.

Here is an example of the unsafe kind:
1C121499-2AE8-4A72-A43E-99FDF5A54873.jpeg

A Girl wanted to take a break, so she skied off to the side of the groomed trail. As soon as she did, it triggered this avalanche. She was rescued unharmed after 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
well heck, if you want to talk about every kind of danger at the resort, don't neglect icicles and roof avalanches. This season alone I've seen 3 pretty good icicles and one (icy/solid slab) rooftop avalanche come down. 4stories+buildings, all onto walkways, any of them would've been lethal if it hit someone. The rooftop one was really close. Someone just walking along and basically 1 foot or 1second in timing from being killed.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
well heck, if you want to talk about every kind of danger at the resort, don't neglect icicles and roof avalanches. This season alone I've seen 3 pretty good icicles and one (icy/solid slab) rooftop avalanche come down. 4stories+buildings, all onto walkways, any of them would've been lethal if it hit someone. The rooftop one was really close. Someone just walking along and basically 1 foot or 1second in timing from being killed.
I don't usually quote myself, but well shit, i just heard on the radio this happened
https://www.recordcourier.com/news/local/mother-son-killed-in-kirkwood-skiing-accident/

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'd guess that you've never set off a slide inbounds. Some of us have.

I have. About 8-10" of storm slab. Snow fell after 5am and patrol had not been to the area since (slide happened around 1130am).

Most if not all inbounds slides on open terrain are within the storm snow. Obviously in the Sierra there were just giant amounts of snow during the past storm which created some very dangerous situations.

Nasty deep slab avalanches are quite rare inbounds. I think there was one at A Basin a few years ago that caught patrol and some skiers during a directed skiing session at that particular spot. So technically the slope was not open yet.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Nasty deep slab avalanches are quite rare inbounds. I think there was one at A Basin a few years ago that caught patrol and some skiers during a directed skiing session at that particular spot. So technically the slope was not open yet.

Persistent deep slab avalanches are rare in the backcountry as well, but are extremely dangerous as they can be remotely triggered and go very big. We had a couple of deep persistent slab problems release at Snowmass a week or so ago. The terrain was not open, but the slabs were very thick. With a very slow start, the thin snowpack was exposed to cold temperatures and went to facets. Lots of snow later with wind built strong storm and wind slabs. And since the terrain had not been open, there was little skier compaction to consolidate the weak and strong layers.

upload_2018-3-6_7-51-37.png

The risk isn't just from the unopened terrain -- terrain traps are sufficient to trap, bury, shred, injure, and/or kill you.

The point is that while the risk of an (inbounds or out of bounds) avalanche is generally low, you ought to pay attention to the conditions, the terrain, and your effect on the snowpack and make decisions accordingly, regardless of whether you are inbounds or in the back country.

Mike

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know a bunch of you think that this is absurd and not appealing, and to some extent I agree, but I live near Boston. 1200 feet of in-bounds vertical with untracked powder in an above tree-line bowl doesn't exist out here. Getting any untracked for a weekend warrior on the East Coast is very rare (if I lived near Stowe or Jay and could ski during the week I might change my tune). If I were on vacation and I had the opportunity to wait for that rope drop and partake in the craziness, I would do it in a heart beat...

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread. I went to Snowbird for the first time last week, and had the opportunity to ski Mineral Basin and partake in the craziness after they got almost 20" the day before. It was crazy, but it was awesome. I've never skied untracked powder (even if it didn't last very long) in such a wide open space before. It didn't last long but it was incredible.

I'm sure if I lived out West and had the opportunity to ski more powder or do backcountry skiing I would think this is all absurd, but I'm not there yet ogwink.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We happened on the tunnel to Mineral Basin (Snowbird) about 5 minutes after it opened last week. As we were riding the conveyor belt, people started walking past us up the tunnel (in spite of the "stay on the belt" signs). It started as a few snowboarders, but by the time we reached the exit it was a steady stream including lots of skiers. They were walking about double the speed of the belt, so they passed quite a few people.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We happened on the tunnel to Mineral Basin (Snowbird) about 5 minutes after it opened last week. As we were riding the conveyor belt, people started walking past us up the tunnel (in spite of the "stay on the belt" signs). It started as a few snowboarders, but by the time we reached the exit it was a steady stream including lots of skiers. They were walking about double the speed of the belt, so they passed quite a few people.
I don't get that. :huh:

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier

You're allowed to walk through the tunnel. The "stay on the belt" signs are for people who got on the belt, they don't want people seeing others walk by them and injure themselves trying to get off and beat the walkers, ;).

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Resort powder is alive and well! Today at Squaw (where the powder goes away fastest) we found enough untracked (lap after lap) to obliterate our thighs. It didn't help that yesterday was incredible untracked as well.

Yesterday, we got Headwall opening. Nothing like the snopocalypses. Civilized and friendly lift line. We had Sun Bowl almost to ourselves - fortunately a couple (literally two) people broke the traverse out for us (that will teach the girls to ski faster than me - but I can be VERY slow when it's called for) (really, thanks). Second lap was just as good.

We stayed at the bottom both days. But the reports and vibe from the top was just as good. Smiles everywhere.

Those weren't our only good powder days this year.

Powder at resorts is not the only focus at the resorts (bumps rock!). But it's still a vibrant and enjoyable part of resort skiing.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online