• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to feed the thread drift...but...

How come women's sizing is always all over the map? But men's seem to always be generally the same? My husband wear's the same size 99% of the time. I own shirts ranging from XS-XL depending on brand/style/mood of the person that manufactured it.
I have trouble finding consistency from brand to brand and in some cases even collection to collection within a brand. So, it's not just the ladies.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
But men's seem to always be generally the same? My husband wear's the same size 99% of the time.

I have trouble finding consistency from brand to brand and in some cases even collection to collection within a brand. So, it's not just the ladies.

I've known men who can just pull a size off the wall, no problem. I suspect they gravitate to a certain subset of pants, though. I've also heard from men who have the same issue, especially with baggy vs straight fit jeans, for example. I don't know if the waist measurement represents the person's waist, or the actual length of the material.

I once pissed off a sales clerk by asking to use the men's changing room to try on men's jeans ... ever the trouble maker.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Footwear. Why is a 9 not a 9 not a 9 across the board? How freakin' hard is it to have a set standard?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to feed the thread drift...but...

How come women's sizing is always all over the map? But men's seem to always be generally the same? My husband wear's the same size 99% of the time. I own shirts ranging from XS-XL depending on brand/style/mood of the person that manufactured it.

AMEN! Slightly more difficult than mens, but why can't women's pants be 3 numbers...Waist-Hips-Length.

As Phil posted above, he has had some issue with fit in certain brands, but not as often as I do.

I'll be honest - partly my response to the Shebeest offerings - and I'll tell you, they've been around at least the 15 years I've been riding, probably more - is, meh, the XLs still probably won't fit me. I should not be so cynical, but feeling otherwise would be the triumph of hope over experience.
In She Beest, you may be a 3X which isn't true to your actual size either.

My Demos are sized like men's pants, by waist measurement. I realize women's waist measurements are not indicative of their hips etc, but why can't we have waist measurements + butt and thigh? It's crazy. They wouldn't even have to change the manufacturing - just rite some numbers on the label. I had to return Patagucci snow pants last year - the waist had plenty of room, but I swear the legs would have split if I'd flexed my quads. Whose body is shaped like that??
Troublemaker!!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Footwear. Why is a 9 not a 9 not a 9 across the board? How freakin' hard is it to have a set standard?
:thumb:
Almost everyone I know in a FiveTen bike shoe is up 1/2 size.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
interbike logo.png

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2018 Interbike Innovation Award Winners Announced

Reno, Nev. – September 20, 2018 – The second annual Interbike Innovation Awards were decided today at Interbike 2018. The Interbike Innovation Awards showcase excellence in product, retail, advocacy and exhibitor booths. Product-specific awards were distributed across the mountain, road, e-bike and triathlon categories. Interbike partnered with Hi-Torque Publications to evaluate and select the winners in mountain, road and electric. All triathlon product award recipients were selected by Triathlete Magazine.

Ten Retailer Innovation Award winners were chosen by Bicycle Retailer And Industry News (BRAIN), The Mann Group, The National Bicycle Dealers Association (NBDA) and Interbike. The winning retailer implemented innovative ideas and strategies to their business with positive results over the past 12 months.

Booth innovation and design awards were led by editorial staff from Exhibitor Magazine, the monthly business-to-business magazine featuring best practices in trade shows and events.

The awards were distributed as follows: (note: all category descriptions can be found on the Interbike Website):

Road Product Innovation

• Bianchi E-Aria
  • Reform Road Saddle
  • Hope RX4 Disc Brake
  • Pioneer CA600 Computer
Ebike Product Innovation

• Bosch Power Tube
  • Pivot Shuttle
Mountain Bike Product Innovation

• Pivot Firebird 929
  • Shimano ME5 Shoe
  • Leatt DBX 4.0 Helmet
  • Oakley DRT5 Helmet
  • Enduro Bearings 12 speed pulley
Triathlon Product Innovation

• Phoenix 2.0 hub system
  • Elite Nero Smart Rollers
  • Stompump
Retailer Innovation

• Topanga Creek Outpost - Topanga, CA
  • Babcock Bicycles - Endicott, NY
  • Level 9 Sports - Woods Cross, UT
  • Wheelhouse Detroit - Hamtramck, MI
  • Aaron's Bicycle Repair, Inc - Seattle, WA
  • Absolute Bikes Salida - Salida, CO
  • Bloomington Cycle and Fitness - Bloomington, IL
  • Outback Bikes - Atlanta, GA
  • Frisco Bike Shop - Willard, MO
  • 718 Cyclery - Brooklyn, NY
Booth Design and Innovation

• Ride Concepts
  • Osprey
  • Thule

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've known men who can just pull a size off the wall, no problem. I suspect they gravitate to a certain subset of pants, though. I've also heard from men who have the same issue, especially with baggy vs straight fit jeans, for example. I don't know if the waist measurement represents the person's waist, or the actual length of the material.
IME, most men can pull off most pants..it's more a question of can they get it over or under their gut! :D Men usually have chicken legs and butts..

I once pissed off a sales clerk by asking to use the men's changing room to try on men's jeans ... ever the trouble maker.
Why would they care? Not like you're going in and dropping a deuce..just trying some clothes on.... :huh: Or is this a belief thing..

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, I would never have picked that out. Apologies to @Philpug . The guy I picked is probably too big, but I always see you in ski gear!
I told you it was tricky.
Phil will take a picture of me in a little while and do the same contest.
Pay attention ;)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In She Beest, you may be a 3X which isn't true to your actual size either.

Troublemaker!!

For the most part I've finally given up on cycling clothes sizes and just buy what fits regardless of what it says. I will say that buying a silk jacket in Chinatown in San Francisco was a bit demoralizing because I needed a 4x. But, Asian sizing is SOOOOO different than US or even Europe so I just ignored it. I can't wait until it cools off enough to wear that jacket.

Anyhow, sorry for the drift. I do appreciate that brands like SheBeest and Pearl at least recognize that cyclists that aren't tiny do exist and make larger sizes even if I do have to size up from what I generally wear in street clothes.

I mean, check out this picture from SheBeest's website. Not only making plus size cycling clothes but actually using plus sized women (with a belly) for their website photos.

upload_2018-9-20_10-53-22.png

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Why would they care? Not like you're going in and dropping a deuce..just trying some clothes on.... :huh: Or is this a belief thing..

I'm guessing, in retrospect, that if a man came in and wanted to try something on, he could be made uncomfortable by having a woman in the changing room, even though of course we'd be in separate changing rooms. It's a cultural thing, and with the benefit of time and maybe wisdom, it would have been kinder and more reasonable for me to slightly inconvenience myself by walking across to the women's changing room.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Find Tricia for a prize.
A024D289-5401-4E0C-97BF-6A1FC7FBFF0A.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Dang, late again!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I talked to a several bike clothing manufacturers who had no answer to your plea about bike shorts length for men, other than....That's the way men's shorts are.

Yup. But thanks for trying. I'll check out the one you linked to.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I absolutely agree, when you find something that fits, you stick with it.

When I saw the horses on bike shorts, I thought of you.
I know you're not western, but still....
img_0208-jpg.53896
Oh, I'd totally rock those!