• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Replacing my perfect wind resistant jacket

EverywhereHome

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
For almost 15 years I have loved my REI Syncro jacket. It's basically a full-zip Denali lookalike but it's made of stretch-woven Polartec Wind Pro (60 CFM) instead of 300 and it's got thinner side panels that make it a little cooler. It's 22 ounces. It is now embarrassing to wear because stains. I still wear it, but it's embarrassing. Can you help me find my new favorite wind-resistant jacket?

I'd rather not have an argument about wind resistance. I like "useless" mid-range CFM jackets. Low CFM is too warm, high CFM may as well be a T-shirt.

Criteria seem to be:
  • Full zip
  • Wind resistant but not wind proof (no membrane)
  • Comfy (pebbled or curly fleece) inside
  • All or mostly fleece outside (Denali-style panels are okay)
  • Prefer (but getting desperate so...)
    • No hood
    • Smooth (not pebbled or curly) fleece outside

I use this for skiing when it's not too rainy (after that I add a shell) and knocking about San Francisco, New York, or Pittsburgh when it's chilly but above freezing.

In terms of materials, nobody seems to make jackets out of Wind Pro anymore. Windbloc (0 CFM), WindStopper (1 CFM), Power Shield Pro (2 CFM), Power Shield Pro (7 CFM), and WindWall 2 (10 CFM) don't seem breathable enough. Polartec Power Stretch might be right but it's marketed as "Value Oriented" so I can't tell if it will hold up. WindWall 1 (40 CFM) might be right but I can't find much about it and am not a huge fan of North Face.

I don't *think* I want a Denali -- it sounds like it's much warmer (but I could be wrong because the total weight is similar). The EMS Divergence seems about right but also is no longer made.

Halp?

Thank you!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
1.- Do you really want fleece, or are you open to other options?
2. - I tried TNF windwall fabric on a jacket last year. I used that jacket twice and religated it to yard work duty (Moving wood into the sugar shack & working on the tractor). I thought it was extremely unbreathable, but it is very durable.

TS
E

EverywhereHome

Skier
1. I'm shooting for fleece but if somebody has invented something breathable but not fleece I'd be interested in hearing about it
2. I'm sure Windwall 2 would be unbreathable. I've never tried Windwall 1. If you know which TNF jacket it is I could look it up and maybe rule out Windwall 1 too.

It's interesting to me that both similar jackets (Divergence and Syncro) came into style and went out of style over the same period... I wonder if wind resistant fleece is not technical enough for people who use multiple layers but too technical for casual users.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
How casual vs technical do you want the jacket to look?

Melanzana makes a Wind Pro hoodie. But they don't ship.

If you know that is the fabric you like, I'd just search around on google for it. You may find it in unlikely places.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@EverywhereHome - see the link below fir the jacket info. It is very durable, just not breathable.

I'm not sure if wind resistant fleece has lost popularity, it’s very possible. I used to love fleece. But I’ve moved to other active synthetic products & back to merino wool for some products.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@EverywhereHome, I don't understand all the "Denali" references. Is that the model name for a jacket? Could you provide the mfr as well as models when you reference specific items?

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Tops for “breathable but not fleece” is active synthetic insulation, like the Patagonia Nano-Air or the ArcTeryx Proton AR. Wind will cut right through them, so they require a shell for skiing, but as a mid layer, they provide an incredible self-regulating micro climate. I have both examples I mentioned above and I love them both to death and have found that skiing in them plus a waterproof shell has kept me incredible comfortable in most any condition aside from bitter bitter cold. For that, I bring out the down mid laye.

E221b

Skier
There is Gore’s GORE-TEX INFINIUM WINDSTOPPER material that is waterproof and wind proof, though any shell that is “waterproof” will also honestly be “wind proof”.

Also, to me, fleece is the least wind resistant insulation on the market, so if you’re looking for wind resistance, why head towards fleece at all?

TS
E

EverywhereHome

Skier
In short, I like the look and feel of fleece. I've also found that many technical fabrics are either windproof (not breathable) or no better than normal fleece. The two jackets that E221b posted, however, are making me think I might find one. I'd still like fleece, but maybe that's not the best choice anymore...

These posts are amazing. If anyone else can point me to breathable jackets they like (even if they're not fleece), that would be awesome.

@EricG I was hoping your jacket would be WindWall 1 so I could rule it out as not being breathable. It looks like the Apex Bionic 2 is WindWall 2 because they call it "windproof". WindWall 1 is called "wind resistant".

@jmeb I'd like to find something that isn't sheer or rubbery looking, so I guess I'm leaning more toward casual (and that's why I like fleece). I looked for someone who will ship a Wind Pro jacket but I saw a bunch of posts (like this one) that make me think it's not really being used anymore. Maybe I do need to ditch fleece.

@Tony S Sorry -- "Denali" is a TNF jacket that's been around for like 30 years so I assumed it was a useful point of reference. It's basically a fleece jacket with a nylon overlay on the top 1/3. I only really mentioned it to say that I'm okay with some part of the jacket being not fleece. That said, it's starting to seem like I may need to ditch fleece altogether.

@E221b The problem with Windstopper (and other "wind proof" fabrics) is that they're basically not at all breathable. The reason I liked Wind Pro is because it's like 60 CFM which lets a fair amount of air in. Most wind proof jackets don't let any air in or out. The Proton AR and Nano-Air are as close as I've seen to what I'm looking for (40 CFM) but are way warmer than I need. I'm still hoping to find something fleecy but I'll use those as starting points for non-fleece options.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I was going to suggest the Patagonia nano-air. I have both the regular nano-air & non-air hydrid. The hybrid uses a waffle fabric on the sides and back. It has a more technical look though.

Spyder makes a glisade hybrid jacket with fleece on the sides & back and primalift on the front & top of the arms. It’s breathable and compact. It’s on sale less than $100 right now on Spyder’s site.

E221b

Skier
@E221b The problem with Windstopper (and other "wind proof" fabrics) is that they're basically not at all breathable. The reason I liked Wind Pro is because it's like 60 CFM which lets a fair amount of air in. Most wind proof jackets don't let any air in or out. The Proton AR and Nano-Air are as close as I've seen to what I'm looking for (40 CFM) but are way warmer than I need. I'm still hoping to find something fleecy but I'll use those as starting points for non-fleece options.

Arc‘Teryx has the Proton LT (lightweight) and the Proton FL (fast and light) Hoody. Might be exactly what you’re looking for. https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/proton-lt-jacket

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Look into Outdoor Research options with Polartec Alpha Direct. Next level fleece with a non fleece exterior. It is very breathable, a touch more than Patagonia nano air, and cooler too.

Patagonia also offers a fleece nano air hybrid.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I second the Patagonia Nano Air. Maybe the single best piece of gear I own. Very breathable. Warm enough to wear on its own 35 - 45degree weather and great under mu dakine ski jacket in colder situations.

Sponsor

Staff online