• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Replacing my Head Rock'n'Rolls - advice needed

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Looking for a 90-100 mm mid-quiver replacement for my trusty old Head Rock'n'Rolls (RIP Lemmy).

I really enjoyed overall dampness, balanced flex and good carve-ability of the RnRs (reviews from Dawg on Epic and the guys on PMTS were spot on), and would like the successor to be as good in this department. The extras I am looking for are a bit more of tip rocker and a few more cms of length. Intended use of the ski is "soft" Euro resort conditions, on and off piste.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do any testing before next season. So, I put together a list, and would appreciate some advice from the audience, especially former RnRollers or those who know that ski.

Current deals available where I live:
* Scott The Ski (185 - 93 mm waist)
* Head Venturi 95 (181)
* Fischer Ranger 98 (180/188)
* Fischer Motive 95 (180/186)
* 4frnt Gaucho (186 - 100 mm waist)
* Volkl 90eight (184)

Pugski darlings:
* Kastle FX 95/95hp (181)
* Nordica Enforcer 100 or 93 (185)

Skis I did not like or have prejudice against ("negative list"):
* Burlish projectiles for hard charging (MX98, Monster 98, Bonafides, Mantra)
* Lightened up construction or excessive rocker (Q98, Sick Day 95, new K2s, Wailer 99, etc.).

Myself: 6'1/185, level 7+, 30-50 days/year, go fast on groomers, prefer turns elsewhere. My other skis are MX78s (love them) and V-Werk Katanas with AT setup (have not seen action yet).

Thanks, VladSki

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Hi Vlad,

I have owned the Rock n' Roll; it was one of my all-time favorites. One of the things that made it a classic were it's relatively round shape, not much taper at the tip nor tail, and moderate lateral flex, which allowed for a buttery predictability in terms of turn initiation, giving the skier enough edge control without being "edgy" as are many of the skis you said you wanted to avoid.

Out of this list, I would say the Motive 95ti fits that bill extremely well. It has advantages over the R&R on hard snow and edge grip. A bit snappier on groomers. Just as good everywhere else: similar feel, similar tip. The Ranger 98 is more of an off-piste ski, great in choppy snow, a lot more tip rocker; it wouldn't be a direct replacement. The Kastle FX95 is also a stellar choice, but again, a bit more off-piste biased, with more tip rocker, tip taper, and tail rocker and taper. It skis the best out of all the mild 5-point skis I have tried, is likely the overall "best" ski on this list (that is, for people who have to pick one ski, will pick that one) but I can't say it is a direct replacement for the R&R: it isn't quite the groomer ski the R&R was. Of the other skis I have tried, the Enforcer felt a little too laterally stiff and had too much tip rocker/taper to be a replacement as well, it has more of the "edgy" feel than I prefer.

I vote Motive 95. I have sold 2 of the 95's to people who were replacing their R&R, and both were extremely pleased, so I can say firsthand that odds are you will be happy.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I vote Motive 95. I have sold 2 of the 95's to people who were replacing their R&R, and both were extremely pleased, so I can say firsthand that odds are you will be happy.

As someone who also owned the R&R and has never quite found the right replacement, sounds like I really need to get on the Motive 95 for a demo. I think I am down to the FX94 (2015) and the Motive 95 as my likely replacements ... likely can't go wrong with either, and both are great deals now!

TS
VladSki

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Dawg - thanks a lot!

Which length Motives would you recommend based on my stats (in the first post), 180 or 186?

Sponsor

Staff online