• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Replacing Blossom-Built Hart Pulse Skis

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Well ... all good things must come to an end. My beloved Blossom-built Hart Pulse skis were stolen off the deck of our condo in Smugglers' Notch, VT this week!

Looking for a short list of possible replacements. For those who know these skis, I believe they were based on the no-longer-made Blossom Snoras. Dimensions were 124-77-110 with 14.5m turning radius. The perfectly balanced flex and versatility of these skis were their hallmarks. The Blossom tech information was never crystal-clear, but I BELIEVE they were made without titanium. The shape is the same as the Blossom WindShear, but without the metal (Whiteout also has metal, and a more aggressive sidecut). In spite of that, they were remarkably smooth and stable, adept at most turn shapes, and highly versatile. I used them equally on hardpack, ungroomed, bumps, glades, etc., up to around 6" of new snow. They were best with some speed, but not punishing at all in slower skiing.

I've demo'd a bunch of different skis this year, so I at least have a leg-up in the decision process. I've ruled out for various reasons the Kastle MX 74/84, Head Rally/Titan, Blizzard Quattros, and Volkl RTM's. So far, the only thing I've found that may be a pretty close performance match in the Stockli Laser AX (another highly capable, highly versatile ski that seems to adapt readily to many different styles and levels of aggressiveness.)

So ... the potential replacement list currently has 1 entry! Others that might be worthy of serious consideration?? I definitely don't want an all-out carver, or skis that are "locked in" to a particular turn shape. They do need to be able to handle Eastern hardpack, but need more versatility than most carvers I've tried. I also don't want something too "hooky" or tough to release in bumps and tight spaces.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well ... all good things must come to an end. My beloved Blossom-built Hart Pulse skis were stolen off the deck of our condo in Smugglers' Notch, VT this week!

Looking for a short list of possible replacements. For those who know these skis, I believe they were based on the no-longer-made Blossom Snoras. Dimensions were 124-77-110 with 14.5m turning radius. The perfectly balanced flex and versatility of these skis were their hallmarks. The Blossom tech information was never crystal-clear, but I BELIEVE they were made without titanium. The shape is the same as the Blossom WindShear, but without the metal (Whiteout also has metal, and a more aggressive sidecut). In spite of that, they were remarkably smooth and stable, adept at most turn shapes, and highly versatile. I used them equally on hardpack, ungroomed, bumps, glades, etc., up to around 6" of new snow. They were best with some speed, but not punishing at all in slower skiing.

I've demo'd a bunch of different skis this year, so I at least have a leg-up in the decision process. I've ruled out for various reasons the Kastle MX 74/84, Head Rally/Titan, Blizzard Quattros, and Volkl RTM's. So far, the only thing I've found that may be a pretty close performance match in the Stockli Laser AX (another highly capable, highly versatile ski that seems to adapt readily to many different styles and levels of aggressiveness.)

So ... the potential replacement list currently has 1 entry! Others that might be worthy of serious consideration?? I definitely don't want an all-out carver, or skis that are "locked in" to a particular turn shape. They do need to be able to handle Eastern hardpack, but need more versatility than most carvers I've tried. I also don't want something too "hooky" or tough to release in bumps and tight spaces.

Someone stole them? Had to be a mistake. :roflmao:

Stockli Laser AX [/end thread]

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Hi Matt,

My Hart Pulse skis remain safe, just un-skied this winter due to some knee issues. Good luck in your search, no specific suggestions, but, for me, the 77ish waist skies are are very underappreciated, versatile skis.

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
You seemed to really like your older Pulses. I would simply replace the Hart Pulse with the Blossom Windshear. As far as I know from reviews the Windshear is a direct replacement and the Blossom Whiteout a slightly softer model with a tighter radius. Can be ordered on Ebay from Canada, but may take a month for delivery. I personally ordered a pair of Blossom Whiteout Skis last week as a mid-fat all mountain ski.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Let me guess, you don't want the Windshear with Titanal layer because you think it will be too stiff comparing to the Pulse.

But that is not true. As I understand it, the main advantage of titanal layer is the damping at high speed, not stiffen the skis overall.

You can build a titanal-less ski very stiff, or build a ski with titanal very soft. For example, almost all Stockli skis have 2 layers of titanal, but some models are very soft.

With that said, the Stockli AX will be softer than the Blossom Windshear/Whiteout.

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of 2016-17 Blossom White Outs, 176 cm, I have decided to part with. Bought them new about this time last year and have 15-20 days on them. Condition would be 9 out of 10, both tops and bottoms. Tyrolia PRD 12’s on the rail to adjust to nearly any boot. $450 + shipping.

(I need to get them posted here.)

Last edited:
TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I have a pair of 2016-17 Blossom White Outs, 176 cm, I have decided to part with. Bought them new about this time last year and have 15-20 days on them. Condition would be 9 out of 10, both tops and bottoms. Tyrolia PRD 12’s on the rail to adjust to nearly any boot.

Great skis! I also had the PRD 12's on my Pulse, and like that binding. My length would be 170cm, however. Thanks for the post!

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Let me guess, you don't want the Windshear with Titanal layer because you think it will be too stiff comparing to the Pulse.

But that is not true. As I understand it, the main advantage of titanal layer is the damping at high speed, not stiffen the skis overall.

The Windshear is considerably stiffer than the Pulse (I own both, plus a Snoras)... not nearly as versatile. Discontinuing the Snoras was a Mistake IMO. One of the best skis I own.

I have a pair of 2016-17 Blossom White Outs, 176 cm, I have decided to part with. Bought them new about this time last year and have 15-20 days on them. Condition would be 9 out of 10, both tops and bottoms. Tyrolia PRD 12’s on the rail to adjust to nearly any boot. $450 + shipping.

@MattD, you may want to consider a 176 White Out. You will get the same radius as the Pulse you had previously but with a little extra edge on the snow, which adds significant stability to the ski in all conditions. Great deal on a great ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Drahtguy Kevin @FairToMiddlin both bought Blossom's after testing them at Copper two years ago.
FTM has a bit more of a comparison view because he also had the Pulse.

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
MarkESS I have sent you a Private Message. Sorry as I misspoke about the Blossom Windshear Skis. I easily refer to HeluvaSkier as the Blossom Expert.

Last edited:

MarkEss

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all for the interest in the Blossom's I have for sale. Sale is currently pending.

I'm hoping to not have seller's remorse.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
@MattD, you may want to consider a 176 White Out. You will get the same radius as the Pulse you had previously but with a little extra edge on the snow, which adds significant stability to the ski in all conditions. Great deal on a great ski.

About to contradict a personal maxim of "do not argue" with HelluvaSkier" (he is way smarter than me).
I sold Helluva my original Hart Pulse 176 skis, in retrospect, they were too much ski for me, he rocked them, but, he is also one of the best technical skiers I have observed. I re-bought the Pulse from @FairToMiddlin in a 170, and, it is a far more versatile ski for "pedestrian" skiers. Helluva coined the term "pedestrian", I still smile at the truth of the phrase. As @MattD also had a 170, my advice is not to up-size unless you can rock a ski like Helluva.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would like to have a pair of these in my collection at some point...since I did design the graphics (from the comfort of @Ron's condo in Steamboat).

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
About to contradict a personal maxim of "do not argue" with HelluvaSkier" (he is way smarter than me).
I sold Helluva my original Hart Pulse 176 skis, in retrospect, they were too much ski for me, he rocked them, but, he is also one of the best technical skiers I have observed. I re-bought the Pulse from @FairToMiddlin in a 170, and, it is a far more versatile ski for "pedestrian" skiers. Helluva coined the term "pedestrian", I still smile at the truth of the phrase. As @MattD also had a 170, my advice is not to up-size unless you can rock a ski like Helluva.

LP - your Pulse (Stage One) was actually a 180 ;), and IMO is a more challenging ski than the 176 White Out due to having less side cut (LP, if you want them back they are A LOT softer now... :duck:). The two skis flex pretty similarly.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester

Sounds like you’d be happy with the AX, and going with a sure thing for spendy skis is smart.

But, I will second (or third) the endorsement for the White Out. It’s stable, it has phenomenal snow feel (as good or better than Stockli, much better than current Kastle, on par with the old MX78, which isn’t a bad candidate for what you’re considering), and excellent build quality. Turn initiation is more ‘at the speed of thought’ than the Pulse or Wind Shear, but it has loads of forgiveness for some of our less than perfect inputs.

Nothing is coming out for 2019 that matches its fun and versatility; for all its prowess in the middle of a well-carved turn, it is also able assistant at the end of the day on chopped up piste with tired legs, predictable in crud, bumps, and trees, without any of that “hmmm, this ski doesn’t like this” that you sometimes find in mid-70s sticks that have faux racing graphics on them.

You’re on the right track with your replacement search, sorry to hear you got your babies nicked, though.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
@FairToMiddlin - Can you share a bit more on the Whiteout in terms of use in bumps, crud and trees? I find that some of the skis that have the "at the speed of thought" turn initiation you describe can be very "grabby" and also tough to release in bumps/tight spaces. How does the Whiteout handle those circumstances? Is it compliant with pivot slips, brushed/smeared turns, etc., or is it always trying to carve on edge?

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
@FairToMiddlin - Can you share a bit more on the Whiteout in terms of use in bumps, crud and trees? I find that some of the skis that have the "at the speed of thought" turn initiation you describe can be very "grabby" and also tough to release in bumps/tight spaces. How does the Whiteout handle those circumstances? Is it compliant with pivot slips, brushed/smeared turns, etc., or is it always trying to carve on edge?

Sure, good question. Put it this way: it’s a narrow all-mountain, with excellent hard snow chops, not a recreational trench layer, that doesn’t like anything that isn’t groomed. Like a quicker, more exciting Stormrider 83, or somesuch. No troubles with getting out of the turn you’re in, bumps or otherwise. I think it’s an improvement on the shape of the Wind Shear, without any drawbacks.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also have a pair of Blossom WhiteOuts, 176, 2017, with Look pivot 14 dual, mounted for 305bsl , if anybody is interested. excellent condition