• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Replacement Pole Straps - how hard can it be??

SKIDADL

Booting up
Skier
This past fall I purchased a pair of Scott Composite ski poles with that new SRS release system under a pro deal. Love the poles and the strap system from a skiing function standpoint and the pole swing weight. Unfortunately that little red connector strap that attaches the strap to the handle has broken. This is the Achilles Heel of the strap system and has rendered the poles non-functional.
I have requested a replacement strap under manufacturer warranty but haven't received anything as yet and have resorted to using my back-up poles (=sub-optimal). Hopefully I will still get replacement straps from the Canadian importer but in the meantime I have been looking for some replacement straps online and am dismayed how difficult that seems to be - even finding non-Scott conventional straps that might be used in a pinch.
I have even contacted some pole manufacturers like ZipLine to see if they will sell straps without poles - surprised when they declined.

Anybody have some suggestions or a line on a good supplier of pole straps?? Guess I may need to start haunting some ski swaps or similar in the fall but it all seems a lot harder/expensive than I would have originally thought.

Stay safe.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I can hook you up with the LEKI rep here in Eastern Canada. But that might not help with this system. Our local shop I think might deal with Scott, but he's closed. But I have his cell #...... Let me see. Not sure who the Scott rep is in Ontario..

TS
S

SKIDADL

Booting up
Skier
I can hook you up with the LEKI rep here in Eastern Canada. But that might not help with this system. Our local shop I think might deal with Scott, but he's closed. But I have his cell #...... Let me see. Not sure who the Scott rep is in Ontario..
Thanks for the feedback and apologies for the slow response - I'm so ridiculously busy in the new Covid19 world LOL!!! I am pretty familiar with the LEKI system and I don't think they could be retrofitted onto the Scott SRS system.
I used LEKI poles for years but eventually grew tired of the fiddly glove harnesses (which also broke after a lot of use) - still have a bunch in my storage locker. The guy that helped me buy the Scott poles will harass his contacts in Quebec closer to the start of season. In the meantime I was hoping to find an alternative as a backup. Cheers.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Object lesson in why <$10 poles from the thrift store bin > fanciest pole system? ogwink

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You can make a conventional strap just by folding over a piece of webbing or leather strapping and riveting through it. Combine that with a piece of 2mm paracord tied in a figure 8 around the grip and you can have a string-swivel very like the OEM Scott strap.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'll just say this. Scott makes a great pole. Unfortunately their customer service is challenged. If anyone from scott is reading or cares, please feel free to contact me. I have suggestions.

TS
S

SKIDADL

Booting up
Skier
In the end Scott Canada provided replacement straps under warranty just in time for the new ski season. Thanks.
I'm so glad they did - I spent hours on the internet trying to find any kind of replacement straps that might work with zero positive results. As a backup I did follow one of the suggestions above and found a decent pair of poles/straps for $10 in the consignment store.
So now I'm fixed up for the foreseeable future. Appreciate all your input!

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad you got replacements.
Since I lost 2 of these in a short period, I stocked up. Haven’t lost one since.
620B9530-0B58-4343-9E82-835035E69A4A.jpeg

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anybody want mine? I've stopped using straps after digging a few people out of Baker snow drifts who were pinned in by their own equipment. Yes they have the Strap Release System, but I wouldn't trust it to get my arm free to reach my whistle if I'm upside down in a treewell.

I'm not sure how useful straps are anyways. Last year I took a tomahawk that sent me 80' down Chicken Ridge -- I was shook up, but fine otherwise. I didn't realize until I got back to the lift that I never even let go of my poles.

straps.jpg

D_Mac

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anybody want mine? I've stopped using straps after digging a few people out of Baker snow drifts who were pinned in by their own equipment. Yes they have the Strap Release System, but I wouldn't trust it to get my arm free to reach my whistle if I'm upside down in a treewell.

I'm not sure how useful straps are anyways. Last year I took a tomahawk that sent me 80' down Chicken Ridge -- I was shook up, but fine otherwise. I didn't realize until I got back to the lift that I never even let go of my poles.

View attachment 122489
Still have these? I need to replace mine.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Actually prefer these if they have platform grips which they don't seem to make anymore.
If you are using poles without straps the ones with platform grips work best !

Sponsor