• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
The 110VAC heating element in my wife's Hot Gear Ajax Bag skigear.us is dead. I took the slider switch apart and bypassed the switch with jumper wires and no go, it won't heat. My guess is that there is a thermostat in the heating element itself which feedsbacks to the switch to prevent overheating which has failed, but that is just a guess.

So the question is: Can anyone recommend a replacement heating element for a heated boot bag?

I bought a cheap (Walmart) heating pad, and it simply does not get hot enough overnight to dry the boots.

I understand that Hot Gear is out of business. But is there another brand of heated boot bag which would sell a heating element which could be used in its place? Possibly Transpac or Kulkea?

Any suggestions?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 110VAC heating element in my wife's Hot Gear Ajax Bag skigear.us is dead. I took the slider switch apart and bypassed the switch with jumper wires and no go, it won't heat. My guess is that there is a thermostat in the heating element itself which feedsbacks to the switch to prevent overheating which has failed, but that is just a guess.

So the question is: Can anyone recommend a replacement heating element for a heated boot bag?

I bought a cheap (Walmart) heating pad, and it simply does not get hot enough overnight to dry the boots.

I understand that Hot Gear is out of business. But is there another brand of heated boot bag which would sell a heating element which could be used in its place? Possibly Transpac or Kulkea?

Any suggestions?
I don't think any of the other brands sell their heating elements a la carte. You might need to bite the bullet and invest in a new bag :(.

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier
Not sure if Snow Eagle will be able to help until the fall. The 12V heating went out on mine and my wife's Hot Gear Bags within a few weeks of each other. I filled out the form linked above and contacted Snow Eagle about replacement heating elements. The response I received back stated they were out of heating elements and I should check back this fall.

I sure hope Snow Eagles customer service is better than Hot Gears was but this is not a good start. It was about impossible to get a replacement form Hot Gear.

Last edited:
TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Thanks to all including Swiss Toni and Shifterkart. I will check back with Snow Eagle this Fall. For the time being my wife is using an old school (non-shutoff/non-microcomputer) 55watt 110v heating pad under and hot sticks inside her boots with the boots inside her Hot Gear Ajax bag. The old school heated pad heats marginally better but not sufficiently better than the new school Walmart 49w heating pad.

Ice Queen

Booting up
Skier
Thanks to all including Swiss Toni and Shifterkart. I will check back with Snow Eagle this Fall. For the time being my wife is using an old school (non-shutoff/non-microcomputer) 55watt 110v heating pad under and hot sticks inside her boots with the boots inside her Hot Gear Ajax bag. The old school heated pad heats marginally better but not sufficiently better than the new school Walmart 49w heating pad.
Tim, did you ever get a replacement element from Snow Eagle? I have a bag by "Point Dry" which is also out of business -- years ago I got a replacement element for it from Hot Gear that just died. They want $110 for one now, they say it's better quality and has a two year warranty. Just wondering how you made out.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jenskates sells replacement heating elements for the Transpack bag

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Ice Queen: I did not. The ingeniously designed and constructed Hot Gear heated boot bag remains unused. My wife $3.99 for an Ozark Trail 50 Can Insulated Cooler Tote from our local Walmart and we put her boots in it and stick a square electric heating pad in between and zip up the cooler bag almost all the way and it works just fine. I use an electric boot heater but use a Walmart bag for traveling.

Sponsor

Staff online