• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Replacement for Ullr's Chariots

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I bought a pair of Ullr's Chairots out of a bargain bin mostly because I liked the look of them but I've become hooked on their ability to ski nearly any condition well. I'm looking ahead to the Chariots' inevitable decline (not here yet) and I'm wondering what skis to look at to eventually replace them since Ski Logic is kaput.

What I like about the Chariots is their ability to easily handle moderately deep snow (up to 1' of new), especially in heavy conditions. They easily carve groomers and handle crud and bumps well. I'm a big guy (6'1", 220 lbs.) so I need a beefy ski. I like to ski off piste at Mt. Baker, which means heavier snow and lots of it.

I will be demoing skis and I need to make a list of the ones to try.

What's out there that fits?

Thanks in advance.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
101mm to 116mm.....

hmmmn....

have you skied the Nordica Enforcer 100?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That ski had a real cult following over on the Realskiers (pay) site.

If you subscribe for $20, I think you can email them for direct consultations, and they might have a few good ideas, if you're wanting to keep the "feel" of the Chariots.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on the ON3P Billy Goats, or Wrenegade 108. For next season they will also make a Wrenegade 114. As they are designed and made in Portland, I feel they are ideal for PNW conditions.

FWIW, ON3P is having a demo day next Saturday 3/17/18 at Stevens Pass. I’ll be there, since I am trying to decide between these two myself and it’s been a couple of years since I last demoed them.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on the ON3P Billy Goats, or Wrenegade 108. For next season they will also make a Wrenegade 114. As ON3P designs and build their skis in Portland, they seem ideal for PNW conditions.

FWIW, ON3P is having a demo day next Saturday 3/17/18 at Stevens Pass. I’ll be there, since I am trying to decide between these two myself and it’s been a couple of years since I last demoed them.

Chubb

Booting up
Skier
Ullr's Chariots are unique in many ways. Not many all mountain skis have a 15m turn radius, much less on the longer lengths where the tips and tails were widened to powder ski levels to maintain that 15m radius. The Realskiers reviews preferred the original twin tip (TT) version but I have the later rocker logic (RL) version with a flat tail and a moderately tapered and rockered tip. Actually I have the lighter BC version of the RL, which I use only at the resort and infrequently now due to quiver growth and a low snowfall season here in Utah.

The Line Sakana is a new model for next season that has surprisingly similar shaping to the Ullr's Chariot RL. My 182cm Chariots have 145-101-133 tip-waist-tail dimensions. The Line Sakana is listed at 150-105-138 with a 15m radius, but it is nor clear if that is for the 174cm or 181cm length. The Sakana has a unique mini swallow tail and is weird enough to peak my interest. I hope to find a demo this Spring or early next season.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Slogik1.jpg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
While there’s more to a ski than the dimensions, my Head Rev 105’s are 144-105-131 with a 16 meter turning radius. For current models the Head Kore 105 is 135-105-125 with an 18m turning radius, despite their light weight they might be beefy enough for you.

TS
Posaune

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Thanks a lot everyone for your input. Keep it coming, I'll take as much as you have! As I said in the OP, I'm not looking to buy now, but to make a list to investigate and demo, maybe this season, maybe next season, maybe both. I've already got a few things to look into. I figure my Chariots will be giving up sometime near the end of next season, so I'm trying to think ahead.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
:popcorn:
I am in the same situation. I am on my third and probably final pair of chariotTT’s. The above mentioned enforcers are up for consideration along with the other Ski’s that have been mentioned. Another ski I have considered is the Goode Fire, 98mm waist I think.
The chariots have been a great daily driver for me always skiing of mix of condition. The fact that they are a full camber Ski I think has a lot to do with why they work for me. The only time my bigger (old Rossignol Super7’s) powder skis come out are on the big days with big snow.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Nordica Enforcer 100 will ski pretty much anything we see in the PNW. It has been my daily driver this year and really like it; it will do everything really well but not great in anything (except crud busting). It would be nice if it was lighter, but would not be the same ski. A bit slow edge to edge, but it was never designed to be a slalom ski.

Good luck with your hunt.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's often hard to actually find the demo your interested in, in the lengths your contemplating and then have all the conditions you want to try them in.
Whistler's World Ski Festival has always been pretty good for selection. Most major and many local brands have free demo tents set up.
and usually a run from alpine to valley in April covers most conditions we get in the PNW
This year it's April 10-15 with demo tents set up in front of Roundhouse at least on the 15/16.
I have often picked the next ski then bought it at the Turkey sale in November or sometimes picked up a slightly used demo at a great deal same day.
The sticker price on ski equipment seems to be about the same both sides of border but with today's exchange it's a much better deal in Canada
as you know get the gas in Bellingham

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The former Canadian distributor of Skilogik is very near me, and he has a few remaning NOS skis kicking around. Myself and couple pals recently snapped up his last 3 sets of Dark Side to use for ornamental purposes ( mine stand beside my "stereo" ). I can inquire if he has any Ullr kicking around if anyone has interest.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
For completeness' sake I might mention that @mishka builds a 102-waist short-turn all-mountain design with black locust sidewalls. Beefy and zippy both. Haven't tried them in bumps; can't speak to that.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Head's Kore skis are super light weight yet surprisingly stiff. New for 2019 will be the Kore 99 which has a lot more side cut than the Kore105. There is also a Kore 117 and a 93 which is probably narrower than what the OP wants.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
@Posaune besides cool graphics Skilogik skis has some imo important feature in ski construction ...wood sidewall not just wood but Black Locust sidewall and Black Locust tip and tale sections. This feature alone contribute to very unique feel/performance of the ski.
your best options go with the skis built similarly, or find slightly used same skilogik you have