• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Replacement for my Zeal Slates (Ski Goggle Suggestions Needed)

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
4 years ago, I bought the Zeal Slate googles with their Automatic/Photochromic/Polarized lenses, and they have been absolutely amazing. I've skied them in everything from flat-light fog to bright bluebird days, and while I always hear other people on the mountain complain about vision issues, these lenses have worked perfectly for me in every condition. I love them.

Unfortunately, my lenses developed an issue, and I need to replace them. I've also learned the Zeal Slates are now discontinued, and I can't remember if my specific lenses are the Automatic Rose-Base or Automatic Grey-Base.

In any case, the only replacements I can still find online are the Automatic Yellow-Base lenses. So,
  1. Does anyone have experience with Zeal's Automatic Yellow-Based lenses?
  2. If not, can anyone recommend some awesome ski goggles with lenses as versatile as Zeal's automatic technology?
Thanks!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I’m a long time Zeal goggles user. You didn’t mention where you generally ski the most. If you’re East coast then the automatic YB is a good choice. I’m in the Rockies and I hate looking at the world through a yellow base lens so I have the rose base. The grey base will also work as long as you’re not picky about the flat light performance.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m a long time Zeal goggles user. You didn’t mention where you generally ski the most. If you’re East coast then the automatic YB is a good choice. I’m in the Rockies and I hate looking at the world through a yellow base lens so I have the rose base. The grey base will also work as long as you’re not picky about the flat light performance.
Ahh... not what I wanted to hear. I'm worried about the yellow base too; usually I'm not a fan of distorted colors.

I travel to ski, so 90% of my trips are to Colorado/Utah/Montana.

Which Zeal goggles do you have?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Ahh... not what I wanted to hear. I'm worried about the yellow base too; usually I'm not a fan of distorted colors.

I travel to ski, so 90% of my trips are to Colorado/Utah/Montana.

Which Zeal goggles do you have?

Link, Eclipse, and Portal.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Polarized is no benefit--light reflected off snow isn't polarized. No harm, but no benefit, so don't spend extra for that.

See if you can try on the goggles in a shop and look outside on a gray day. Different brands and different lenses in the same brand can seem different to different people. One day in a shop in the mountain a couple of us got the OK to take some new goggles from the display to look through their window. There was no consensus winner.

I haven't tried Zeal. Dragon Lumalens is my favorite, and their photochromic is https://dragonalliance.ca/tech/photochromic-tech-2/ ...but my eyes aren't your eyes.

Does Zeal have a color guide something like this one from Dragon?
https://dragonalliance.ca/tech/lumalens/

Last edited:
TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tony, are you still watching this? Prolens.com is the go-to place for replacement lenses. They say that the Slate automatic lenses are backordered. https://store.prolens.com/zeal-slate-replacement-lenses-p2219.aspx
Yeah, I've actually had quite a bit of follow up with Zeal's customer support. (Which has been pretty great and makes me happy to have recommended their lenses for so long.)

I ended up sending my Slates in for repair/replacement. Zeal CS confirmed the lenses I loved so much were the Automatic+ Gray Based. Unfortunately the Slate was discontinued so there aren't any Auto+ GB lenses available for the Slate anymore.

They offered a 50% off coupon for any new product in their store. My plan is to purchase the Zeal Hemisphere with Auto+ GB lenses or the Zeal Portal XL with Auto+ GB lenses.