• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Replacement for Blizzard Latigo

ABSkier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've been skiing my Latigos a few years now and while i still really like them I'm looking to replace them with something wider for more versatility and am looking for some suggestions.

I'm an upper intermediate skier, 6'2", 195 lbs. i'm spending about 70% of my time off-piste in black trees/moderate bowls that usually get pretty bumped up. My technique isn't great, but I'll take a few lessons this year as i want to get into steeper terrain and have better control in those bumps that always seem to form there. I've only been skiing about 7 years and forgiveness and playfulness have been priorities in the past (which is probably why i really liked the Latigos) and top end speed isn't important to me. I'm assuming i would still prefer playful/forgiving skis as i try to get into the harder terrain, but haven't tried stiffer skis like the Bonefide. good performance on firm groomers would useful for when we go a week+ without snow.

I'm skiing in the Canadian Rockies (mostly Lake Louise), so cold dry snow. Occasional dumps, but usually skiing a few inches of new to days-old crud to hard pack after a week's drought. I have a set of Soul 7s (and snowboard) for deep days, but they only come out a few times a year. I may keep the latigos for a 3 ski quiver, but will probably just use the new skis most of the time.

i haven't had a chance to demo anything, but from reading the forums here the Blizzard Rustler 9 and Liberty V92 seem like good candidates. I assume the Rustler 10 would be too wide/soft snow oriented as a daily driver, but don't know.

Any advice? Thanks!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My personal daily driver skis for the last 3 seasons have been an Enforcer 100 and now a Ranger 102FR, so I wouldn't discount a ~100mm ski as a daily driver. I am 220# and 6' and personally like the extra width to handle everything I might find and still do well on a hard surface. I just got a pair of Ruslter 9s to use as a daily driver when I wear my S/Lab MTN boots.. so no opinions on the capabilities of the Ruslter yet, I'll get to ski them in the coming weekend and will try to remember to comment back on what I think of them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been skiing my Latigos a few years now and while i still really like them I'm looking to replace them with something wider for more versatility and am looking for some suggestions.

I'm an upper intermediate skier, 6'2", 195 lbs. i'm spending about 70% of my time off-piste in black trees/moderate bowls that usually get pretty bumped up. My technique isn't great, but I'll take a few lessons this year as i want to get into steeper terrain and have better control in those bumps that always seem to form there. I've only been skiing about 7 years and forgiveness and playfulness have been priorities in the past (which is probably why i really liked the Latigos) and top end speed isn't important to me. I'm assuming i would still prefer playful/forgiving skis as i try to get into the harder terrain, but haven't tried stiffer skis like the Bonefide. good performance on firm groomers would useful for when we go a week+ without snow.

I'm skiing in the Canadian Rockies (mostly Lake Louise), so cold dry snow. Occasional dumps, but usually skiing a few inches of new to days-old crud to hard pack after a week's drought. I have a set of Soul 7s (and snowboard) for deep days, but they only come out a few times a year. I may keep the latigos for a 3 ski quiver, but will probably just use the new skis most of the time.

i haven't had a chance to demo anything, but from reading the forums here the Blizzard Rustler 9 and Liberty V92 seem like good candidates. I assume the Rustler 10 would be too wide/soft snow oriented as a daily driver, but don't know.

Any advice? Thanks!

I wouldn't replace the Latigo but add to them. I think you are on te right track with skis like the Rustler 9 and Liberty V92..the low to mid 90's will fit that hole between the Latigo ( ski that I love) and the Soul 7 (a ski that I am not all that fond of). If price is no object, the Stockli Stormrider 95 would be an option and another ski that is the brothah from another mothah to the Liberty is the DPS Cassair Foundation 94. If you ARE going to replace them, maybe even a 88-90mm ski...seeing how well the new '20 K2 Minderbender 99Ti is skiing, the 90Ti..or just get the 99Ti, it handles the firm snow well. Either are available now.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You're on the right track, but I would keep the Latigos for a skinny ski and add a midfat to it.
Think 90+, the Liberty VMT is a good direction.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I’ve spent more time this year on my 98mm waisted skis than my other skis. I really like the versatility of the 98mm waistline.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Before you buy, go to the free Demo at Louise and give the skis a good lap or two on terrain that is representative of what you like to ski. It's only a month away.

https://www.skilouise.com/things-to-do/events/free-demo-day-2019-02-16.php

They'll have the full Blizzard Lineup (well, probably won't bring out the Spurs or the Bodacious unless it snows). Try out the Rustler 9 and the Bushwhacker for sure. Nordica Enforcer 93 should be nice as well.

DPS has attended most of these events in the past, and K2 sometimes comes.

My test lap tends to be Glacier Chair to Top of the World. Take Helen's to the Summit Platter. Ski down Whitehorn 2, return to the front via paradise and take Upshoots to grizzly gulley to men's downhill.

If you are willing to wait longer, there is a free demo day at Castle on March 9. They'll have skis by Blizzard, Head, Rossi, Line, Nordica, K2, Salomon, and Volkl. It's probably my favorite demo day in the region.

http://www.skicastle.ca/event/demodays-2019-03-09/

You can rent Black Crows and Stocklis at Selkirk Sports at the base of Kicking Horse. They're 65/day, but up to 3 rentals will go against your purchase. These ski brands are pricey though.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't had a chance to demo anything, but from reading the forums here the Blizzard Rustler 9 and Liberty V92 seem like good candidates. I assume the Rustler 10 would be too wide/soft snow oriented as a daily driver, but don't know.

I don't think the Rustler 10 would be too wide for a daily driver, but you might be getting a bit of overlap with the Soul 7.

I can't think of a local place that will allow you to try out the liberty skis, but Fresh in Calgary sells them.

TS
A

ABSkier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
thanks for the replies. Turns out the Louise rental fleet includes the Rustler 10 and Kore 99. They also have the Mantra and Kendo which i'll try, though from reading here they may be too unforgiving for my level. Will try to get on these next week. If i can wait till mid-feb, the demo days at Louise is a great idea Mike - thanks for the heads up.

The Soul 7s have been fun and easy in fresh powder (it was tough struggling to learn powder skills when boarding is so much fun and easier in the deep), but the Souls aren't great when you get back on the hard groomers, so if the Rustler10s work for me they could make a good replacement for daily use and powder days, and the Latigos for the really lean days.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
You had me at Latigos, what a great ski. If you were wondering if you could do better at the ~80mm width category, you really cannot for all-around. Keep them, there is no suitable replacement.

As far as moving up, for your size and enthusiasm, I would consider the Enforcer 93 on the strong/rawr side, and the Rustler 10 for the eternal optimist/playful side. In the middle lies the VMT92 (more playful), Bonafide (more serious (but the current gen is pretty playful compared to the ne plus ultra 2nd gen)). Lake Louise sounds pretty forgiving (not a whole lot of evil re-freeze?), in which case I would lean toward the Rustler 10, as it has serious groomer chops for a >100mm ski.

You have a great problem to solve, we envy you.

Sponsor