• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For flying, if you primarily use one airline, my brother in law joined their premier (or similar) program.

Gave him and family with him extra bags for free. one or two trips ... were worth it for him.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sounds like OP has a plan but at risk of talking to myself, at this point I always travel with skis. I am very picky about gear and I’m a big guy which makes even finding a ski I consider “worthy” if I’m lucky enough to hit a powder day unlikely.

I spent a good hour trying to find a ski wider than a Soul 7 and over 180 cm long at Vail and then did it again at Aspen. It was hard! Never again.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been looking into rental cars in Denver and wow is Hertz cheaper than Enterprize. Around $100 cheaper for a weekly rental.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Car rental tips:
--If you're a Costco member, look at their costco.com travel site. Good rates.
--As long as there is no penalty for cancelling a reservation, reserve the car you want. A day or two before your trip check again at all the companies. If one of the companies has a surplus of cars the price may have dropped significantly. Cancel the old reservation and make a new one.
--Some of the rental companies are getting pretty scammy. Be SURE you know what size car they will offer you. Phone to be sure, just in case. One time I reserved a compact and was told I get a Chevy Spark, clearly a sub-compact, a car about the size of my shoe. I discussed the situation, firm clear voice at the counter (never angry but never shy) and got a true compact. Some of the companies are really scammy about filling the gas tank. Refill at a station very close to the airport and keep the receipt handy when you check the car in.
I once had a rental company try that switch to a smaller car trick on me. I had to drive the family from the airport in Toronto to Guelph ON. It turned out to be cheaper to rent a car and pay for gas than to pay for the airport bus per passenger. However, when I got to the airport rental place they tried to pawn off a tiny car when I had clearly rented a mid-sized car. I did not want to have to tie suitcases to the roof. As it was, we barely fit everything and everyone into the mid-sized car. It took a while, but they found one through some inter-agency dealing.

As to renting verses bringing your own:
Boots are my own, always. They travel carry-on.

Skis/poles - things change. I used to bring my own, mostly because I loved my gear and there was not much on offer that was better at the rental places. I was a speed freak, and speed skis were (and still are) not what you find at rental shops. Even back then, when there wasn't much to offer in the way of more suitable skis for conditions, I would still spend on renting a softer pair of skis (GS) for the deep snow for a few days, once I got the need for speed out of my system. Now there is no question. Renting is better; you get to ski the best, latest and greatest skis for the conditions, and there is no hassle with transporting your skis through airports. I don't feel the need for speed as much as I did when I was half my age. You can find rental shops these days that have a wider selection of demonstrators and that will make it less hassle to pick up and drop off on your schedule. Do some research ahead of time and phone around to see what is available where.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use one of these at home and take it with me on trips if I’m going to come close to weight limits.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...VEonICh01uA_NEAQYDCABEgL2r_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have an even smaller one, and take it with me, after all, you have to fly home as well.
We are a family of 4 as well and tend to pack 2 rolling ski bags with 2 pairs of skis each, and 2 other pieces of lugage, this way we check 1 piece of luge per person, so free on Delta(Amex) or Southwest(standard)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I prefer to bring my own skis because I know every inch of them including how they are tuned and it's just one less element to think about. That said I have to ask myself if it makes sense. A few years ago we went out to California and planned 10 days of driving around and visiting with a couple of days of skiing. This was a trip where we didn't bring out skis and just brought our boots. We asked for referrals for places to demo and I knew what I was skiing on before we got to the mountain. When my SO went to colorado earlier this year we were only going to be in the one town for most of the trip so bringing skis was much easier. I don't like ski racks and we just made sure we had a car that had a fold down rear seat so the skis would fit easily inside and it was easy peasy. It also depends on where we are going. Lake Louise for example doesn't get a ton of snow and is steep with lots of hardish snow and I learned the hard way they don't tune skis like we like so if we're heading here I always bring my own skis. Short answer it depends on if the whole trip is skiing and what we will be doing as a whole. While demoing can be fun when at a destination place I always prefer to have my own gear if it works out where it makes sense.

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
Most airlines count Ski Bag + Boot Bag as a single bag...

-however please keep in mind-

1. both bags will be weighed together and the combined weight of the two bags must be = or > the weight allowance for a single bag
  2. the boots bag is only supposed to contain boots; airlines reserve the right to count the boot bag separately if it contains other gear. The ski bag is usually permitted to contain other gear.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
For several years now, I have been renting skis and bringing boots—even for one day. It’s just easier, especially if I am on my own. Typically, I rent demos right on the mountain. Last year: Crystal, Snowbasin, and Watchusett. Had no problems and there were days at Crystal and Snowbasin where I swapped out during the day to adjust to changing conditions. Your quiver is quite large when you do a slopeside demo—not cheap, however.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Slim's ....."We are a family of 4 as well and tend to pack 2 rolling ski bags with 2 pairs of skis each, and 2 other pieces of lugage, this way we check 1 piece of luge per person, so free on Delta(Amex) or Southwest(standard)".....is brilliant way to go.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
One other possibility to throw into the mix that I've done a couple of times. If you think you might be in the market for a new set of skis, you can demo skis for a few days on your trip. Most shops will credit demo fees towards a purchase so you can "rent for free" for a few days and then purchase for the rest of your trip. This adds the hassle/cost of getting the skis back home with you but it's a reasonably cost effective way to try out a bunch of skis and buy a pair.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most airlines count Ski Bag + Boot Bag as a single bag...

-however please keep in mind-

1. both bags will be weighed together and the combined weight of the two bags must be = or > the weight allowance for a single bag
  2. the boots bag is only supposed to contain boots; airlines reserve the right to count the boot bag separately if it contains other gear. The ski bag is usually permitted to contain other gear.
This varies greatly by airline. Alaska says, "When it comes to packing your ski and snowboard bag, one piece of ski/snowboard equipment is defined as one pair of skis with poles or one snowboard, plus one boot/helmet bag. If your ski or snowboard equipment is checked in a bag that also contains clothing or other additional items, it will be counted as a standard checked bag, and you will need to check your boot/helmet bag as a second piece of baggage." Air Canada is now refusing to carry cloth ski bags--hard cases only (to reduce their damage payments?). I think the total weight of 50# for both bags is pretty much universal.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
One other possibility to throw into the mix that I've done a couple of times. If you think you might be in the market for a new set of skis, you can demo skis for a few days on your trip. Most shops will credit demo fees towards a purchase so you can "rent for free" for a few days and then purchase for the rest of your trip. This adds the hassle/cost of getting the skis back home with you but it's a reasonably cost effective way to try out a bunch of skis and buy a pair.

Some ski shops will ship your purchase so you don’t need to schlep it home. Added cost for sure but an option nevertheless.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
traveling with the equipment can be a pain. Firstly you have to have good equipment carrying luggages and that costs money. Then there is the worry they may still be handled poorly. Then there is the worry that our special and over sized baggage doesnt make it to the destination with us or at least not on the same flight/s. And of course all the hassles associated with lugging everything around.
That said, it is of course our own equipment which I assume like most anyone we pay a lot of money for and so we want our own stuff with us to use for the purposes we bought it all for in the first place. And we don't have to deal with rental shops nor anything associated with renting. So there are pros and cons to both.

The only times I ever went on "flight involved" ski trips in my life was to Austria (many years back) and to Telluride winter before last. On both occasions traveled with all our equipment and had no issues. But of course had to work through the lugging of it all. But as skiers, lugging things around is something we are sort of use to doing anyway as it kind of comes with the territory and the life we chose when we become skiers...lol. But it was nice on both occasions to know we had all our own stuff to use for the reason we bought it all in the first place. And that part in itself is worth something "to me".

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
One small issue I had (as for expenses) was when leaving Telluride via Montrose airport. My flights were all booked via United. A direct flight going from east coast to Montrose. But the flight coming home had two legs. Frist one from Montrose to Denver which was a different airline (I just cannot remember the name of the airline). And here is what happened as we checked in with that airline to leave Montrose for Denver.

I (pre trip) had called united on two occasions to go over all I needed to know and ask about traveling with our ski and boot bags, etc.. I wanted to make sure I understood it all correctly and the risks etc... so I also asked a lot of questions. One of my questions was this...."does the boot bag that accompanies the ski bag have to be a specific ski boot bag or can it simply be a piece of smaller luggage with the ski boots inside?" I just saw no need to go and also buy a ski boot bag. Anyway their answer to me on both occasions I asked this was that it didn't matter if the boots were in any boot specific bag. The only requirement was that each set of ski and boot bag combo were to not weight more than 50lb combined. Well with that info I had zero issue checking in getting there. But when we checked in at Montrose for that first of the two leg journey home it was on a different airline.

That airline did not recognize the small luggage with the boots in it as a boot bag nor part of the combo ski and boot bag setup. They said I needed a boot specific bag made for ski boots. Imo that whole thing is ridiculous. They wanted to charge me (ithink) an extra 35 (or was it 50 bucks). Whatever the case.....I told them that I (pre vacation) intentionally went out of my way to call united to ask them about this exact scenario and told the woman that I was told by united it didnt matter what kind of bag as long as the boots were in there and it was part of the ski and boot bag combo which didn't weigh more than 50lb combined. She insisted that's not true and had to be a boot bag specifically. I said not everyone has a boot bag and how can this even be an issue or even matter? What we have here is a ski bag and a bag with boots together and what is the difference if the bag is a piece of luggage that fits my boots in it or an actual boot bag? She wouldn't let it go. I told that my trip was booked via United and on my itinerary for that leg it states her airline but (something to the affect of) "doing business as united" and therefore the united policies should be followed. Eventually as i was about to just pay the darn thing she eased up and let me go but said next time it has to be a boot bag. I mean whats up with that? The type of bag is not relevant. Its a bag with boots in it. What the difference if its a duffle bag or a luggage or a skiboot specific bag? or if I just wrapped them in bubble wrap and shrink-wrap. That was my only glitch.

asnowmobiler

Advanced Beginner
Skier
I have been bringing my own ski as my gear is really dialed in and tuned as I like it. Though the thought of not schlepping a big ski box is appealing. Anyway I use Sportubes which are USA made and great. One thing I have learned is not to pack gloves socks etc in the Sportubes to cushion the skis. Just your skis and poles. Last year going to Aspen, when I opened my Sportube ski bag I found I had lost one brand new glove, socks, spare lens, tools etc. I don't think it was theft. I think they did a sloppy contraband check as it had a TSA sticker on it and just did not stuff everything back in. I think they get slammed with luggage and just rush through it so if you pack too tight you lose. Lesson learned....

I just bought a series 2 for $65, it looks like they have more in stock.

https://www.joepretty.com/sportube-double-wheeled-case-ski-series-2

snokat

Powder Pig
Skier
Probably nothing worse than renting the wrong skis, or skis you settle for.....a poor tune can be added to this. I bring two pairs on week long or longer trips, for shorter trips I'll bring one pair and take a chance. If however, you need to travel lighter, it pays to know what you like and what manufacturers you lean toward. I'm a Head skier, but like Blizzard as well, it must be my DNA. An Austrian thing. Call around before you travel and see what brands and models a shop carries. My wife rented once and settled, her week was horrid. She use to rent and buy if she liked something, most shops do this. If you were going to Vail I'd mention a few. I like the boot doctor in Breckenridge, but have also been railed in Breckenridge by one shop I won't flame.
Have a great trip!

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
This varies greatly by airline. Alaska says, "When it comes to packing your ski and snowboard bag, one piece of ski/snowboard equipment is defined as one pair of skis with poles or one snowboard, plus one boot/helmet bag. If your ski or snowboard equipment is checked in a bag that also contains clothing or other additional items, it will be counted as a standard checked bag, and you will need to check your boot/helmet bag as a second piece of baggage." Air Canada is now refusing to carry cloth ski bags--hard cases only (to reduce their damage payments?). I think the total weight of 50# for both bags is pretty much universal.

I've heard Alaska is a stickler for the "boot/helmet-only" rule. However, I flew Delta from SEA to SLC last winter and carried my boots in my carry-on suitcase and jammed all my gear into the boot bag with no issue either direction.

Damn, I didn't l know about about Air Canada's hard-case rule. I'm heading to Banff in February flying Air Canada. Looks like I'm in the market for a hard case!

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't imagine not traveling with my own skis. I bought them because those are the specific skis I want to be on when I'm skiing, and 50%+ of the 30 to 35 days I ski each year involve a flight.

I don't really get the "extra hassle" argument. With the possible exception of having to wait at baggage claim if you weren't checking any other luggage, it makes no difference to me whether I'm taking a ski bag or a duffle bag out of baggage claim to my rental car.

I usually pack whatever I'm taking for the trip in my ski bag with one or two pairs of skis, and carry on my boots and enough ski clothes for a day. I've never had a problem with my skis not showing up at the airport when I do. After 40 or so trips, I guess it's bound to happen one day, but I'd rather risk that than needing to sort out rentals with an unknown tune.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've heard Alaska is a stickler for the "boot/helmet-only" rule. However, I flew Delta from SEA to SLC last winter and carried my boots in my carry-on suitcase and jammed all my gear into the boot bag with no issue either direction.

Damn, I didn't l know about about Air Canada's hard-case rule. I'm heading to Banff in February flying Air Canada. Looks like I'm in the market for a hard case!

I believe that hard case Air Canada policy has been in place for a while, and people have often used soft cases. They could refuse it I suppose, but I think it's more of a CYA for them in case your soft bag is damaged, than an actual policy. (Of course, you should then be aware that if you check a soft bag and it IS damaged, you might not have a claim against Air Canada.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My only problem with hard shell cases is the weight, most weigh 17-18lb...when you are allowed only 50 it doesn't leave much room for two pair along with poles and any protection.

Sponsor