• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm Planning a trip to Alta next season, most likely I will rent skis out there. I figure it will be best to rent in order to have the best skis for conditions at the time.

In any case, I found the usual rental/demo shops is there anything more obscure I should be aware of?

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm Planning a trip to Alta next season, most likely I will rent skis out there. I figure it will be best to rent in order to have the best skis for conditions at the time.

Maybe you'll have better luck, but the times that I've tried to demo or rent the right performance ski for the right conditions (i.e., powder skis), they were already taken out by someone else. There isn't usually a reservation system, and I've waited in lines as soon as the shops open and still been out of luck.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The on mountain shop treated my wife well but she had a connection.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I normally travel with two pairs of skis, but I've had decent luck with the shop in the Goldminer's Daughter when the need to rent has occasionally occurred. The Alta rental shop adjacent to the ticket office has been less useful.

TS
stuckinphilly

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
Maybe you'll have better luck, but the times that I've tried to demo or rent the right performance ski for the right conditions (i.e., powder skis), they were already taken out by someone else. There isn't usually a reservation system, and I've waited in lines as soon as the shops open and still been out of luck.

That's good to know. What time of year was this?

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's good to know. What time of year was this?

March at Solitude a while ago, Squaw this past season in April. But really it was more that the demand for powder skis is high on powder days because everyone is thinking the same thing, I’d personally wait until a week before the trip and decide based on the forecast whether to bring your own equipment or demo/rent.

TS
stuckinphilly

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
March at Solitude a while ago, Squaw this past season in April. But really it was more that the demand for powder skis is high on powder days because everyone is thinking the same thing, I’d personally wait until a week before the trip and decide based on the forecast whether to bring your own equipment or demo/rent.

I don't own powder skis right now :(

I did just buy a pair of MX89's however, so they will keep me covered on most days.

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
Are you including down-canyon shops in your candidate list?

https://www.thelifthouse.com/utah-ski-rentals/

The no car probably makes it unworkable but my buddies and I have been going here for more than 25 years -- great selection (DPS, Kastle, Head, Stockli) and usually multiple pairs of them -- we swap out almost nightly depending on conditions and wanting to try a different ski.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can't remember exact prices but I found the last time I rented skis at the shop near the main ticket office at Alta the price was exorbitant. It was way more expensive than renting in Jackson and Squaw and Mammoth. I found this strange as the prices the year before were more reasonable.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Lifthouse rental fan here, bigger & better selection of better-maintained skis than at the mountain.

Sponsor

Staff online