• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Renting boots with super wide feet

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Quick dumb question for the boot geniuses of Pugski. In the process of planning a trip out west next winter, and thought it might be nice to ask my dad, who's always wanted to learn to ski, to tag along. He could learn to ski, and we could spend some quality time. He does not want to buy boots without knowing if he actually likes the act of skiing or just likes the idea.

However, his street shoe is a US 7 4E, generally rigid high volume high instep foot. He's basically walking around on a pair of bricks. I haven't rented a boot in a very long time, and have an opposite set of fit issues anyway. Is there any chance of finding a rental boot he could physically fit his feet into? Or is this a lost cause? If it's a lost cause, it's much more economical to have him sit around bored in New Hampshire, and not in Aspen.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
:roflmao:Last time he tried (20+ years ago), he was the only person whose feet were too voluminous for rental boots :eek: I don't know how he walks on those things!

He will find boots that fit here no problem. Like someone mentioned in another thread, its best to fit by volume rather than length.

James

Out There
Instructor
It might make sense to spend some time locally trying on rental boots. At a non busy time you'll have more opportunity to find something. Then just rent for the week. But maybe you're not near shops.

Otherwise, isn't the question where to rent boots for skiing Aspen? And does that mean you're staying in Aspen or Snowmass, or somewhere else?

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
^most likely staying in Basalt or Carbondale. We're near-ish Boston. Most ski shops closed for the season. Need to lock down housing early—cheap option is solo travel only, so his commitment or lack thereof = $$. I may be underselling how broad his feet are (or how low his tolerance for discomfort is). Last time he tried, he says he couldn't get his instep past the cuff. I've seen him try on running shoes 2 sizes up and not be able to get past the tongue. Maybe a cabrio shell?

He's considering going to Hawaii instead, if I can't 100% guarantee him that there exists a workable boot.

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly, I read the reviews for the Atomic rear-entry and thought "this will be perfect for dad." Hopefully they start hitting rental shops next season.

Had a talk with him. He's still unconvinced and would rather 100% guarantee enjoying Hawii vs. 90% probability enjoying skiing. We're going to do a low stakes day trip somewhere in New England, and he will come for an extended trip the year after. Thanks all for the thoughts!

James

Out There
Instructor
Hah! Probably there's a 100% chance you'll regret bringing him this year and Hawaii is a good choice.
He could actually go skiing there. Good luck finding boots in Hawaii though!

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
spend the bucks to rent him the best boots the shop carries. some real crappy rental boots could make him hate his time skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor
spend the bucks to rent him the best boots the shop carries. some real crappy rental boots could make him hate his time skiing.
That's the issue though, no one rents boots other than rental boots. Footloose in Mammoth is the only place I know that used to demo boots. Don't know if they still do.

But, with such weird feet, you might actually find something at the early season ski swaps. $25- 50 might get you a boot you could have stretched, etc.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
We rent a Tecnica Mach 1 boot, actually 2 versions- the MVL and HVL... and the ladies, so 3 models. Also Nordica Cruise, so 5 different 'demo level' boots that are better than a 'rental boot'.
That's the issue though, no one rents boots other than rental boots.

James

Out There
Instructor
We rent a Tecnica Mach 1 boot, actually 2 versions- the MVL and HVL... and the ladies, so 3 models. Also Nordica Cruise, so 5 different 'demo level' boots that are better than a 'rental boot'.
Ah good to know. Op could take a Stowe trip and test out the HVL's.
That's Pinnacle?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
But, with such weird feet, you might actually find something at the early season ski swaps. $25- 50 might get you a boot you could have stretched, etc.

I like this idea, a cheap boot that you can have punched at both big and little toe perhaps as well as the liner cut

Sponsor