• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Renoun Z-90 157

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been skiing on the Renoun Z-90 in 165 for a year now. During that time, many women have asked about the shorter 157 length, so @Cyrus Schenck sent me a pair to put through the paces.

First impressions: Out of the box, I noticed that it seemed a little stiffer than the 165, but that doesn't mean much until you get on snow. My first chance to ski them was a cold day at Mt Rose (14º) two days after a nice 10-in. snowfall, with some fresh tracks to be found in the trees and packed powder groomers. While I felt that this ski was a smidge stiffer than the 165 feels, it didn't block me from doing anything I wanted to do; from steep trees and moguls to soft groomers, it was clear that this ski wanted to make short- to medium- and sometimes even shmedium-radius turns, which pleases me.

Here is a short video that @Andy Mink took of me skiing away from him with a variety of turn shapes.

Day 2: On our way to SIA, we stopped for a short day of skiing at Arapahoe Basin. Having had some nice snow within the past few days, the groomers were the perfect test for this ski. Yup, shmedium turns with the confidence to attack the clunky snow under the fresh blanket.

The HDT technology* does its job all the way down to this shorter size.
  • Who is it for? A small but strong skier looking for a powerful, smooth ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a GS feel.
  • Insider tip: Don't be afraid to drive the tip.
*I wonder if HDT should stand for Hot DamnTastic!

Last edited:

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd love to try those sometime! Not likely any time soon though as I am not in Colorado or Tahoe area. But I will say that for me @ 5'2"- 95 #, my Z 77 in the 157 are very accommodating to the smaller skier; and I'd expect the Z 90 to be just as lovely. These skis compel the skier to rise to those challenges he/she would otherwise forgo. They are so stable, and maneuverable, that one's mettle will be tested in a "most delightful way." ( thank you Mary Poppins & Robert Sherman.)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tricia, not to take anything away from the Renouns, but when are you gonna have Ray set you up with a pair of 155 slaloms on a firm day? That's a video I want to see sparks fly from.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy, dude, keep up, will ya'?
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I really wasn't that far behind but the fish eye lens on the GoPro makes it look that way. At least I pushed the right button this time. The first time I did it I got to the bottom and turned the camera...on.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd love to try those sometime! Not likely any time soon though as I am not in Colorado or Tahoe area. But I will say that for me @ 5'2"- 95 #, my Z 77 in the 157 are very accommodating to the smaller skier; and I'd expect the Z 90 to be just as lovely. These skis compel the skier to rise to those challenges he/she would otherwise forgo. They are so stable, and maneuverable, that one's mettle will be tested in a "most delightful way." ( thank you Mary Poppins & Robert Sherman.)
I found the 90s to be more lovelier than the 77s as an all around ski. You'll love them!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will say the 157's are a stout little ski. You will have to be a pretty good skier to get the most out of this little whirlwind of a ski.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia, not to take anything away from the Renouns, but when are you gonna have Ray set you up with a pair of 155 slaloms on a firm day? That's a video I want to see sparks fly from.
Seriously, I'm planning on taking a drop in Masters clinic with Ray this season. I can't wait to improve my skillz

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would love to help you get on these. Lets keep in touch with our travels. Perhaps you can come to Utah for the GTG.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I tried these skis todayI First, let me say I really liked them. But honestly, they left me a bit confused.

The skis carved amazingly, like a ski with a 77 waist. And that's why I was so baffled. There is a 77 waist version of this (which I haven't skied), so I'm confused as to whether this ski is trying to be a carver or all-mountain. The shape of it and the way it skis lead me to believe it's the former, but the waist aligns with the latter.

The 157 is the right size for my height/ability, and while I would probably say I'm an advanced skier, I thought the 157 was pretty stiff. I ski somewhat aggressively and lean into my turns and it made me finish them (a good thing - no cheating), but I didn't get much liveliness out of it. On the other hand, it was damp as f***. Very smooth. I feel like maybe in the smaller size, the ski construction and/or measurements need to be adjusted to accommodate a smaller, lighter skier? Maybe just a bit less metal? I'm not sure.

I am looking for a 75-85 more carving oriented ski for early conditions (and the current Tahoe conditions), but I don't think this is the right ski for me. I generally prefer something with a bit more pop and a tiny bit more flex and I'm willing to give up a little dampness to get it. I also tend to make slightly shorter turns than this ski wanted me to. Agree with @Tricia that the ski favors "shmedium" turns.

Just some quick thoughts after two runs.

Sponsor

Staff online