• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Has anyone found Renoun skis to be a good single teaching-ski quiver? Or any ski for that matter? I raised the question at the end of this post,

https://www.pugski.com/posts/280136/

But, answers and discussion seems more appropriate here in the ski school section, where instructors are more likely to find the question. So, please just use the earlier post for context.

I teach in the East. My teaching-ski choices are driven by hardpack and icy conditions.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Has anyone found Renoun skis to be a good single teaching-ski quiver? Or any ski for that matter? I raised the question at the end of this post,

But, answers and discussion seems more appropriate here in the ski school section, where instructors are more likely to find the question. So, please just use the earlier post for context.

I teach in the East. My teaching-ski choices are driven by hardpack and icy conditions.
The first Renoun I skied was the Z90 in a 174 and now I free ski a Z90 in a 180. If I was teaching I think the 174 would be a pretty good ski to teach on, ideally I might something a bit narrower but as a one-ski option, I am pretty cofident it would work.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
the price of the renoun you can get 2-3 pairs of skis that perform 90 percent as well as the Renoun in it category and better not inst in category.

If I was forced to pick one Renoun though Id get the 77mm Z, but honestly I dont like the feel of them(they can feel REALLY harsh in bumps and trees as the skis tries to stiffen on impacts), and certainly wouldnt spend 1299 on them. IMO you would be better off on a something like Head iTitan, Stockli AX, or basically any 75-85mm ish ski with two sheet of metal wood and a moderate sidecut.

but again if you really want a Renoun, get the 77mm.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
they can feel REALLY harsh in bumps and trees as the skis tries to stiffen on impacts

Interesting . I would not have thought a ski with two metal layers would be less harsh. Ok, thanks. Unfortunately, I’ve never seen them available for demo

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s pretty interesting. I wondered this, given the non-Newtonian characteristics.

I had similar experience to Josh's during my demo. Just didn't clicked.
Jonathan Ellsworth @ Blister Gear also posted similar experiences.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will let you know how it goes after I have some time this coming season teaching on my new Z90’s.

One of the things that justify the cost in my mind is the wide range of conditions I was able to ski with Z90’s when I demoed them all day during the Whistler Gathering. It can easily take the place of two skis in a quiver. It is a fair debate to have as to whether there are compromises to doing so, and everyone has to make that determination for themselves. I’m willing to adjust my opinion should I feel I’m missing out on some performance capabilities I would otherwise have with two separate pairs.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not an instructor. I've got both v1 Renoun Z90 174 and the Stockli Laser AX 168. For my 5'6" 160# advancing intermediate self the Z90 is more serious. It's heavier and more unforgiving . I've got to be more on it, driving it. The laser ax is more relaxed, but can fly when allowed. I find my self too forward after the Z90, and more natural balanced on the ax.

Also, for the price of the renoun, probably be able to find old stock laser for a discount. Otherwise, they both retail about the same.

I haven't tried the Z77, but if the Z90 is under consideration, maybe the Z77 should be too.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got both v1 Renoun Z90 174 and the Stockli Laser AX 168. For my 5'6" 160# advancing intermediate self the Z90 is more serious. It's heavier and more unforgiving . I've got to be more on it, driving it. The laser ax is more relaxed, but can fly when allowed. I find my self too forward after the Z90, and more natural balanced on the ax.

Given the info here, I'd say there's a good chance what you're describing is about ski length as much as anything. I'm a hair taller and 20lbs lighter. Level 8 skier. I have not tried the AX, unfortunately, but 168 would definitely be my size. I tried the Z90 for a few runs and liked it quite a bit, but I was on the 165. To me it skied like a fat slalom. With that in mind, I would not have wanted to go longer. I just suspect that at your height and at your point in the technique journey you don't have enough leverage over the 174cm Renoun.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
From your thread- Question: As a practical matter, I use two sets of skis for teaching, Softer wood skis for less dynamic (as opposed to slower though it is slower) skiing, Double Ti skis for more dynamic (as opposed to faster though it is faster) skiing on ice. Though the Renouns are said to be expensive, would they eliminate the need for two sets of skis? Can they carve as well as a ski for intermediates skiing slowly on packed powder? Can they carve as well as a double Ti ski at speed on ice?

YES- They will- I have Z-90's (I'm on 165's) I ski/teach here in East I really love this ski and for me it does anything and everything I ask of it. Last winter they pretty much were my 1 ski quiver...I have used them for teaching with no problems. Slow turns, big turns, little turns, crud, powder w/ice in the troughs they are a smooth ride Yes to your questions

I still love my Atomic Cloud 11's (71's) for hard packed corduroy days but it's more for my old knees some days they need 71 under foot for ripping vs 90.

I'd like to try the Z-77's may be the ticket for us in the East

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I wouldnt teach day to day on such a nice ski. You will eat it up in one season. The Heads are pretty bomber like the Titan and the Monsters.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I wouldnt teach day to day on such a nice ski. You will eat it up in one season. The Heads are pretty bomber like the Titan and the Monsters.

In what way are the Renoun less durable than the Heads?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the info here, I'd say there's a good chance what you're describing is about ski length as much as anything. I'm a hair taller and 20lbs lighter. Level 8 skier. I have not tried the AX, unfortunately, but 168 would definitely be my size. I tried the Z90 for a few runs and liked it quite a bit, but I was on the 165. To me it skied like a fat slalom. With that in mind, I would not have wanted to go longer. I just suspect that at your height and at your point in the technique journey you don't have enough leverage over the 174cm Renoun.

Not sure how to respond. I like the input, but don't know how to evaluate it. Maybe I need to try a Z90 165. [Anyone in Tahoe care to share?] That said, it's not an inability (on my part) to brush, bend, carve. The sweet spot on the Renouns is just smaller, so not as forgiving. After the first day or two, haven't been in the back seat since. It was a great instructional tool for that. I can do all my stupid beginning of the day drills on either set. I've taken both into (my) stupid fast speeds, where I'm scared to fall for fear of breaking something.

That said, the Renoun Z90 is still not as comfortable as the Laser AX, and I imagine being comfortable might be a key feature for instructors.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Not sure how to respond. I like the input, but don't know how to evaluate it. Maybe I need to try a Z90 165. [Anyone in Tahoe care to share?] That said, it's not an inability (on my part) to brush, bend, carve. The sweet spot on the Renouns is just smaller, so not as forgiving. After the first day or two, haven't been in the back seat since. It was a great instructional tool for that. I can do all my stupid beginning of the day drills on either set. I've taken both into (my) stupid fast speeds, where I'm scared to fall for fear of breaking something.

That said, the Renoun Z90 is still not as comfortable as the Laser AX, and I imagine being comfortable might be a key feature for instructors.

Not sure if this is relevant, but a review of Renoun skis somewhere in Pugski mentioned something about their "centerline" being way forward of where most folks would consider to be center

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if this is relevant, but a review of Renoun skis somewhere in Pugski mentioned something about their "centerline" being way forward of where most folks would consider to be center

@karlo, I've been part of that discussion (for better or worse ;-) and have Attack 13 Demos just to play w/ fore/aft issues. You might have also noted that @Philpug also mentioned the smaller sweet spot and being almost thrown the first few times skiing the Renouns. I'm sure I'm not an isolated incident.

Sponsor

Staff online