• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 6.42.44 AM.png
Sometimes I feel like a DJ playing requests: this Cage Match goes out to first-time caller and long-time listener @David Chaus, who asked us to compare the Renoun Endurance 98 V3.0 with the Citadel 106. As it happens, I have these skis in our test fleet. Both are new designs for 2019. The Endurance is in its third generation, which is why we call it V3.0, and the Citadel is the ski that Cyrus built everything else for, his dream.

IMHO, @Cyrus Schenck finally got the Endurance right. I stress, in my opinion, because I thought the first two generations had just too much -- too much taper and too much rocker in the tips and tails, and too much stiffness underfoot. It was not a great sum of its design parts. Recipes are there for a reason, and balance is key. I wanted to like the earlier Endurances but they just didn't work for me. Enter the new ski. It is amazing how much Cyrus has matured in his young ski-building career. The new Endurance 98 skis like a premium ski, all over the mountain, no matter where you point it. With the HDT, it handles firm snow, soft snow, and crud as you would expect a 98mm ski to do. It is balanced in its taper, rocker, and flex.

The Citadel and the Endurance share similar winning shapes, and like I said earlier, this is the ski that Cyrus wanted to build from the start but couldn’t for various reasons. Which is good, because had he built this with, say, the earlier Endurance shape, it would not have succeeded and could have even hurt the brand. Like the Endurance, the Citadel is a mature shape and a winning one at that. What separates the Citadel from the Endurance is weight. You can feel the carbon-framed lightness of the 106; it pairs well with the HDT. There is an off-piste bias with the Citadel, but it does not lose its composure when brought back to the groomers; it handles as well as you could expect a One Oh Something to perform.
  • Why choose the Endurance 98 V3.0? You want on-piste performance from a premium ski, something more than a Bonafide or Enforcer but not as stout as an MX99.
  • Why choose the Citadel 106? You need a ski to put the awesome new Atomic/Salomon Shift on. Nothing against Amer’s ski offerings, but this is the ski that binding was designed for.
  • Insider tip 1: I would still like to see both of these skis evolve into a series. I think the Endurance could be offered in an 88 and even a 108, and the Citadel could be a 96 and 116.
  • Insider tip 2: @Tricia just received the Endurance 98 in her size, so expect a comparison of that with the Black Pearl 98, one of her reference skis in the category.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the comparison.

I’m toying with a middle-of-the-quiver ski to go along with my Z90, and the likely acquisition of a powder ski (probably ON3P Billy Goat). Any thoughts on which of these two fill that spot? I’ve realized I don’t need the width to be any wider than the Z90 but to have different characteristics (easier to pivot in bumps and crud, especially in steeps). I’m guessing the Endurance 98, though I could see the Citadel as well in that role.

FWIW I have 12 days on my Z90’s now and totally love them as a frontside carver and frontside-oriented all mountain ski, and a teaching ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug I'm curious where you ended up mounting the Shift bindings on your 178 Citadel? On the line or -1?
I went back 2...and could have gone more...but these are 178's the 184, I went back 2.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve realized I don’t need the width to be any wider than the Z90 but to have different characteristics (easier to pivot in bumps and crud, especially in steeps).

When you figure this out, let me know and buy a second pair for me please.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When you figure this out, let me know and buy a second pair for me please.
You need to try the Endurance 98 when we're at Big Sky.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
just finishing up a review on the 98 V3. A very fine ski indeed. Vastly improved on-piste performance. Love this version in the bumps. more to come.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
  • Insider tip 1: I would still like to see both of these skis evolve into a series. I think the Endurance could be offered in an 88 and even a 108, and the Citadel could be a 96 and 116.
I wouldn't say so much that it was a different category but maybe a different feel. I have found that just because one construction works well in one area that it should in an other or in some cases it works better. i found that the BMX105 was a better application of it's desing and construction for the application than the 95..or even the 85. Some times scaling works and sometimes it doesn't.
Second quote is about the Kastle FX95. Curious what it is about the Endurance and Citadel that you think will scale well.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Second quote is about the Kastle FX95. Curious what it is about the Endurance and Citadel that you think will scale well.
Good question. I think it is the shape of the tip and tail mostly. There is a bit more flair than the (current) FX/BMX's, that will allow better firm snow performance that the FX is lacking but still retain the soft snow agility that the BMX has. IMHO this is why we are seeing a new shape in next years FX collection, it is increase the hard snow performance a la the original FX.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
just finishing up a review on the 98 V3. A very fine ski indeed. Vastly improved on-piste performance. Love this version in the bumps. more to come.

Any update? How would you compare the Endurance 98 to: Enforcer 100, Mantra M5 or Bonafide?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I had posted up on the Renoun 98 V3 thread. The new shape is a winner. The ski engages much better on the groomed the lowered tail splay/rocker is noticeable and provides added running length and is more workable. I think its more of a finesse ski than the Enforcer and I haven't been a Bonafide fan so theres no question there for me :). the Renoun has a better on snow feel and is more nimble feeling and certainly is quick with its light weight. I cant compare to the M5. I could own the 184.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
I had posted up on the Renoun 98 V3 thread. The new shape is a winner. The ski engages much better on the groomed the lowered tail splay/rocker is noticeable and provides added running length and is more workable. I think its more of a finesse ski than the Enforcer and I haven't been a Bonafide fan so theres no question there for me :). the Renoun has a better on snow feel and is more nimble feeling and certainly is quick with its light weight. I cant compare to the M5. I could own the 184.

Would it be too light of a ski for a larger skier (210+ lbs)? The concept and some of the limited reviews seem intriguing. Is the price point worth it...is it that much better?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
good question: 210 + hard charger's may want more but the HTD is for real and the Endurance is not a noodle. So not to sound like a marketing response, Renoun does offer a 100 day guarantee that you could buy and try. @Cyrus Schenck please jump in here.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would it be too light of a ski for a larger skier (210+ lbs)? The concept and some of the limited reviews seem intriguing. Is the price point worth it...is it that much better?
I think so. With @Cyrus Schenck and Renoun's 100 day return policy...there is little risk and you can judge for yourself.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'9" 170 lbs. If I really like the BMX105 non-HP 181cm as a travel-ski, would I find the Endurance 98 184 too long, or better to consider the 178 ?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'9" 170 lbs. If I really like the BMX105 non-HP 181cm as a travel-ski, would I find the Endurance 98 184 too long, or better to consider the 178 ?

Andy, i think the 178 would be good for you. You are welcome to try mine if you want

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Graham, I'm hoping to see you on the slopes tomorrow at Collingwood.
I'll take you up on the Renouns another day.

Sponsor

Staff online