• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Renoun Endurance 98 184, Look Pivots mounted to the recommended boot center.
Me: 5’ 10”, 175 lbs, PSIA 8 (on a good day).
Current daily driver: Head Rev 85 Pro 177, which I love. Past loves: Atomic Access 171, Head Worldup iSL 160.
Conditions: Bulletproof groomers early, changing to softening corn over hardpack and deep heavy mashed potatoes.
Short summary: Part of me was really hoping that I wouldn’t like them, because then I could send them back and get a pair of Rustler 10’s for less than half the price. But I don’t think that’s gonna happen.

There's a lot of headscratching about these, so first I want to talk about what I think I understand about the technology; I’m a mechanical engineer and during my one day on these skis I had so many seemingly contradictory impressions of them that I needed to do some research to try to make sense of it. Hopefully by the end I’ll be able to do that, and if I get anything terribly wrong I’d appreciate being corrected.

We talk a lot about stiffness and dampness, but I think it would be good to make sure those terms are carefully defined. Stiffness is the measure of how much a spring will deflect under a given load. Damping is the measure of how aggressively the energy of the motion is dissipated by the system.

Think about a mass hanging on a spring. If you pull it down and release it it’ll bounce up and down for a really long time because there’s very little damping; this condition is called underdamped. On the other hand, if you attach a really strong damper between it and the ceiling it’ll very slowly return to its normal position; this is called overdamped. Somewhere in between is an amount of damping that will allow it to settle to its final position in the least amount of time without any overshoot; this is called critically damped. If take a critically damped system and make the spring stiffer, you’ll find that it’s now underdamped. So this balancing act between mass, stiffness and damping is what you’re feeling when you experience how damp a ski feels.

HDT is Renoun’s name for what is more generally known as dilatent fluid damping. As you know from watching Renoun’s videos, dilatent fluids have a viscosity that increases with increasing strain rates (the speed at which its being deformed); silly putty and water/corn starch mixtures are common examples. If you google search the phrase “dilatent fluid damping” you’ll find a boatload of technical papers on it, one paper in particular being Smart Viscous Dampers utilizing Shear Thickening Fluids with Silica Nanoparticles (http://www.iitk.ac.in/nicee/wcee/article/WCEE2012_1639.pdf). I’m pretty sure that the material tested in that paper is similar to what Renoun uses (EDIT: I’ve since found out that it’s NOT the same material - see post #12 below). Pull the paper up and study Figure 4.2(a), and you'll see that the material it tests shows some very interesting behavior: if you hold the displacement of the material constant and increase the frequency at which you deform it, the amount of force it takes to do so increases. If you compare that with Figure 4.2(b) through (d), you’ll also see that if you hold the frequency constant and increase the displacement, the amount of force needed also increases.

So how might I expect these skis to feel? Think about a sharp-edged ski with this stuff in it on a hard-frozen groomer. When you tip the ski and get the edge to bite there won’t be a lot of compliance in the grip; the edge will either grab or it won’t. The leading point of contact will skip over surface irregularities (such as the peaks of the corduroy) at a very high frequency, which will cause the fluid viscosity to increase to a very high level. The ski will be highly overdamped; when you pressure the tips to try to bend the ski it will respond very slowly and give the impression of being very stiff (but remember, the dilatant fluid does not actually make the ski stiffer).

As the surface begins to soften it will begin to yield to the leading point of contact; there will be a transition from skipping over a hard surface to a steady peeling away of the snow under the edge. As that happens both the input frequency and the amplitude of deformation of the ski will drop, which means the fluid viscosity will drop, which means that the ski will bend more readily in response to pressuring and will thus feel softer. When conditions are very soft and you’re going slow you’ll have a very low deformation amplitude and frequency, and the ski will feel fully compliant. But then if you increase speed the amplitude and frequency of deformation will go back up, and the ski will feel less and less compliant again.

And guess what? - that’s EXACTLY what I had experienced. In the morning when I put them on edge on a bulletproof groomer I couldn’t get them to bend, they felt like 2x4s locked into a single turn radius that they liked and that was it. But as the hardpack softened up they started feeling more compliant. In deep cut-up piles of mank I was making these nice bouncy short radius turns, then bombed some wide GS that ended up going a LOT faster than I normally would have felt comfortable with in that stuff but these things were just smooooooth. At one point on a steep, firm (but not too firm) run with piles of corn all over the place, I realized at the last instant that I was about to carve over a nasty set of slalom-course gate ruts going completely the wrong way and my heart leapt into my throat. I KNEW I was going to get spread out all over the hill, but they just registered as a blip as I went over them. It was a total non-event, even though my GPS showed I was doing around 40 mph. And then I went dancing though a mogul field for a while, and that was good too.

I did end up concluding that the 186’s are too long for me, just a bit too much input was needed to get the turn shapes I wanted. But aside from that, I found that pretty much no matter what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go, whatever turn shape I tried, these things would go there at any speed that I had the nerve for without any excitement. At first they seemed boring because they’re so quiet, they don’t feel poppy and energetic and I like poppy and energetic so I missed that. But they’re compliant and responsive enough to be a lot of fun in bumps and at low speed, and then at high speed can go from hardpack to piles of mush and back in a single turn with minimal disturbance. As the day progressed I went from “meh” to “hey, that’s neat” to “wow, that’s really impressive” to “damn, these things are kickass!”.

So pending further evaluation, it looks like the biggest tradeoff I can find on these things is compliance while on a hard carve on boilerplate. Yeah, well, boilerplate isn’t what I’m getting a pair of 100-ish underfoot skis for. And there’s probably a lot you can do with the fluid properties in terms of strain-rate sensitivity and relaxation time to tailor the feel differently for a different style ski… I’d really like to drive the Z-77s sometime to see how it compares. I’m kicking myself that I didn’t think of this first, and I told Cyrus that I hope he makes a boatload of money on it.

And I’m really impressed by the customer service. I sent an email explaining why I thought I should get the 178s, and a couple of days later Cyrus sent me an email on Sunday evening. We had a brief back-and-forth, and the next morning I had a tracking number by 9:00 AM and the skis in hand by Tuesday evening (overnight from VT to MI was only $50). He didn’t even wait until I shipped the first pair back, told me to swap the bindings out and ship them back afterward! So I’ve got the 184s boxed up now for return, am waxing the 178s to take north this weekend, and have a trip to A-Basin tentatively planned for April 12-14.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: the talk about how this fluid doesn’t comply with Newton’s Third Law drives me crazy. EVERYTHING complies with Newton’s Third Law, these are non-Newtonian fluids but that refers to Newton’s Law of Viscosity which is a completely different thing. That really gets my inner nerdgeek-rainman going.

Anyway, back to putting base-prep heat cycles on these things!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
PSIA 8 (on a good day).
I like this description. ;)

At your size, I'd think that you're good for the 178s. I'm glad you got that sorted out.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long read but that was great!

I wish I could try these somehow, but AFAIK they don't do demos. Buying one with the intent of returning just feels wrong. What do they do with the skis that are returned? Especially now that it has screw holes in it.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nemissi, not sure what AFAIK stands for, but I am pretty sure Renoun does do mtn demo's and they publish a schedule of where and when.

Chilehed,

I am a mechanical engineer also, so I actually understood all the tech terms you used. One thing surprises me in your review, you said the skis were good in a mogul field. I would expect them to stiffen a lot and be punishing. I suppose it depends on the speed you are skiing at. If your going slow the frequency of impact is very low, even if the force of impact is large.

Blister just published an initial review of the ski and found them to act like 2X4's and really hated them in moguls. The reviewer made it very clear he was very confused and surprised by the ski. I think he was skiing them very fast and tried going even faster to get them to bend (which only makes it worse). It will be interesting so see if he slows down and gets in softer snow and then gets the other behavior to come out of the ski. I usually agree with the Blister reviews, and I have bought several of the skis they really like. I heard good things about the Renouns, so I was pretty surprised by the Blister review, but your info sheds some light. I would speculate a lot of the good reviews on Pugski are on soft snow and slower speeds.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nemissi, not sure what AFAIK stands for, but I am pretty sure Renoun does do mtn demo's and they publish a schedule of where and when.
AFAIK = As Far As I Know. My understanding is that Renoun isn’t doing open demos any more since they moved to the 100-day guarantee strategy. I had originally planned a trip to Stowe and was fishing for a demo opportunity but they weren't taking my very unsubtle hints so I gathered it was a "no". The trip got cancelled anyway, I got the flu the weekend before and am still getting over it.

Chilehed,.. One thing surprises me in your review, you said the skis were good in a mogul field. I would expect them to stiffen a lot and be punishing. I suppose it depends on the speed you are skiing at. If your going slow the frequency of impact is very low, even if the force of impact is large.

Blister just published an initial review of the ski and found them to act like 2X4's and really hated them in moguls. The reviewer made it very clear he was very confused and surprised by the ski. I think he was skiing them very fast and tried going even faster to get them to bend (which only makes it worse)...
I’m pretty slow through the bumps, and they weren’t the hugest things in the world although they were quite hard. I’m betting that the excitation of a fast zipper line would make these skis feel super stiff. I too got the impression he was driving faster and harder to try to get them to bend, which would have the opposite result with these. Which makes me realize that I need to pay close attention to how to do an emergency direction change - hauling a$$ on edge, damping’s really high and suddenly someone’s closing in on the outside of the turn. You need to tighten the turn up in a hurry, but… yeah… I’m gonna spend a lot of time with that this weekend, but conditions look to be pretty soft so it won’t be worst case.

I had wondered whether or not the strain rate sensitivity might also be a function of excitation frequency, but looking at the figures in that paper more closely, I see that, for example, the peak force needed at 0.1 Hz and 10 mm displacement is about the same as for 1 Hz and 1.0 mm. So that appears to be not a factor, it’s just a function of deformation rate.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, yeah, one more thing: the talk about how this fluid doesn’t comply with Newton’s Third Law drives me crazy. EVERYTHING complies with Newton’s Third Law, these are non-Newtonian fluids but that refers to Newton’s Law of Viscosity which is a completely different thing.

OK, when we start discussing thixotropic flow, I'm out. This is a ski site, damn it! ;)

Seriously, I never know how much cred to give Blister reviews for me, because I no longer typically ski a million miles an hour, and Jonathan Ellsworth absolutely HAULS ASS.

I wish he would get off my lawn.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
Buying one with the intent of returning just feels wrong. What do they do with the skis that are returned? Especially now that it has screw holes in it.
That’s how I feel. Also, a 100 day return policy is great, but does little to allay my concerns at the end of the season, especially if I’m stuck between models and/or sizes. I’m so glad I got to try the Z90. With such glowing reviews here, I was tempted even though I had my doubts. Trying it confirmed it’s not the ski I want. At least that question is answered.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for your informed discussion Chilehed. I started a recent thread about Renoun skis as well, that explores some of the same issues.

A big question I have is, for this polymer, what is the shape of curve that shows the relationship between shear forces and viscosity? For example, does viscosity increase with shear forces in a linear fashion? It is progressive? Regressive? Exponential? In simple terms, does the viscosity, and hence the resistance to deformation and damping properties of the ski, increase smoothly with speed, or does it increase abruptly, which would create more of an "On" and "Off" situation?

It's definitely interesting technology which is fun to geek-out about. For now, I'll stick to skis built with "traditional" methods, like a solid wood core, and supportive sandwich construction.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I found that pretty much no matter what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go, whatever turn shape I tried, these things would go there at any speed that I had the nerve for without any excitement. At first they seemed boring because they’re so quiet, they don’t feel poppy and energetic and I like poppy and energetic so I missed that. But they’re compliant and responsive enough to be a lot of fun in bumps and at low speed, and then at high speed can go from hardpack to piles of mush and back in a single turn with minimal disturbance. As the day progressed I went from “meh” to “hey, that’s neat” to “wow, that’s really impressive” to “damn, these things are kickass!”.
Hit the nail on the head from boring to kickass these skis respond to the the mood of the driver at that moment. A true one quiver ski.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I have some problems with the science in this thread.
Newtonian or non-Newtonian behavior only applies to liquids as described by Newton's law of viscosity.
We are talking about solid damping layers and the equation that describes the extensional behavior of solids is Hooke's Law.
The concept are vaguely similar but the behavior of solids is more complicated than liquids and the math is much more complicated.
That said, solid damping layers with non-linear properties can act as described in most of these posts.
Getting this concept to actually work usefully in a dynamic structure like a ski is very difficult.
Most non-Hookeian polymers are quite sensitive to temperature.
Therein lies the rub with skis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ahhhh. I love it when things get progressively more complex, and knowledge comes pouring in from people who know or have good ideas. So what's in these skis? Should we call it a liquid? A very viscous liquid? A solid? Is is non-Newtonian or non-Hookeian?

The possible temperature sensitivity is an interesting point, and could possible explain some of the radically different reactions to these skis, for example, the comments about about how all turn shapes are accessible, a quiver of one, vs. some very experienced skier's impression that they would hardly bend at all, and generally skied poorly. Is it all speed dependent? Conditions dependent? Style/technique/anatomy dependent? Surely some combination of everything.

It would also be fun to do an A/B blind demo of two versions of this ski, one with the special polymer, and one without, some relatively inert substance added to keep the weight the same.

Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting that the polymer doesn't do something....I'm just interested by the many impressions of this ski.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some problems with the science in this thread.
Newtonian or non-Newtonian behavior only applies to liquids as described by Newton's law of viscosity.
We are talking about solid damping layers and the equation that describes the extensional behavior of solids is Hooke's Law.
I’m pretty sure that you’re right in one way, and mistaken in another. In one of the Blister podcasts Cyrus specifically says that it's polydimethysiloxane crosslinked with boron, which is a viscoelastic fluid, not a solid. It really is a variety of Silly Putty.

But you’re right in that I was basing my thoughts on the behavior of a different fluid, which may not have the exact same properties as what Renoun is actually using.

...A big question I have is, for this polymer, what is the shape of curve that shows the relationship between shear forces and viscosity? For example, does viscosity increase with shear forces in a linear fashion? It is progressive? Regressive? Exponential? In simple terms, does the viscosity, and hence the resistance to deformation and damping properties of the ski, increase smoothly with speed, or does it increase abruptly, which would create more of an "On" and "Off" situation?...
Good question. There's a paper that indicates Silly Putty has a relaxation time constant of about 0.1 second, but that's obviously going to be a function of the boric acid content. And I just found this paper, which I don’t have access to but the abstract seems to give interesting clues:

"The relaxation time and viscosity changes of 30–50% boron-siloxane polymer solutions as a function of the deformation rate γ yield curves of a complicated shape which have a central part indicating an anomalous increase. The part with the largest γ value on the stress-deformation curve shows in the pre-stationary stage a critical strength which characterizes the fracture of the intermolecular bonds formed during deformation."​

It’s possible that I may be able to get Russian paper through a research library I have access to, but in the meantime I think I’m going to buy some Silly Putty this evening.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Renoun says non Newtonian which implies a fluid but if they said non Hooksian nobody would have a clue.
That patent language describes a kind of silicone rubber and a pic on the Renoun site seems to show a tech with gloves using a squeegee to put the polymer in the slots.
I can't see that a liquid in those slots would do much but a well bonded rubber insert would definitely affect the ski.
Maybe not so different from the Blossom Pirelli skis that use rubber inserts made by Pirelli supposedly wit F1 tire technology.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
HDT does not immediately change the ski from being a noodle to an I-Beam..it just doesn't, it dampens the ski, not stiffen it. I have skied these skis all over the mountain in pretty much every condtion and I never felt any of the 174 or 180 Z's to be overly stiff in any application or the 178 or 184 Endurance 98 to be either. Now with that said I am average sized, 5'11" and 190lb and have never felt the sized that I would regularly ski be too stiff.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blister just published an initial review of the ski and found them to act like 2X4's and really hated them in moguls.

:doh: Ahh now I understand why I had such a hard time in bump camp at Mary Jane. I was on my Renoun's. Are they the best choice for mogul's? Probably not. Are they 2x4's? Probably not.

@tball you are a bump master jedi. What's your bsl?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:doh: Ahh now I understand why I had such a hard time in bump camp at Mary Jane. I was on my Renoun's. Are they the best choice for mogul's? Probably not. Are they 2x4's? Probably not.

@tball you are a bump master jedi. What's your bsl?
304. I'm no bump Yoda, but would love to take 'em for a spin. :D

Would be great to meet you and bump it up in any case. I'm at Copper and kiddos are in ski school tomorrow. PM if you want to make some turns.

TS
chilehed

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At your size, I'd think that you're good for the 178s. I'm glad you got that sorted out.
Yep, you're right, the 184s were entirely too big for me. The 178s feel like a completely different ski, very responsive in any condition and a total blast.

I’ll say it bigger for the record:
I HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE NOW. THESE THINGS ARE A BLAST! I’M AN IDIOT!!

HDT does not immediately change the ski from being a noodle to an I-Beam..it just doesn't, it dampens the ski, not stiffen it.
Absolutely, a damper doesn’t (and can’t) stiffen a spring. And while (in a desperate and pitiful attempt to save face) I’m grasping for reasons why maybe if I was on a ski that I felt like I could sort of bend (in some conditions) the stuff could (in other conditions) make it seem like I couldn’t bend it at all, I can’t come up with any that I find plausible.

The possible temperature sensitivity is an interesting point, and could possible explain some of the radically different reactions to these skis...
In my case I have to just go back to I’m an idiot, I was on the wrong size: 6 cm shorter and 1.5 m tighter sidecut made a world of difference.

A big question I have is, for this polymer, what is the shape of curve that shows the relationship between shear forces and viscosity?
I’m thinking that there are certainly deflection points in the curves, but with the right choices you should be able to avoid those areas. And again, although a damper will result in a system feeling hard to high input frequencies, after further thought I don't see any way that this system can end up feeling rock hard in the range of frequencies that have to do with how bendable the ski feels. Honestly, I really wish I had kept my mouth shut for a few days longer and used the time to review this picture in one of my college texts.
:doh:

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got back from Big Sky, skiing on the Endurance 98 for the first 4 days, and Z90's for the last 2. I had only skied the Endurance for 1 day earlier in the season, on some harder snow, so I was anxious to try them further. They were awesome in some fluffy powder, and in harder wind buff, and chopped up stuff too. I loved them in the bumps. They are soft and compliant and have a nice shape. On the groomers , in firmer snow, they were also great. You can tip and rip as fast as you want to go. When the snow was getting used up , I switched to the Z90's. Not as easy in the bumps. I think the big tail on those makes it too hard to release. Not bad , but different enough that I had to think about it . They are definitely more fun on groomers.
Is the HDT all it is marketed to be? I'm not 100% sure, but I sure had fun on them.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi folks,

I'm still having trouble reconciling the contrasting views of these skis. Some people love them, think they're the greatest one ski quiver ever, and so on, while others can hardly get them to bend. And these impressions, on both sides, come from experienced skiers.

The differences in perception/experience seem to go beyond the usual. Of course, everybody has somewhat different impressions about skis, but these seem like radical differences.

1) Could people be on different versions of these skis? Have in-line changes been made, so that there are multiple versions out there in the world?

2) Worse, could it be a quality control issue? Could the special damping material, or any other internal parts of the ski, vary greatly between one-ski and another?

3) Could this damping material be particularly temperature sensitive, or sensitive to some other environmental factor?

4) Are these skis especially sensitive to sizing/length options--some people seem to report big differences between skis of only slightly different lengths (184 vs. 178)

5) If not any of the above, are these skis particularly sensitive to different style or techniques?

6) Are these differences just related to speed? The theory of, and the marketing speak for, the damping material suggest that the flex characteristics should vary with speed. Are people's varying impressions just because they ski at different speeds?

I remain curious though skeptical.

Bruno

DrGT

Booting up
Skier
My time to put my 2 cents.

I was looking for an all mountain ski (I already have piste skis and powder skis). I am an advanced skier I guess. I bought the Endurance 98 V2 last november after much reading. I am 5'8" , 165 lbs and went with the 178 cm.
I bought them because of the promises of HDT. I was looking for a ski that was light, playful and nimble at low speeds when I ski what I love the most: bumps, trees, soft snow. But I was also looking for a ski that can hold an edge on piste, because you know, you have to be on piste sometimes... At least to get to your playground and come back.
I have been on them for around 35 days now.
I have used them is almost every possible conditions: Icy steep groomers, corduroy, powder, bumps, trees, crud, etc.

I have to admit that it was no miracle ski. I was a bit deceived at first (to say the least...). I had to get used to them. I bought demo bindings and have played with different positions and finally settled at - 1cm from the suggested mounting position. For me, it is the most interesting position: the ski responds faster and carves better.
It is a ski that demand to be driven, but still forgives a lot. Strange.

It excels in soft conditions where it has definitely a soft flex. It also simply destroys variable conditions. You can encounter big changes in snow conditions, and the ski will "eat" everything happily.
It is not a short radius carving ski, as it prefers long, fast, GS style turns. It is amazingly stable in that kind of turns.
You can go way too fast ;) and feel the damping. Cooooooool. That HDT works!
But it is also really hard to make short radius carving turns with this ski, at least for me and the 3 other (good and experienced) skiers that have tried mines. BTW, none of these 3 skiers fell in love with the ski, but everyone agrees about the damping and the agility at low speeds. The ski simply doesn't seem to accept to bend and carve a short radius turn. It feels dumb and heavy if you try to bend it at low / intermediate speeds. You have to follow the radius that the ski wants... At least this is my feeling.
... but I have to admit that, sometimes, in certain conditions, I seem to be suddenly blessed and am able to carve them at a way shorter radius and they collaborate. Strange again.

Nevertheless, I would definitely have preferred a shorter radius design, with wider tips and tails.

I have been really hesitant to change them for the 169 cm version, in hope of a shorter turn radius, but finally kept my 178 cm as I got used to them and the longer length helps for flotation.
... and my 100 days have now expired. So, I'll stick with the 178 obviously...

According to my readings and experience, HDT is not affected by temperature. And I have used them in really cold weather (- 25 Celsius) with no apparent change in behaviour.

My conclusion: A good and surprising ski, but not for everyone one and not perfect. Maybe version 3 ???