• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mj2936

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
They don’t

The Kore is light & nimble

Citadel skis like a non carbon ski, more dampness.

How aggressive are you & what turnshape do you favor? With what you have provided, I’d say 178’s

Aggressive but not not bombing down the mountains anymore. I like a more relaxed ride usually, but then when the snow is good my aggressiveness goes up a lot (assume like many). I do seek out challenging terrain though, but like to be more methodical down these than just gungho charging.
I like that the citadels are described as damp, but at that weight. I'm guessing...still a lively ski?
I felt a lot of skis with dual layers of metal was always a little too damp for my tastes (I'm thinking bonafides, even enforcers to a point)

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Aggressive but not not bombing down the mountains anymore. I like a more relaxed ride usually, but then when the snow is good my aggressiveness goes up a lot (assume like many). I do seek out challenging terrain though, but like to be more methodical down these than just gungho charging.
I like that the citadels are described as damp, but at that weight. I'm guessing...still a lively ski?
I felt a lot of skis with dual layers of metal was always a little too damp for my tastes (I'm thinking bonafides, even enforcers to a point)

I’d say that they are more lively that the Kore, yet with a damp bias- I’d still say 178. The Kore is a lite ski, it really gets deflected at speed & with crud.

If you are touring more than descending - Kore.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’d say that they are more lively that the Kore, yet with a damp bias- I’d still say 178. The Kore is a lite ski, it really gets deflected at speed & with crud.

If you are touring more than descending - Kore.

I am pretty sure the Citadel is significantly lighter than the Kore. I am looking at the Citadel for touring use as well as inbounds. I would say its better at both. I do think they ski different, but I haven't skied the Kore 105, so I maybe blowing smoke here.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I am still a little confused about the differences between the Endurance and Citadel in terms of what one would use them for.

For example, I have a Z90, and I have my eyes on an ON3P Billy Goat (116mm) for a PNW powder ski. What would better fill the gap in my quiver between these two, Endurance or Citadel and why?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
OK, I am still a little confused about the differences between the Endurance and Citadel in terms of what one would use them for.

For example, I have a Z90, and I have my eyes on an ON3P Billy Goat (116mm) for a PNW powder ski. What would better fill the gap in my quiver between these two, Endurance or Citadel and why?

The Endurance is more of a freeride ski. The Citadel will carve lil better.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Endurance is more of a freeride ski. The Citadel will carve lil better.

Thanks, that’s helpful. Really, carve better even with the extra width? That said, I’ve read the Endurance v3.0 carves lil better than the v2.5 and if I recall you had/have the v2.5.

@Cyrus Schenck any thoughts?

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
Thanks, that’s helpful. Really, carve better even with the extra width? That said, I’ve read the Endurance v3.0 carves lil better than the v2.5 and if I recall you had/have the v2.5.

@Cyrus Schenck any thoughts?
Citadel is lighter, stiffer, has a longer radius (by about 1.5M - not much but enough to notice) and will obviously float better in deep snow.
New V3 of the Endurance cares well on groomers because of it's tighter radius.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to mount my Citadels with Attack 13 Demo's tomorrow. Before I commit to attachment, to be sure. 33" from the tail for the 185? That puts it 2cm behind the line. It that the good starting point?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Everyone -
The mounting location marked on the ski is still correct - and varies by length. There is still a sticker on the actual ski and a tick-mark on the edge of the ski as well.

Hope this helps!
Cyrus

I'm personally going -1cm on the 191cm's

Cyrus,

Can you expand on how to choose the boot center mounting position on your new Citadel? You seem to say the line marked on the ski is correct, but then you say you are mounting yours at -1cm. If I read the above posts correctly, you are recommending -2 for graham418. I am confused? and wonder if others will be as well? Can you expand on your approach to this?

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
Cyrus,

Can you expand on how to choose the boot center mounting position on your new Citadel? You seem to say the line marked on the ski is correct, but then you say you are mounting yours at -1cm. If I read the above posts correctly, you are recommending -2 for graham418. I am confused? and wonder if others will be as well? Can you expand on your approach to this?
Sure!
@graham418 asked if 33" put him at -2cm behind the line, and I confirmed. The recommended line is still where it's at and it's up to each user to decide exactly where they want to mount. Looks like Graham decided -2cm was good for him.
I chose -1cm for mine because I'm 6'6", 210lbs and really should be skiing a 198-202cm ski or something. The extra 1cm for me is to ooch out a little more length. I could have gone -2cm+, but I tend to ski more 'progressive' ie more neutral stance (I've been told it's a millennial thing ogsmile).
At the end of the day, it's all up to each person to decide where to mount. Our "factory recommended" is exactly that - recommended. Moving a binding backward or forwards will have the same general effect no matter the ski manufacturer (all skis are basically sticks with a part of a circle cut out of them). When in doubt, put it at recommended. When you have experience with your own skiing style/snow conditions/terrain to know you like a ski forward or back, that's when you can start mounting in different places.
Hope this helps!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sure!
@graham418 asked if 33" put him at -2cm behind the line, and I confirmed. The recommended line is still where it's at and it's up to each user to decide exactly where they want to mount. Looks like Graham decided -2cm was good for him.
I chose -1cm for mine because I'm 6'6", 210lbs and really should be skiing a 198-202cm ski or something. The extra 1cm for me is to ooch out a little more length. I could have gone -2cm+, but I tend to ski more 'progressive' ie more neutral stance (I've been told it's a millennial thing ogsmile).
At the end of the day, it's all up to each person to decide where to mount. Our "factory recommended" is exactly that - recommended. Moving a binding backward or forwards will have the same general effect no matter the ski manufacturer (all skis are basically sticks with a part of a circle cut out of them). When in doubt, put it at recommended. When you have experience with your own skiing style/snow conditions/terrain to know you like a ski forward or back, that's when you can start mounting in different places.
Hope this helps!
That is a great answer. And thanks for being here for stuff like this.

I do feel however that there is some variation ski to ski. Like you, I am tall and not low mass. I have a tendency to power the tails of my skis more than the shovels (ha, not a millenial). I've found I often like the bindings back .5 to 1 cm also. But not always, and not on every ski. My rock skis are Monster 83s. I like em right on the line. My Z-90s feel a little vague entering a turn if I am on the line*. But move em one cm back and boom I can drive them as hard as I want and they just give back more than they receive.

*For the sake of clarity "on the line" for my z-90s is the 2nd generation line, ie the "philpug" line. I like them still back about 2/3 of a cm (that is just where the click on the binding is).

I've done this on a variety of skis over the years. In different snow conditions I like different settings. A little forward for soft, a little back for firm. Its why I love the fact that there are now really good demo bindings like the aaatack 13 w/ little extra weight or height and very tight connection to the track.

Regardless, having you here to discuss these things, about your skis, is priceless. Thanks again.

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
That is a great answer. And thanks for being here for stuff like this.

I do feel however that there is some variation ski to ski. Like you, I am tall and not low mass. I have a tendency to power the tails of my skis more than the shovels (ha, not a millenial). I've found I often like the bindings back .5 to 1 cm also. But not always, and not on every ski. My rock skis are Monster 83s. I like em right on the line. My Z-90s feel a little vague entering a turn if I am on the line*. But move em one cm back and boom I can drive them as hard as I want and they just give back more than they receive.

*For the sake of clarity "on the line" for my z-90s is the 2nd generation line, ie the "philpug" line. I like them still back about 2/3 of a cm (that is just where the click on the binding is).

I've done this on a variety of skis over the years. In different snow conditions I like different settings. A little forward for soft, a little back for firm. Its why I love the fact that there are now really good demo bindings like the aaatack 13 w/ little extra weight or height and very tight connection to the track.

Regardless, having you here to discuss these things, about your skis, is priceless. Thanks again.
Yup! No problem :)
And yes, each ski will vary a little for sure. -1cm on one ski will feel a little different on one ski than another.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure!

Not really. I didn't decide that -2cm is the place for me. I was looking for some affirmation that that is the money spot ,to see what others are doing.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the response. So your factory line is the correct location for an average size skier (I assume male, so 5'10", 180 lbs). And if someone has a personal preference, then move forward or back from the line. That is where I thought you were coming from. From my own personal experience I would add: if you are larger than average, move back due to a larger boot size and if smaller than average with a smaller boot size, move forward of the line.

The way I interpret Graham's post is he is asking what the factory recommend mounting point is? I think the answer should have been "use the factory line" on this ski. He is coming from posts that your factory line on other skis is not the best starting point. I think there were posts about the proto Citadel that said 33" from the tail is the best mounting point for an "average size skier". I may be wrong, but I don't think Graham decided -2cm was good for him and he was actually asking where should the "average skier" mount position be on this particular ski. He was asking for confirmation that the posted number of 33" for this ski is still correct. And I think your answer for this production ski is "the factory line" is the best starting point, as there have been changes on the production ski as compared to the proto versions. He is mounting movable bindings and wants to know where to center the boot before moving forward or back.

Graham, was my interpretation of your first post correct?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is where demo bindings are useful. Move them around until you're happy. And many of the demo bindings give up very little to their counterparts. Unless weight is a big thing; they are heavier.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is where demo bindings are useful. Move them around until you're happy. And many of the demo bindings give up very little to their counterparts. Unless weight is a big thing; they are heavier.
Or high DIN. I do not believe, for example, that there is an Aaatack 16 demo (TTBMK).

Sponsor

Staff online