• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cyrus said this is the ski that he has wanted to build from the start. I am not sure why he waited other than he knew what he wanted to do yet didn't quite how to get there. Well, the Citadel 106 was definately worth the wait.
IMG_2635.JPG
I had a chance to get a couple of runs on these yesterday in conditions that they were not designed for, refrozen corduroy. What I can say at this point is they survived better than any other One-Oh-Something I have ever been on simply because of the HDT. These skis felt like they were just glued to the snow, a feeling of a connection that even the Z90 doesn't offer, the extra stringers of HDT was immediately felt...or on this case, not felt. The question always comes up with Renoun, "where should be be mounted?" I talked to @Brian Finch he has them mounted at 33 1/8" from the tail, I mounted ours 32 1/2". IMHO both are fine and I would not quibble that 33" might be the number.
IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2637.JPG
Is the ski light? Yes but not backcountry Nth degree weight weenie light, more taught efficient remove excess fat add lightness light. I will say that the carbon is not only felt but actually heard. There is a resinating sound carbon that immediately reminded me of the orginal Goode carbon skis but thes actaully ski well. The sound actuallly was only noticed on the firmest of condtions I skied. The on the snow feel really was nothing like any other ski in this class, but maybe the genetically enhanced love child of the powerful Käslte BMX105 HP and the lightness and ease of the DPS Alchemist Wailer 106 with a connection to the snow that neither of these skis have.
IMG_2638.JPG IMG_2639.JPG
Stay tuned for more as I get out on these when the snow softens up and and I can get the ski in the snow verses just on it.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait.........so are we saying that the Z90’s I just ordered need to be cancelled and just get these instead? <insert panic-buyer’s-remores emoji>

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wait.........so are we saying that the Z90’s I just ordered need to be cancelled and just get these instead? <insert panic-buyer’s-remores emoji>
No, this is not an either/or, it is a get both. These two would coexist perfectly in a two ski quiver.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Brian and Erik, what size boots do you wear?

I have 29.5 boots and find that -1 cm from factory line usually works best for me. I am close to putting a deposit on the 191cm length. I think you guys are on the 185cm, so it might not be apples to apples.

I’m a 25 & @Eric Edelstein is a 26.

Interesting I’ve found that in my Plug boots the mount matters lesser, dialing in my Dalbello Lupo’s is critical or the ability to steer is greatly compromised.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Brian and Erik, what size boots do you wear?

I have 29.5 boots and find that -1 cm from factory line usually works best for me. I am close to putting a deposit on the 191cm length. I think you guys are on the 185cm, so it might not be apples to apples.

I'm in a 26.5 (304mm bsl) boot. The 185 length for me (5'11" 195lbs right now) is great for Eastern trees and most trails...would definitely go with 191cm for western usage, high-speed terrain or heavier/taller skier or anyone who likes a longer ski....If I had to pick a size for me...I might go 191 because I was brought up on long skis and like the extra platform fore and aft....but in tight eastern trees, the 185 for me was ideal....but I would spend more time out of tight trees and on open trails 90% of the time without significant storm dumpings..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm in a 26.5 (304mm bsl) boot. The 185 length for me (5'11" 195lbs right now) is great for Eastern trees and most trails...would definitely go with 191cm for western usage, high-speed terrain or heavier/taller skier or anyone who likes a longer ski....If I had to pick a size for me...I might go 191 because I was brought up on long skis and like the extra platform fore and aft....but in tight eastern trees, the 185 for me was ideal....but I would spend more time out of tight trees and on open trails 90% of the time without significant storm dumpings..
I am the same size, 5'11" and 195lb but in a 293BSL but I felt at home on the 185, granted I need to get more time on it but I will see no reason that I would want the Citadel in a 191...it comes down the characteristics that you are looking for out of the ski.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Cyrus said this is the ski that he has wanted to build from the start. I am not sure why he waited other than he knew what he wanted to do yet didn't quite how to get there. Well, the Citadel 106 was definately worth the wait.
I had a chance to get a couple of runs on these yesterday in conditions that they were not designed for, refrozen corduroy. What I can say at this point is they survived better than any other One-Oh-Something I have ever been on simply because of the HDT. These skis felt like they were just glued to the snow, a feeling of a connection that even the Z90 doesn't offer, the extra stringers of HDT was immediately felt...or on this case, not felt.

I was there with Phil :) Heck, it was a flat light morning, too. Phil was on front-side Rossi's before and after. Those were more condition appropriate. What I could see as a layman, just observing him, and I do watch and learn from good skiers, is how, like he said, he was well connected to the snow. The turns were wider than with the Rossi's, and the edge angles lower, but he was still gripping to the ice. I was about the "snow connection" bit until we talked a bit about it. The idea is that the HDT makes the ski chatter a lot less on the hard snow and they stay on the snow a lot more, so you are more connected. Makes sense to me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I spent the afternoon at Squaw on the Citadels and they were solid. I did play with the mount point an bit and moved it up from the 32 1/2" from the tail to 33 1/2" and I think where @Brian Finch has it 33" is probably about right but not enough of a difference for me to feel I need to remount the bindings. The faster these went, the better they felt and the more connected they felt to the snow. It was amazing how these just ate up the spring muck and corn. I really cannot wait to try these in the conditions they were designed for.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I really like my Moment Deathwish in 190cm and when I demoed the Rustlers 10 in 188cm loved them too in that length. Ditto with the 2019 Salomon QST 106, the 188cm was money. I really like the length in chopped up powder which for better or worse is the type of powder one ends up skiing the most. Oddly enough the Enforcer 110's in 185cm were plenty, did not wish for a longer ski. The Rustler 11's in 192cm were a bit too much for general resort powder usage. Needed/wanted to go fast all the time on them.

Obviously how the Citadel 106's compare to these skis I have no clue. I mean there isnt that much difference between 185 and 191unless Renoun changes other dimensions as well besides the length (like in the Rustlers)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The faster these went, the better they felt and the more connected they felt to the snow. It was amazing how these just ate up the spring muck and corn. I really cannot wait to try these in the conditions they were designed for.

What exactly are the conditions they were designed for? I would think spring corn would fit the bill. I was hoping they were a versatile, wide, all mountain ski. Kind of like the Bones only lighter and more versatile. Another ski that comes to mind is the Liberty Helix, which is 105 underfoot. Are they more of a powder ski with some hard snow versatility?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What exactly are the conditions they were designed for? I would think spring corn would fit the bill. I was hoping they were a versatile, wide, all mountain ski. Kind of like the Bones only lighter and more versatile. Another ski that comes to mind is the Liberty Helix, which is 105 underfoot. Are they more of a powder ski with some hard snow versatility?
3D snow, powder and windbuff is what I envision their goal in life.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug was generous enough to bring these over to Squaw Valley for a good afternoon of testing today, so — while I'm relatively new to both the carbon and one-oh-something categories (I only own 110+ for powder and 100- for everything else) — I'll do my best to provide some impressions.

These definitely took a little getting used to after starting the day on Head Rallys and switching to the new Endurance 98s mid-morning, but considering the mix of frozen granular, corn, and a few drifts of heavy overnight powder (~1/4" blown into troughs and piles by heavy wind), I'd say the Citadels did very well. The sound the carbon construction makes on any bit of frozen snow was certainly a little unsettling, especially coupled with the extra width (which required a little more… active… management in the heavy afternoon snow). However, even with the 106mm waist and carbon construction, these skis remain glued to the snow at speed.

The only issue I had with these skis in the conditions I had to test them was a slight tendency to hook up in the bumps and edge-to-edge transitions a little longer than I'd prefer. For a 185cm, 106mm waist ski, I can't really blame them, and I think a skier who's a little more hard charging than myself might have had less of an issue here. (While the skis were certainly maneuverable at lower speeds, they did seem to open up once I got going a little faster. I certainly didn't hit their upper end.) All that said, by the last run of the day, I was jumping off the edge of cat tracks into slightly crusty, un-groomed snow and really enjoying some slightly unruly moguls above Mountain Run, so I'm sure some of this is just a matter of perspective and getting used to the dimensions.

For me, I think these skis would be great for powder / packed powder, but for the conditions of the day, I'd probably take an Endurance 98. I'd also love to try these side by side with the DPS Alchemist Wailer 106.