• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you all want a light ski there is another brand of fully carbon skis on the market

They are C6 skis ,hand built in small numbers in Raetihi in the North Island of New Zealand by a local skiing fanatic who used to make all sorts of carbon masts and hulls for racing and Americas ( Who's got it now) Cup yachts

These may be hard to get in the States but they are very well regarded over here and sell in reasonable numbers given the size of the NZ market
I don,t believe that Craig has looked into the overseas market yet. Maybe someone can get in touch.

Check out some of the stats

The Bones 180 cm 144-120-143 1600 gms
Mercury 168 cm 129-78-133 1170 gms
The Apollo 177 cm 125-89-113 1350 gms
The Vanquish 177 cm 123-65-101 1250 gms
The Judge 170 cm 134-105-127 1450 gms

These skis are all seriously light but still have huge torsional strength
We took 4 pairs to Canada this year and loved them all
No chatter or flapping around at any speed and we ski pretty fast when conditions allow

Heres a quick rundown on some of his skis (taken off his website)

The Bones is C6's POWDER SMASHING dream machine. Super wide under foot with traditional powder rocker profile and a slightly tighter turn radius than a conventional powder skis to give good edge hold when you need it.

The Mercury is our proud Piste machine. The ski has slightly rockered tip and with a cambered main body through to the tail. this ski will give you great stability on the groomers and can handle what ever you have to throw at it.

The Apollo is the versatile all-mountain ski that is designed to thrive in all parts of the mountain. The ACCP construction enables the ski to be incredibly light while maintaining unparalleled torsional stiffness. On piste this ski will hold a rock solid edge and carve hard and smooth. Off piste the rockered ends and wide fronts will help you charge through the pow, and makes easy work of the sludge at the end of the day. The rocker at both ends also enables extra playfulness in the park, making it more manoeuvrable. Whether your doing switch 9's in the park or styled out 3's in the back country, the minimal swing weight will multiply your control. If you are looking for a ski that will take you anywhere on the mountain then you cant go past the Apollo.

The Vanquish SL is C6's progressive Slalom ski. With ACCP, End Grain Core, and Green Flex technologies, the Vanquish has unrivalled edge grip, and superb stability through the course.

The Judge is C6's ultimate free riding apparatus. With a solid 105 width underfoot this ski gives you plenty of surface area for a stable platform when dropping off piste. With a rockered tip and tail system with slight camber underfoot this ski still provides stability at speed without sacrificing its performance in the back country. The slick tapered nose and tail shape helps to initiate the edge in the turn.

Just saying...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
  • 1744g
  • 1721g
  • 182cm straight tape pull tip-to-tail
If these are actual weighed numbers they're about 200g less than what I got as weight. I'm curious now to what caused the discrepancy, not that it would make a big difference to me. I ride the lift.:D

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now that's really something for a 106mm ski.
I can hear the "what's the factory bevel" questions already coming.

Rly - that jumped off the page and grabbed my by the lower lip. I got lots of resistance when I specified a 0.7 base bevel on my Z-90s - 0.5 on a 106 will possibly get you run out of town.

Given the engineering thread regarding how the HDT reacts to truly hard snow, I'm very curious to see what the Citadel does there.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad to hear the weights came in under the Endurance 98's and Cyrus did not put any "spin" on the marketing blab. As a fellow engineer, Cyrus didn't seem like the type to not be straight forward with his claims. He potentially has the future direction of ski design in his control and I hope things work out well for him. I am now considering putting my $$ where my mouth (or typing fingers) are and signing up for a pair of Citadels. Cyrus is 6'6" and I am 6'4", so we probably fit the same size ski. He claims this is the ski that is sized perfectly for someone his size. (191 cm) It also comes in shorter lengths for all those "short" people in the world
:P:crash:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If these are actual weighed numbers they're about 200g less than what I got as weight. I'm curious now to what caused the discrepancy, not that it would make a big difference to me. I ride the lift.:D

Maybe it was from a handwritten note. I know people whose "7" and "9" are hard to tell apart.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
He potentially has the future direction of ski design in his control and I hope things work out well for him.

I know it's going off-topic but that's a whole other subject - best engineering doesn't always win out in consumer markets. At the moment Renoun are very small fish in the pond even if their fans are very nerdy and seriously invested in skiing. Before he is actually a threat to big boys there is the whole nightmare of retail distribution, internationalisation etc to navigate. Alternately taking $20 royalty off every pair of skis manufactured in the world might be attractive or dozens of other permutations.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Eric Edelstein & ExoticSkis have the 185 & I’m getting em later this week!!! :golfclap:

I ordered up some 191’s today - the WhiteDot Ranger CarbonLite 108 is my hands down favorite carbon ski, yet it’s getting whooped out . I’m hoping the new Renoun dethrones em!

So @Brian Finch , I have to ask, how does the WhiteDot Ranger CarbonLite 108 compare to the V-Werks Katana, my own standard for evaluating a fatter carbon ski, if you or someone else happens to have been on both skis?

To me this fits the thread because we have to compare the Citadel to the best we know, and for me it will be, "How does this Citadel compare to the 184 & 191 Volkl V-Werks Katana 112?" (Just as for others the new DPS Alchemist Wailer 106 might be the standard.)

It sounds like those WhiteDot Carbonlites should be in the mix for others also.

Last edited:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
AFCA1441-B65F-4367-97F5-58DD0133ED56.jpeg

Thinking of racing em in GS this weekend :D

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
From Renoun’s website:

“THE MOST STABLE FULL-CARBON SKI. EVER.”

“The Citadel 106 has been a vision of ours since the inception of RENOUN. Wider, lighter, carbon fiber. More HDT, less chatter. Everything you need to build a super ski unlike any other. After 3 years of R&D - Research & Dreaming, we’ve made it a reality.”

I don’t think the focus is just on light weight, but on what HDT does, that other primarily carbon skis on the market don’t.
correct - we're not looking to make the lightest ski out there (we clearly are already got smoked by DPS) but that's OK with us. We wanted to make a ski that's light(ish) that you can still ski hard on the way down. Slap some SHIFTS on these badboys and.....

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
If you all want a light ski there is another brand of fully carbon skis on the market

They are C6 skis ,hand built in small numbers in Raetihi in the North Island of New Zealand by a local skiing fanatic who used to make all sorts of carbon masts and hulls for racing and Americas ( Who's got it now) Cup yachts

These may be hard to get in the States but they are very well regarded over here and sell in reasonable numbers given the size of the NZ market
I don,t believe that Craig has looked into the overseas market yet. Maybe someone can get in touch.

Check out some of the stats

The Bones 180 cm 144-120-143 1600 gms
Mercury 168 cm 129-78-133 1170 gms
The Apollo 177 cm 125-89-113 1350 gms
The Vanquish 177 cm 123-65-101 1250 gms
The Judge 170 cm 134-105-127 1450 gms

These skis are all seriously light but still have huge torsional strength
We took 4 pairs to Canada this year and loved them all
No chatter or flapping around at any speed and we ski pretty fast when conditions allow

Heres a quick rundown on some of his skis (taken off his website)

The Bones is C6's POWDER SMASHING dream machine. Super wide under foot with traditional powder rocker profile and a slightly tighter turn radius than a conventional powder skis to give good edge hold when you need it.

The Mercury is our proud Piste machine. The ski has slightly rockered tip and with a cambered main body through to the tail. this ski will give you great stability on the groomers and can handle what ever you have to throw at it.

The Apollo is the versatile all-mountain ski that is designed to thrive in all parts of the mountain. The ACCP construction enables the ski to be incredibly light while maintaining unparalleled torsional stiffness. On piste this ski will hold a rock solid edge and carve hard and smooth. Off piste the rockered ends and wide fronts will help you charge through the pow, and makes easy work of the sludge at the end of the day. The rocker at both ends also enables extra playfulness in the park, making it more manoeuvrable. Whether your doing switch 9's in the park or styled out 3's in the back country, the minimal swing weight will multiply your control. If you are looking for a ski that will take you anywhere on the mountain then you cant go past the Apollo.

The Vanquish SL is C6's progressive Slalom ski. With ACCP, End Grain Core, and Green Flex technologies, the Vanquish has unrivalled edge grip, and superb stability through the course.

The Judge is C6's ultimate free riding apparatus. With a solid 105 width underfoot this ski gives you plenty of surface area for a stable platform when dropping off piste. With a rockered tip and tail system with slight camber underfoot this ski still provides stability at speed without sacrificing its performance in the back country. The slick tapered nose and tail shape helps to initiate the edge in the turn.

Just saying...
Just looked these up - amazing skis. If you're looking for a super light ski, get these!! the citadels aren't even going to come close on the scales. . .

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
I know it's going off-topic but that's a whole other subject - best engineering doesn't always win out in consumer markets. At the moment Renoun are very small fish in the pond even if their fans are very nerdy and seriously invested in skiing. Before he is actually a threat to big boys there is the whole nightmare of retail distribution, internationalisation etc to navigate. Alternately taking $20 royalty off every pair of skis manufactured in the world might be attractive or dozens of other permutations.
yes