• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There was one thread based around one original post that would appear almost annually; It was based around the Zen of skiing. It spoke about so many things in skiing that touched the soul. The photos, and the statements were GREAT! Have asked several times here about it.

If anybody has access to it please post it or send it to me. Would really like to print it up and make a coffee table book out of it, would make summer a lot better.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I first started reading Epicski in early 2016 and joined that spring. I found that site when I was researching boot fitting. Then I was drawn into the instruction forum with the idea I could learn to ski better, and I think that site (and now this one) have helped me in that goal. The background info here (and there) are not a replacement for lessons, but have helped my technique for much less $$ and more importantly, less time. In lessons, I can also understand more of what instructors are talking about in lessons and can talk to them in their language. So the lessons I do take now are much more efficient.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There was one thread based around one original post that would appear almost annually; It was based around the Zen of skiing. It spoke about so many things in skiing that touched the soul. The photos, and the statements were GREAT! Have asked several times here about it.

If anybody has access to it please post it or send it to me. Would really like to print it up and make a coffee table book out of it, would make summer a lot better.
Was that the thread by Tyrone Shoelaces?
That was incredible.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
There was a flurry of downloading activity done before the site went down. Someone has it for sure. dchan perhaps?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Believe so Tricia. Lots of European and high alpine photos. The verbiage was almost haikyuu poetry, It absolutely touched the soul.
I think the title was something like Pow Tzu. You're right, it was very zen.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I always wonder if "Tai Chi Skiing" was a spoof? Sneakers? Really? ;-)

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Tai Chi thing is not what I'm speaking of. @CalG I share your question on those; not really what I aspire to.

@skibob tried using your link to search for it, but user error got in the way. That one is a few levels above my skills.

These were a series very well done still photographs (taken in what looks to be the alpine of the Alps) with a few lines of descriptive poetry describing the experience or attitude of experiencing them. It spoke in a very euthural way about our sport and its environment.

Someday, perhaps in the next life, I will find it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Towards the end, we did seriously consider the making an offer to Vail for the content..through a third party because we were pretty confident they would not sell it to us. IF we did purchase it it would have been set up as a viewable archive, searchable but no longer able to reply. We were quick to realize the costs woudl have been prohibitive once we looked at removing/replacing "Epic", which would have been their requirement then migrating it from Huddler, which is a propriatry platform to Xenforo and then cleaning out the noise and contest that was irrelevant and dated plus what Vail would consider as a value to sell, it just did not make financial sense.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
sent a PM, but turns out it wasn't what you're looking for...

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember the unending thread: ThreeChordCool and a possible trip out west.

James

Out There
Instructor
^^^
Not that it matters, but It was TwoChordCool ...
That thread had amazing detail on different ski area trails and areas in general. People could rattle off more names than probably roads in their hometown. Impressive.
In the end, Steamboat was not much of an upgrade from Whiteface. I mean they call it "IceFace" for a reason. So, the answer to "Should an Intermediate Go West?" was 'no' for that one.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Not that it matters, but It was TwoChordCool ...
Ai-yi-yi!! Senioritis means even memories ain't what they used ta be!

JHust

Putting on skis
Skier

https://web.archive.org/web/2012010...-in-northern-pennsylvania-by-tyrone-shoelaces

I don't think this is what you are looking for but it is a great article written by Tyrone Shoelaces

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
I remember the photos of Tyrone free skiing (at Squaw?) the 240cm speed skis that had like 7 sheets of metal. He took them in a chute!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That thread had amazing detail on different ski area trails and areas in general. People could rattle off more names than probably roads in their hometown. Impressive.
In the end, Steamboat was not much of an upgrade from Whiteface. I mean they call it "IceFace" for a reason. So, the answer to "Should an Intermediate Go West?" was 'no' for that one.
Having skied with him, that makes sense. He was a master of the diagonal skid.
You know, skid down the fall line with your skis held at an angle. Periodically flip them so they are diagonal the other way, continue straight down the fall line, and think youv'e made a turn.

Real snow would just interfere with that.

Sponsor

Staff online