• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the second forum shutdown I've been through in the last year. A few months ago a cooking forum that brought me many good friends (one of whom many of you have met and who may make an appearance at Abasin on the 11th) was shut down by a corporate behemoth. Most of us had moved on to another platform (sound familiar?) but still mourned the loss of that history and content. I mean, I'll never be able to go back and read that "Other Stuff" thread about waxing the hamster again! Oddly, another friend from that site has very generously gifted to me (us) 9 jars of small batch Bloody Mary mix for Abasin's May 12th celebrations.

Wow, that's early quite the tale of intertwining forum originated friendships. I remember a time when friends and family used to think I was nutso for having these relationships.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Don't you mean, "heather"? No one actually ever confirmed she was a real person.

OK, snark aside, I have mixed feelings. Like many, I am sad for the loss of valuable archived information. And the humor: frankly I will miss having the opportunity to go back and view, as I did within the last year, threads such as: "Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out west ?!" Or Red helmet/grey helmet.

Just copy those two threads right there and you have a treasure trove of trivial and often absurd entertainment, as well as some incredibly useful information. Rare combinations.

Sorry, still snarking....

That all said, I am perfectly happy to focus my online time on one website rather than two, and I've spent most of my time at Pug over Epic in the last 2 years. Not really too nostalgic or feeling the loss. Biggest issue is the Epic stickers still on my car roof box and on one or two of my skis.

you forgot to add the one "my prius has a switch that gives it 5000 HP and I can hang a hundred different carriers on it and it still gives me a zillion miles per gallon"....:doh:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe we should have a New Orleans - style funeral parade for Epicski. Starts out all somber and sad, turns into a big jazzy street party. Sad over the passing, happy about the fact it was there, and for what comes next.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You know I actually first got a Supporter membership in 2009 because I kept seeing references to the thread killer thread and really wanted to know what it was. That stupid thread is what got me into EpicSki really.
That's sad.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the second forum shutdown I've been through in the last year. A few months ago a cooking forum that brought me many good friends (one of whom many of you have met and who may make an appearance at Abasin on the 11th) was shut down by a corporate behemoth. Most of us had moved on to another platform (sound familiar?) but still mourned the loss of that history and content. I mean, I'll never be able to go back and read that "Other Stuff" thread about waxing the hamster again! Oddly, another friend from that site has very generously gifted to me (us) 9 jars of small batch Bloody Mary mix for Abasin's May 12th celebrations.

Wow, that's early quite the tale of intertwining forum originated friendships. I remember a time when friends and family used to think I was nutso for having these relationships.

Hmmm, maybe P&T should close your account here before thes things come in 3s! :roflmao:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the second forum shutdown I've been through in the last year. A few months ago a cooking forum that brought me many good friends...I mean, I'll never be able to go back and read that "Other Stuff" thread about waxing the hamster again!

Damn, you don't know how sorry I am that I'll never be able to read about waxing the hamster!

Tyler Wenzel

(tylrwnzl on the former EpicSki)
Skier

Don't you mean, "heather"? No one actually ever confirmed she was a real person.

OK, snark aside, I have mixed feelings. Like many, I am sad for the loss of valuable archived information. And the humor: frankly I will miss having the opportunity to go back and view, as I did within the last year, threads such as: "Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out west ?!" Or Red helmet/grey helmet.

Just copy those two threads right there and you have a treasure trove of trivial and often absurd entertainment, as well as some incredibly useful information. Rare combinations.

Sorry, still snarking....

That all said, I am perfectly happy to focus my online time on one website rather than two, and I've spent most of my time at Pug over Epic in the last 2 years. Not really too nostalgic or feeling the loss. Biggest issue is the Epic stickers still on my car roof box and on one or two of my skis.

I say this as a no longer contracted by MNC person, Heather doesn't deserve any bashing. MNC has like 7 levels of corporate hierarchy near as I can tell. I only directly worked with Heather. She only found out a few minutes before she called me. I think it was another few levels up the chain from her where this decision was made.

Be mad at Vail or the C levels of MNC, but this wasn't Heather's fault.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If it wasn't for Epic, I wouldn't be part of this. For that I will forever be grateful.

One simple ski search years ago changed my life by giving me some of my most treasured friends and memories. My wallet and liver have suffered, however...

Tyler Wenzel

(tylrwnzl on the former EpicSki)
Skier
Of course you are @Tyler Wenzel as long as you aren't wearing a dirtybirds sweater :-P I don't have any animosity for Heather either. She was just doing her job and protecting her livelihood just like we all have to. From time to time that involves being a messenger of unpopular stuff. Just look at Shouty Spice! He's actually a pretty bright guy, graduated Army War College, works at The Pentagon as his day job and Army Reserve duties. No clue how he ended up being Trump's White House Tool, but that has to be the worst job in the world LOL!

I wear it proud.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
you forgot to add the one "my prius has a switch that gives it 5000 HP and I can hang a hundred different carriers on it and it still gives me a zillion miles per gallon"....:doh:
Dude, you just made me spew bourbon out my nose. That's a good waste of bourbon.
@48North you should appreciate this.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I say this as a no longer contracted by MNC person, Heather doesn't deserve any bashing. MNC has like 7 levels of corporate hierarchy near as I can tell. I only directly worked with Heather. She only found out a few minutes before she called me. I think it was another few levels up the chain from her where this decision was made.

Be mad at Vail or the C levels of MNC, but this wasn't Heather's fault.

Well, maybe Heather can sign up here and actually participate. Maybe show up at Gatherings.

Sponsor

Staff online