• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@Jacques I have always been a fan! I've watched & enjoyed many of your videos. I would just like to be able to watch the whole thing... Beginning, middle & end. Maybe an edited version for embedding with a link to the full length for those interested would be a solution. Give us a quick taste with access to the full story if we want.
Same with the weather forecaster, give us a synopsis with a link to the charts, models & graphs.
I'm sure I watched one of your tuning videos from start to finish but I know it wasn't 5 hours.
You're out there everyday for all the right reasons!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I just don't understand. He's entitled to express himself in any length he wants.

I'm appalled that he is being told how to act. He's a very friendly man, who never gets mad, and I've seen people give him reason to, but he doesn't.

How is his behavior something that moderation should even be discussed about?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just don't understand. He's entitled to express himself in any length he wants.

I'm appalled that he is being told how to act. He's a very friendly man, who never gets mad, and I've seen people give him reason to, but he doesn't.

How is his behavior something that moderation should even be discussed about?]
/QUOTE]

because...

Here lies the disconnect, this is not Epic, it is not Epic 2.0..it is not TGR, Newschoolers or any other site. this is Pugski. Each site has it's own vibe and guidlelines and these are ours.[/QUOTE

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Is he?

I'm appalled that he is being told how to act.

Is he?

Is it?

I'm not so sure about any of that. Rule 1a

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Well it looks like we're having some growing pains... Inevitable, really.

I don't mind Jacques' videos, they aren't too long if you don't click on them, and if you do there's always a hidden gem somewhere around 19 minutes in! If there was a sliding scale of how annoying a member is compared to their entertainment / educational value Jacques wouldn't make my list of ne'er do wells at all. But this site seems to put a premium on usable information and doesn't value "characters" as much. I get that and tone down my own eccentricities even more than I used to over at Epic.
Thanks for not minding!

@LiquidFeet I have always put you into the highest category when it comes to usable information vs noise. I really appreciate not just your knowledge base but the way you go about presenting your ideas and even your word choices. I hope to see you continue your excellent commentary in the future.

@Jacques maybe you should view this as a personal challenge instead of a personal insult. Editing is everything in video - it's easy to just turn the camera on and mail in the results. It's a lot harder to come up with something significant to say and communicate it effectively. I'm guessing that what people object to in your "work" is that it seems to be more about what floats your boat and not what an audience can use or enjoy. In any case posting video on the internet is always going to be subject to criticism. Your audience has changed and you should adapt to the changes.

I hope you stay - I like you.
I will hand out a while, but it's sad that new rules seem to have been made about me and my style.

This site is different.......still can't figure. I was trying to quote several post, but not seeing them.

Jacques

Skier
Many people here congratulate themselves for making a site that's better than EpicSki was.
Given what's just happened in this thread to Jacques, I'm seriously wondering about that.
Jacques never ever ever puts anyone else down. He does not argue endlessly with people.
He makes long videos. He posts them, sometimes repeatedly. Some videos are instructional,
some are of him in onesies and skiing.

This ski forum has no tolerance of that?
Shame on you.

Thanks for your support. I believe I have said my piece above.

Many people here congratulate themselves for making a site that's better than EpicSki was.
Given what's just happened in this thread to Jacques, I'm seriously wondering about that.
Jacques never ever ever puts anyone else down. He does not argue endlessly with people.
He makes long videos. He posts them, sometimes repeatedly. Some videos are instructional,
some are of him in onesies and skiing.

This ski forum has no tolerance of that?
Shame on you.

Jacques, hope you will reconsider and stay active here. As BobMc said, you have the fever that we all want to catch!

Thanks JIm!

Well it looks like we're having some growing pains... Inevitable, really.

I don't mind Jacques' videos, they aren't too long if you don't click on them, and if you do there's always a hidden gem somewhere around 19 minutes in! If there was a sliding scale of how annoying a member is compared to their entertainment / educational value Jacques wouldn't make my list of ne'er do wells at all. But this site seems to put a premium on usable information and doesn't value "characters" as much. I get that and tone down my own eccentricities even more than I used to over at Epic.

@LiquidFeet I have always put you into the highest category when it comes to usable information vs noise. I really appreciate not just your knowledge base but the way you go about presenting your ideas and even your word choices. I hope to see you continue your excellent commentary in the future.

@Jacques maybe you should view this as a personal challenge instead of a personal insult. Editing is everything in video - it's easy to just turn the camera on and mail in the results. It's a lot harder to come up with something significant to say and communicate it effectively. I'm guessing that what people object to in your "work" is that it seems to be more about what floats your boat and not what an audience can use or enjoy. In any case posting video on the internet is always going to be subject to criticism. Your audience has changed and you should adapt to the changes.

I hope you stay - I like you.

I make my videos exactly the way I like them. Some like and some don't. I get that, but I won't change my style when it comes to my video work.
That's what set me apart.

Anyway if you can't tell I'm having a huge learning curve with this site and how it works.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another memory jogged by the synchronized MA thread.
Synchronized mogul skiing at Saddleback during the 2014 Eastern Gathering.
ski_sync1.jpeg ski_sync2.jpeg ski_sync3.jpeg ski_sync4.jpeg

skiers are kevinf and me, photos by Tony S

Last edited:

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It's not about you. Never were in the Milatary were you. Quit whining.

I didn't realize this place was the milatary (sic). Dude seems to have more stoke than most and people have a problem with videos they don't need to watch and can scroll past. It ain't like he's hosting them here and taking bandwidth, he's linking skiing content. Whether it's your cup of tea to click on is your own choice.

I understand it's Phil and Tricia's site I just thought it was about skiing.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm appalled that he is being told how to act.
Is he?
Is it?

I'm not so sure about any of that. Rule 1a

As far as I'm concerned, yes, he's absolutely being told how to act and moderation is being discussed. IMO, this is explicit and unequivocal:

@Jacques, looks like we are getting a consensus on your videos.....(your) videos longer than 2 minutes are not admissible to the forum.

Whether that's the right approach for this forum to take or not (which isn't my decision to make), there's no way for him to misinterpret this statement.

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
All I want to do is have some fun. I got a feeling I might be the only one!

I can't think of the term used now, but it's when people in a crowd go crazy about something. The crowd mentality?
Kinda' like when Hitler took over Germany. People got on the wagon then. If they did not they were shunned or worse.
I read the rules for this site. I did not violate any of them to the best of my knowledge.

Ah but the caveat : "By registering, you are agreeing to the Terms of Service, which is a living document and may change without notice as becomes necessary."

I think the rules need to be posted as to the restrictions on videos embedded over a certain length. Otherwise people will get chapped. I have not gone through the Video and Stoke threads, but I'll assume there must be videos plenty long up in there. Then again we all know what assume means.

1. Don't be an ass.
1a. Being overly sensitive is also being an ass.
2. P&T have sole determination over who is being an ass.

Hmmm, why I'm I thinking about that guy that runs North Korea now? I am glad I live in the USA as screwed up as it is. Way better than North Korea or Libya.
Hey, I did not make this into a video..........yet.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, this stuff is getting to sound like epic. :nono:

From what I can see, most of the post poking fun at the video are in jest. It's just the vibe of the site. Folks here ain't that serious. Insults, jokes and barbs get slink across all day long. So lighten up and exercise your sense of humor.

I can definitely see Phil saying the video is not admissible with a huge Cheshire cat grin on his face. Sometime you just have to know these folks in the real world, then everything makes more sense.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
From what I can see, most of the post poking fun at the video are in jest. It's just the vibe of the site. Folks here ain't that serious. Insults, jokes and barbs get slink across all day long. So lighten up and exercise your sense of humor.

I can definitely see Phil saying the video is not admissible with a huge Cheshire cat grin on his face. Sometime you just have to know these folks in the real world, then everything makes more sense.

Even though you didn't quote me, that appeared to be directed at me so I'll respond. Do you want this to be a welcoming, inclusive site? Or one that only feels welcoming if you're part of the club, you know the people personally, and know what they really mean? From the perspective of someone who hasn't met anyone here in person, most of it did not come across as joking.

If everyone was joking, let's drop this whole thing and go back to either clinging to the last shreds of winter, pining for next winter, or anxiously awaiting winter... depending on where you are in the world.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even though you didn't quote me, that appeared to be directed at me so I'll respond. Do you want this to be a welcoming, inclusive site? Or one that only feels welcoming if you're part of the club, you know the people personally, and know what they really mean? From the perspective of someone who hasn't met anyone here in person, most of it did not come across as joking.

If everyone was joking, let's drop this whole thing and go back to either clinging to the last shreds of winter, pining for next winter, or anxiously awaiting winter... depending on where you are in the world.
Joking or not joking, Jaques was given some simple critique about his videos that is similar to critique he was given on EpicSki about his videos.
Some like his work, others don't. His response was overly sensitive, much like his response to similar experiences on Epic.
Things are not unwelcoming here, but the membership has had a bit of an emotional roller coaster in the past few weeks and we all need to take a step back
All in all, things tend to be simple here.
Know your audience. This may or may not be the audience for Jaques videos, but this thread is about saying good bye to an old friend (Epic).

Feelings will likely be a little raw the next few days. Lets keep this in mind and show a little extra care toward one another, but also remember this is not a reincarnation of EpicSki.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
This may or may not be the audience for Jaques videos, but this thread is about saying good bye to an old friend (Epic).

Fair enough, my contribution to this thread tonight has been off topic, I'm happy to let it go. Perhaps it's a discussion for another thread at another time.

Feelings will likely be a little raw the next few days. Lets keep this in mind and show a little extra care toward one another, but also remember this is not a reincarnation of EpicSki.

I agree, and I don't personally expect it to be. With the loss of EpicSki, though, there is going to continue to be an influx of new people wondering what this place is exactly. And most likely, the answer remains to be seen. As this site grows, it too will continue to evolve.

Sponsor

Staff online