• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does a woman's ski need a unique name or is the unisex name with W good enough?

• A unique name is better

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Unisex model name with W is fine

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What about the Birdie suffix of Black Crows and Motion of Stockli? It seems to be the best of both worlds.
That falls into the same line as the "my" for the Fischer Ranger.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really? I like the Legend graphics, even more than the current one.
When I look at those skis next to each other I see Men's Skis and small Men's Skis. When I look at the Rossis I see Men's Skis and Women's Skis.

I don't necessarily dislike the design but they very much remind me of over testosteroned 80's hair metal bands.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If it truly is a ski designed for women, then I would prefer a different name. By this I mean, in someway designed to be skied by women and not just by a lighter skier. If it is the identical ski but shorter and with different graphics .... than why bother at all? Just make a good looking ski in a range of sizes. As for graphics ... I think that is a matter of taste and one person's definition of art is another's ......

I would add that if you want to sell to women as a general category, it's probably best to avoid naked lady graphics!

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to the sentiment expressed by @cantunamunch and @socalgal - if the ski is really different, it should have a different name. The Black Pearl might have the same waist as a Brahma, but it isn't the women's version of the Brahma. A women's version of the Brahma is the Brahma in 166.

As for the question about the Ranger, it took me literally years to get that the "My" was for women. And then I thought it was weird - kind of like how kids' toys are called things like "My First Kitchen" or "My First Toolbox" - a little cheap playset that doesn't actually work. "My" isn't terrible, but I think there are more unique/easier ways to speak to the female customer. I also forgot to mention - the Armada Victa/Invictus and Trace/Tracer are easy ways to pick up on the gender difference instead of just adding the "W".

Also, many thanks @Tricia for keeping this chicks only!

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
That falls into the same line as the "my" for the Fischer Ranger.

I think I'm less of a fan of that style than the different name or the W version. I like the Birdie thing because it fits BC's overall branding & it's been around long enough to be recognizable, but slapping a random word on similar topsheets just seems confusing? Also...... too late now, but "My Ranger" sounds suspiciously like kids' toy branding.

ETA: Jinx

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the slightly modified names (e.g. Armada's skis). "My" is a little weird...I agree with the above sentiment that it reminds me of children's toys. Adding a "W" is okay, but unoriginal. Same name...that's fine. Completely different names...that's fine too. I can't believe that K2 is still using "Luv".

For the graphics posted above. The Rangers are...undecided, I think I like them, but they're fairly underwhelming. The Legends, I don't like the giant "Legend", good color scheme (could use a bit more color though)...huge step up from this year's, so I'll give them that. Sorry, Rossignol seems to have missed the mark completely, IMO.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Liz and I talk about ski gear way too much....and window-shop during downtime.

Liz generally buys the men's (I can hear her correcting me)....errrr unisex ski.

She's 170 cm tall, so although she is light, there is a wide range of UNISEX skis that work for her.

Her resort skis are the Black Crow Camox (not the Birdie) and the Moment Wildcat.

She isn't that attracted to a lot of the branding and artwork on many lady's skis.

She does likes the branding/artwork on the lady's moments (the sierra especially)

https://www.momentskis.com/products/sierra

I'm sure there are other women's skis that she would like too.

She has echoed some of @Analisa 's comment's.

"What I hate is really infantilized names and topsheets for women. I've said it in another thread and I've mentioned it to a friend who's on the K2 Alliance, but I really, really hate the Luv line. Luvs are diapers. Going to a ski shop to try on a pair of Luvs? Better hope they know you mean the ski boot. FulLUVit? You call someone "full of it" when they're not credible or overconfident. Weird thing to name a ski. Weird message for women. "

I guess I can't answer your question without talking to her (hooray for work breaks), but I know she ins't attracted to branding that make a lady's ski look less substantial or serious than the unisex version. Whether that means a new name or a W, I'm not sure...but i guess it matters less if you just grab the unisex version.

Her choices speak to her perception of how the industry markets women's gear.

EDIT: She told me she doesn't mind if it is the same name with W.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Instead of W why not L. I think it was Salomon did that a few years ago. Because the graphic wasn't too girlie either, we actually sold some to (L) light guys! I have a hard time with the different names for basically the same ski.

Those graphics are fine with me. But then I ski an orange and black ski right now.
Yes, I agree with this. Stop thinking women and think lighter skier. That way smaller men could buy the ski that is most appropriate for their size and weight and not have a complex about it.

Of course, I've never owned a woman's ski.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Alsacia says the Rangers are "purdy" and she likes the grey one the best. You barely even see the "My" it's pretty much just Ranger.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Tricia you do realize that all of the women who are active on this board are statistically different from the average "woman who skies". For the most part we are female skiers, so you still are not really going to get the information they are looking for................

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It depends on who the marketer wants to target. As long as something doesn't offend me, I'll try it if it's in my size.

I hated the mudflap stylized Victory silhouette but still bought them because the skis worked. I didn't even demo the VJJ because I was offended by the name. The luvs skied well as a line, but I thought the name was silly and preferred that they were the T:9 line; same with the various Hart puns -- I thought they were corny, and I'm pretty sure I told you guys that during a focus group. I'd love a set of Sego's UP skis with rainbows and unicorns and have no idea what the unisex equivalent of them are. I'm glad that I have the cloud version of the Kenja. I skied Po2oons a few weeks ago and didn't die, so I feel like saying that gives me some unisex street cred or something. I want to try the 108Ws.

Does this help? :)

Last edited:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What if the name of the unisex ski is quite masculine, as noted with the Fischer Ranger?

They figured this out in Texas a long time ago.

1960998_666856410079722_3757234662933835585_o.jpg

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgore_College_Rangerettes]

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1. I like L better than W.
2. I hate "My."
3. I do like fewer names for things, and not having to do the "The Barbie is the same exact ski as the Ken. Except sometimes it has less metal, or not. Or, it did one year but not the next. Although, I don't remember which of those years, precisely. But otherwise it's the exact same!"

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, I agree with this. Stop thinking women and think lighter skier. That way smaller men could buy the ski that is most appropriate for their size and weight and not have a complex about it.

Of course, I've never owned a woman's ski.

Or they could... not have a complex about it? Sometimes the models are the exact same, and guy friends insist on paying up to $200 more for slightly manlier colors. I have a guy friend who is checking out a 174 QST99 for touring, while the Lumen was so much cheaper. Same ski under the hood and still blue. Wouldn't bite. I don't even think that it's the colors, just the attitude that women's skis = sissy skis. Black Crows used pink on the Corvus & completely pink for the Freebird and I think it really works for them. There's not a lot a lot of pink in men's skis, so it stands out, and the fact that they're also the burliest ski in their lineup creates a fair amount of street cred.

Sponsor

Staff online