• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rehab Redux- Moots Routt project

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
BTW- here's what a wide internal (25mm) and external (31mm) rim does for a 32mm tire (which is sitting at 35mm now). Awesome profile that makes this tire almost aero

fullsizeoutput_5f3.jpeg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
LOL, I'm not a big Shimano fan but it would be nice to run a 48/32 with 11-32. which I can with Absolute black CR's

If there's only one thing that Shimano makes better than anyone else, it's cranks.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If there's only one thing that Shimano makes better than anyone else, it's cranks.

seriously X2. Even as someone partial to SRAM stuff their cranks are great. I hate the idea of carbon cranks on a MTB due to rock strikes and SLX cranks are silly light and fairly cheap.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
hey looking for some collective wisdom here. I was going to move over my etap red from the roadie but the cost of AXS is just too much. close to 3K. So, the one thing that really bothers me is the amount of throw required to shift on the Ultegra. It also doesn't really shift as precise as I would like. I would also like to shed a few grams along the way. So, I was thinking:

1- put a new sram 1190 11-32 cassette. says about 70 + grams and I like that cassette
2- Dura Ace shifters, reduced throw and a pretty good savings in weight
3- dura ace front derailleur - def' an improvement over the 6800 Ultegra
4- I have 6800 cranks, so not sure if I should keep this and run Absolute Black oval 48-32 rings. the other option is to go to DA cranks and Absolute Black CR's. Not sure the extra money here is worthwhile.

Altogether, that's under 1K, should save me about 300 grams and improve shifting

THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Have you ridden the newest DA? I haven't, so I don't have a valid opinion on that. That book looks pretty dialed. Maybe I'd change the chainrings to the ovals, but personally I wonder if they could ever shift as well as Shimano rings do. I love ovals, but I'm running them on a MTB with no front shifting.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
hey looking for some collective wisdom here. I was going to move over my etap red from the roadie but the cost of AXS is just too much. close to 3K. So, the one thing that really bothers me is the amount of throw required to shift on the Ultegra. It also doesn't really shift as precise as I would like. I would also like to shed a few grams along the way. So, I was thinking:

1- put a new sram 1190 11-32 cassette. says about 70 + grams and I like that cassette
2- Dura Ace shifters, reduced throw and a pretty good savings in weight
3- dura ace front derailleur - def' an improvement over the 6800 Ultegra
4- I have 6800 cranks, so not sure if I should keep this and run Absolute Black oval 48-32 rings. the other option is to go to DA cranks and Absolute Black CR's. Not sure the extra money here is worthwhile.

Altogether, that's under 1K, should save me about 300 grams and improve shifting

THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS?
I'd check with @Living Proof because he will probably be buying it soon. ;)

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
What about the new GRX in Di2?

Honestly, I'm not sure of where Shimano is going with that. Its ridiculously heavy. You can do the same with Ultegra di2 and use Absolute Back or Wolf tooth CR's. I am not a di2 fan due to the battery and overly complicated junction boxes and such. I love Etap because its so simply and streamlined. No shifter cables, no junction boxes or hidden batteries. Other than 2 different ways to shift (yes, I do have to remember every time I switch bikes) I would be fine with mechanical.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Have you ridden the newest DA? I haven't, so I don't have a valid opinion on that. That book looks pretty dialed. Maybe I'd change the chainrings to the ovals, but personally I wonder if they could ever shift as well as Shimano rings do. I love ovals, but I'm running them on a MTB with no front shifting.

No, I haven't but the shop boys agree its dialed this time. short throws and very crisp shifting. I don't need a whole new groupo (it already has Ultegra discs) so replacing the key components would be easy. I think it would be a solid choice.

@Philpug LOL, no, Living proof is not getting the moots. Its a frame that is near perfect for me, other than the external routing, (which has advantages) I have zero complaints about the bike. I put together a spreadsheet of a few different gravel bikes and the moots is so similar in the key geometry to my Emonda. other than a taller stack (which just means fewer spacers) and a more sack head; which you want on a gravel bike the other dims are almost exact. And, if you haven't ridden a Ti frame with bigger tires, you need to. It's damn close to riding on a cloud.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
so, it looks like I should buy:

I think replacing these are worthwhile from a weight standpoint and certainly much improved shifting. Not sure if there's a real difference in braking but it appears I cant buy the shifters alone.

9120 shifters with new brake calipers. I am doing some research but it appears the shifters have to be paired with the new calipers?? I can't find info on the 9100 shifters which are sold as stand alones. Not sure if they work with Discs. my calipers are fine, I dont see any need to change those. The 9120's are only sold as Flat mounts. I need a post mount and from what I can tell, there aren't any adaptors for a post to flat (and 140 to 160 rotors)

If anyone can confirm that 9100 shifters will work with my Shimano calipers please let me know

9100 Front Derailleur
-

not sure:
CRANK: Cranks are expensive, $400, I wonder if the better option is to just run the Ultegra crank and replace the CR"s with Black ovals. Going DA will save decent amount of weight but not sure if it's worth it if I go 46/32t on either

Rear derailleur; this doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade from the 6800. I understand you can run a 32 on it but I dont think there's any real gains.

Thoughts on the crank? Is there a better crank to take a look at? I'll change out the cables as well.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
so after doing a few hours of research it appears that I can't run Shimano due to my frame having post mount discs... I'm back to axs.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor