• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Regional Food That You Just Do Not Understand.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never heard that it was Jamaican/African influence but French Canadian in the Arcadian that morph into Cajun.

Close. It’s Acadian (no “r”), Acadia was a colony of New France, which included parts of eastern Quebec and Maine, as well as Maritime provinces.

Here’s the Wiki on Acadia and Acadians: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadians

The Acadians were expelled by the British from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island during the French and Indian War. They traveled to the other French Colony in French Louisiana. That group became part of the Cajuns we know today.

No dispute on the origins of the Cajuns as documented above.
That said, we're talking about food (and culture) in this thread...

red beans and rice - African/jamaican https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/red-beans-and-rice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_beans_and_rice
Gumbo - seasoned with sassafras/file (native american)
Beignets- french donuts (acadian/french)
Voodoo (culture) - jamaican/african https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_New_Orleans
https://gonola.com/things-to-do-in-new-orleans/the-caribbean-connection-nola-meets-the-islands
https://www.myneworleans.com/jamaica-style/

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depends what you call “American” which is after all a fairly recent term (last couple of hundred years).

Turkey, cranberries, succotash, maple syrup, fry bread, cornbread, grits and just about everything else to do with corn are all from Native Americans, and at least as old as most European cuisine. Corn, beans, squash, pumpkins, sunflowers, wild rice, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, peanuts, avocados, papayas, potatoes and chocolate are all indigenous to the “Americas.”
You beat me to this post! Don't forget vanilla and allspice, but I thought peanuts were from Africa.

Pretty much all foods we think of as American, Mexican, Cajun, etc. are a combination of New World foods with Old World techniques. Mole as most people know it was invented by Mexican nuns adapting from older recipes to please European tastes. Gumbo used a French roux. Chili is Old World beef meets New World chiles, tomatoes, and beans cooked like a stew. BBQ whatever is a combination effort. Crabs with Old Bay seasoning. Turkey and stuffing. No need to go further. There is plenty of great American food.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Gonna put that PB and miracle whip sandwich firmly in the NOPE column.

EDIT:
Also in that column, the cottage cheese + pace picante sauce my sister used to eat.

Speaking of -- anyone else have homemade lasagna where cottage cheese was substituted for ricotta? I didn't know cottage cheese was 'wrong' until adulthood ....

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Not sure I follow... are you saying you had lasagna made with cottage cheese as a kid? Ricotta is never "wrong".

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Speaking of -- anyone else have homemade lasagna where cottage cheese was substituted for ricotta? I didn't know ricotta this was 'wrong' until adulthood ....
It's the only way my mom ever made lasagna when I was a kid growing up. But she was a child of the depression and pinched every penny till it hurt. I guarantee ricotta was not in her food budget.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It's the only way my mom ever made lasagna when I was a kid growing up. But she was a child of the depression and pinched every penny till it hurt. I guarantee ricotta was not in her food budget.
My mother was a child of the depression also but she would never sub anything for ricotta in her lasagna.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoopie Pies. Yawn.

Real wild blueberries on the other hand ... Nothing finer.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
My mother was a child of the depression also but she would never sub anything for ricotta in her lasagna.
Cooks Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen does actually suggest small curd cottage cheese frequently in place of ricotta. They explain why every time I have seen it in a recipe. But it is never about cost b

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My mom used cottage cheese in Texas in the 60's and 70's because you couldn't get ricotta, and I don't think folks really worried about such things back then. But she was a good cook and by my college days her stuffed manicotti were the bomb.

Thinking about all this regional food is bringing back memories. My Houston grandmother made a Gulf coast style baked redfish that I still remember to this day.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The first person to eat a clam or an oyster. "I'm really hungry, and that otter hasn't died yet. I guess I'll try it."
I would argue that someone saw a clam that opened up and said Oh boy: some gum!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will see your blueberries and raise you huckleberries! The unofficial delicacy of the Inland Northwest.

Shamora and I have many many huckleberry shrubs growing in our woods, BTW. Plus a couple in front of the house, not to mention a few thimbleberries, another NW native.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Thinking about all this regional food is bringing back memories.
Me too, Grandmas Julekage, and aebleskiver. Mom's Swedish meatballs, miracle whip and peanut butter sandwiches.(sorry I couldn't resist bringing it back up). etc etc

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You beat me to this post! Don't forget vanilla and allspice, but I thought peanuts were from Africa.

Pretty much all foods we think of as American, Mexican, Cajun, etc. are a combination of New World foods with Old World techniques. Mole as most people know it was invented by Mexican nuns adapting from older recipes to please European tastes. Gumbo used a French roux. Chili is Old World beef meets New World chiles, tomatoes, and beans cooked like a stew. BBQ whatever is a combination effort. Crabs with Old Bay seasoning. Turkey and stuffing. No need to go further. There is plenty of great American food.

Don't tell that to a Texan; you'll most likely be shot. No tomatoes or beans in real chili :D

Sponsor

Staff online