• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Regional Food That You Just Do Not Understand.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a Texan, but I've had to adapt or else no one will eat it outside of Texas!
ogsmile That's their loss, but I hear ya ogsmile

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't tell that to a Texan; you'll most likely be shot. No tomatoes or beans in real chili :D

Pretty sure there is a tomato component in Texas Red.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure there is a tomato component in Texas Red.
Nope. Not the authentic recipe. It's easy to verify via google. I'm sure you can find adulterated recipes that use tomatoes, but that's not the point.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope. Not the authentic recipe. It's easy to verify via google. I'm sure you can find adulterated recipes that use tomatoes, but that's not the point.

Just looking at championship recipes from the CASI Terlingua cook off. That's pretty Texas ...

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just looking at championship recipes from the CASI Terlingua cook off. That's pretty Texas ...

Tomatoes are controversial, but still not authentic. Beans not even controversial.

Though many have their own recipes for Texas chili, the official dish lacks certain ingredients which may cause others to throw up their hands in protest. According to Texas chili history, the ingredients included in the dish were those readily available on a daily basis. These include meat and dried chiles. (Chile refers to the pepper, while chili refers to the dish.) Nowhere in Texas chili history are beans or tomatoes included in the recipe. In fact, the official rules for preparing chili at the International Chili Cookoff prohibit the inclusion of these ingredients as anathema to the heritage of the dish itself.

https://texashillcountry.com/texas-chili-history-state-dish/

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All the Scandinavian countries have some variant of rotten fish. Rakfisk, Rotfisk, Surstromming, Lutefisk. It takes some serious abuse of the Aquavit to even think about putting it near your mouth. Definitely an acquired taste, as they say

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Other than substituting beef for pork, Texas Red sounds a lot like my beloved Carne Adovada I get every time I am in New Mexico.
So, a quick google finds a Carne Adovada recipe that sounds a bit fishy...
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe.html
Raisins? Orange juice??? Asian Fish Sauce!!!!

Ok, settle down... https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/697-real-carne-adovada Much better...
This sounds a lot like puerco pibil, which uses ground annatto, habeneros, lime, and pineapple for the dried chiles. A more tropical dish. I'm making a big batch this afternoon, and will freeze some to take north for ski trips.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All the Scandinavian countries have some variant of rotten fish. Rakfisk, Rotfisk, Surstromming, Lutefisk. It takes some serious abuse of the Aquavit to even think about putting it near your mouth. Definitely an acquired taste, as they say
My Wisconsin wife (half-Swedish) was only subjected to this once. Her mom refused to serve it once her grandfather passed away. Apparently he liked it...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am not sure if I missed it but has anyone mentioned squid or octopus? Many people have tried fried calamari but what about grilled octopus, also a fine appetizer.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fried calamari is pretty ubiquitous nowadays in most restaurants. Just another fried starter on the menu. Most come out a bag from the freezer.
I like them when they are fresh with a light wet batter. Especially when they serve the tentacles.
We used to cook fresh calamari at home. Many ways to use it. Fried, sauteed or lightly blanched with a ginger scallion soy sauce. Don't use it much the last few years. The prices had gone through the roof in the last 15 years or so. From 60 cents to $4.99 per pound. That is before cleaning. Lose about 30% in the cleaning process. China probably came online for that stuff.

WE live in a heavy Greek immigrant neighborhood in NYC. Octopus is one of our favorite food around here. Grill or sauteed. Seen a big drop off in the number of Greek restaurants around here as the older immigrants aged out or moved away. The neighborhood is definitely changing. Change is always inevitable.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
calamari...
When my son's elementary school had a "squid day" tradition for 5th grade (maybe still does, who knows?).
Some people would wear squid hats, etc, but the highlight of the day was the biology lesson where they dissected fresh squid.
Parent volunteer helpers were solicited, so I went in. There were a couple of Mom's who cooked calamari regularly, but most of the adults and almost all of the kids were pretty squeamish. The highlight was when one of the Mom's chased her son around the room with a squid eyeball, giggling.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
No dispute on the origins of the Cajuns as documented above.
That said, we're talking about food (and culture) in this thread...

red beans and rice - African/jamaican https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/red-beans-and-rice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_beans_and_rice
Gumbo - seasoned with sassafras/file (native american)
Beignets- french donuts (acadian/french)
Voodoo (culture) - jamaican/african https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_New_Orleans
https://gonola.com/things-to-do-in-new-orleans/the-caribbean-connection-nola-meets-the-islands
https://www.myneworleans.com/jamaica-style/
I think there is confusion over Creole and Cajun. Both cultures heavily influenced the New Orleans region. Cajun is as discussed, Creole is the African influence to that region. Red Beans and Rice, Shrimp Creole, and Creole Jambalaya are Creole dishes while Gumbo etc. is Cajun. And later they both influenced each other creating the heavenly cuisine we all know and love. But Cajun is not the direct African influenced culture.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When my son's elementary school had a "squid day" tradition for 5th grade (maybe still does, who knows?).
Some people would wear squid hats, etc, but the highlight of the day was the biology lesson where they dissected fresh squid.
Parent volunteer helpers were solicited, so I went in. There were a couple of Mom's who cooked calamari regularly, but most of the adults and almost all of the kids were pretty squeamish. The highlight was when one of the Mom's chased her son around the room with a squid eyeball, giggling.

Have to admit calamari sound so much more sophisticated than squid. Taste the same but one can charge more for the dish.
Should not confuse the squid on the dining table with the species of squid generally found on the Taos bump runs. The easiest way to differentiate the two is the Taos variety are usually found alive or semi-alive with their tentacles waving heading toward their next major face plant.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Fried calamari is pretty ubiquitous nowadays in most restaurants. Just another fried starter on the menu. Most come out a bag from the freezer.
I like them when they are fresh with a light wet batter. Especially when they serve the tentacles.
We used to cook fresh calamari at home. Many ways to use it. Fried, sauteed or lightly blanched with a ginger scallion soy sauce. Don't use it much the last few years. The prices had gone through the roof in the last 15 years or so. From 60 cents to $4.99 per pound. That is before cleaning. Lose about 30% in the cleaning process. China probably came online for that stuff.

WE live in a heavy Greek immigrant neighborhood in NYC. Octopus is one of our favorite food around here. Grill or sauteed. Seen a big drop off in the number of Greek restaurants around here as the older immigrants aged out or moved away. The neighborhood is definitely changing. Change is always inevitable.
My fathers sister or should I say my aunt would make stuffed calamari it was outstanding. Wish I had her recipe, her daughter does not make it at all so it is gone from the family.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
There are two ways to cook escargot, properly with garlic and butter, which I enjoy. And then there is the other way ... ... ... vulcanized, then I’d rather eat a piece of tire.

Sponsor