• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Regional food terms that non-locals don't understand

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And you can't visit NM without trying a green chili cheeseburger. oh man, now I'm hungry.

Oh man, now you're talking. Love a green chili cheeseburger done right!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And you can't visit NM without trying a green chili cheeseburger. oh man, now I'm hungry.
When we were working in NM we went to some little town with a famous green chili cheeseburger joint. It was good, I will have to say.

One time when I was skiing Taos, I drove into town fairly late. After checking into the motel, I tried to get dinner but everywhere was closed. I finally discovered the drive-thru at Wendy's was open. But this being NM, they had a green chili chicken sandwich! Saved!

It is not really a little-known term, but sort of in the spirit of the thread, I guess we should mention "Christmas".

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
In 1975 this boy from Northern New York was in Southern California. I like chili so I ordered a chili size. I found out it was a hamburger on a bun slathered with chili. Not what I was expecting but good all the same.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Apple cider and apple cider donuts
Coffee Fribble from Friendly's
Peanut butter and Fluff sandwich

My family had a cider mill and we served hot cider for free - wonder why it was sold when my grandmother died. We still make hot cider once a week starting in October.

I'll take the peanut butter sunday from Friendlys.

The best thing public schools made for lunch was peanut butter and fluff on white bread. Now they sell flax bread pizza and nobody eats it.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jimmies are the chocolate sprinkles you put on ice cream

Be aware. Using the term "jimmies" may get you chastised by a social justice warrior. I knew it was time to quite my job and move out of Boston the day we held an ice cream social at the office. I asked a co-worker (happened to be a subordinate. happened to be a millennial. just sayin') to toss some jimmies on my sundae. I was met with a look of disgust followed by an air of superiority. "You are aware that 'jimmies' is a term with racist origins?", I was asked. No, I wasn't aware. ...and it may not even be true, but gotta avoid those SJWs running around "the bubble".

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wn7y5b/the-age-old-question-of-whether-jimmies-are-racist

On a more fun note. How about Rhode Island's "Coffee Milk"? I had no idea this existed until I became a member of #TEAMCOFFEEMILK. (we have hats and everything) https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coffee-milk_n_5915e7a8e4b00f308cf4ff7d

...and finally, I really like when you throw regional dialects into regional terms. It took me a month to figure out I could get a drink from "the bubla". A lot of folks around Boston drop their "Rs" or add "Rs" when there's an "A" at the end of a word. So, "Bubbler" becomes "Bubla" and a medium "Regular" from Dunkies becomes a "Regla".

Fun stuff. ...and since I'm rambling, back in good ol' Western PA, no one gets upset if you call a Cabbage Roll / Pigs in a Blanket, "Hunkie Hand Grenade".

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It looks like this is available again...

Manhattan-Special-Espresso-Soda-Bottles-10-fl-oz-6-ct.jpeg

What about Dr. Browns Cel-Rey Celery Soda.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Be aware. Using the term "jimmies" may get you chastised by a social justice warrior. I knew it was time to quite my job and move out of Boston the day we held an ice cream social at the office. I asked a co-worker (happened to be a subordinate. happened to be a millennial. just sayin') to toss some jimmies on my sundae. I was met with a look of disgust followed by an air of superiority. "You are aware that 'jimmies' is a term with racist origins?", I was asked. No, I wasn't aware. ...and it may not even be true, but gotta avoid those SJWs running around "the bubble".

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wn7y5b/the-age-old-question-of-whether-jimmies-are-racist

I'm certainly not a word-origins expert, but the idea that the term "jimmies" originated with Jim Crow laws seems... dubious.

That said, I can never remember the term "jimmies" until after I said "chocolate sprinkles", so... I think I'm good.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cabbage Roll / Pigs in a Blanket, "Hunkie Hand Grenade"

That's one I haven't heard in a long time... Just the term "hunkie" or "hunky" is pretty much unknown outside of western PA. (It's not "hunky" as in a guy that's good looking is a hunk - instead it's a word for people of eastern European origin - slavic or polish for instance.)

Some people seem to think it's derogatory and it gets called an ethnic slur, be we never used it that way. My family was full of hunkies and proud of it. I remember my grandmother saying she wished more of her daughters had married good hunkies. We used to refer to the Slovak and Croatian days at Kennywood Park as "hunky days".

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Around here, school lunch programs call Corn Dogs or dogs on a stick pigs in a blanket.

Now that is just not right...

Sponsor

Staff online