• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Regional food terms that non-locals don't understand

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Had to look up "egg cream".... so it's chocolate milk and seltzer water? Strange name for it...

You guys have google out in your neck of the wood? :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_cream

Etymology theories and speculationsEdit

The ingredients of an egg cream: chocolate syrup, seltzer, and whole milk

Most writing on the egg cream assumes that it originated among Eastern European Jewish immigrants in New York City. This has led to a variety of theories to explain the widely noted paradox that the New York City egg cream is made with neither eggs nor cream.

Stanley Auster, the grandson of the beverage's alleged inventor, has been quoted as saying that the origins of the name are lost in time.[1] One commonly accepted origin is that egg is a corruption of the German word echt — also found in Yiddish, meaning "genuine" or "real" — and this was a "good cream".[citation needed]

Food historian Andrew Smith writes: "During the 1880s, a popular specialty was made with chocolate syrup, cream, and raw eggs mixed into soda water. In poorer neighborhoods, a less expensive version of this treat was created, called the Egg Cream (made without the eggs or cream)."[2]

Another explanation comes from reports that it grew out of a request for chocolat et crème from someone, possibly the actor Boris Thomashefsky[3] who had experienced a similar drink in Paris, which according to his heavy accent morphed the name into something like "egg cream", which then developed into the current term.[4]

I tend to think it's number one.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The ingredients of an egg cream: chocolate syrup, seltzer, and whole milk...

Seems like it might be good with half 'n' half... with the seltzer thinning it out a bit.

And what is U-bet like compared to Hershey's or other chocolate syrup?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like it might be good with half 'n' half... with the seltzer thinning it out a bit.

And what is U-bet like compared to Hershey's or other chocolate syrup?

I got to go get a wider door.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Half & half has more than 5 time the calories of whole milk.
Anyway, the diners and stores I used to get the egg cream all use whole milk. That is what I am familiar with.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Creamie—soft serve ice cream in much of New England.

Maple Creamie being the best. Especially when it is local milk and real maple too.

I've lived in MA my entire life and have never heard of soft serve being called creamie. Who knew?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
except maybe Cincinnati chili
I love Cincinnati Chili! (The 3 way (spagetti, chili, cheese) is the real deal. The 5 way (add onions and beans) is just pandering to outisders.

Another fantastic NM food is posole, a soup made with pork and whole hominy (not ground). Yum!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I love Cincinnati Chili! (The 3 way (spagetti, chili, cheese) is the real deal. The 5 way (add onions and beans) is just pandering to outisders.

Another fantastic NM food is posole, a soup made with pork and whole hominy (not ground). Yum!

Love the 3 way. Not into onions.

NM - Sopapillas with honey and menudo.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Water Ice. Very Philly and New York. We are seeing Rita's Water Ice come west, we jsut got one in Reno...within walking distance from our hour. Lemon is still the the reference flavor. There is a regional aspect that some just called the, "Lemon Ice" and if they wanted a different flavor like Cherry, they asked for a Cherry Lemon Ice. Today if you asked for that in a Rita's I am sure you will be served a half cherry half lemon ice.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Water Ice. Very Philly and New York. We are seeing Rita's Water Ice come west, we jsut got one in Reno...within walking distance from our hour. Lemon is still the the reference flavor. There is a regional aspect that some just called the, "Lemon Ice" and if they wanted a different flavor like Cherry, they asked for a Cherry Lemon Ice. Today if you asked for that in a Rita's I am sure you will be served a half cherry half lemon ice.
That jawn is pretty tasty!

Another very parochial Philly term...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know Rita's, and Italian ice, but I've never heard of "water ice"... that's so redundant that I, as a non-local, just don't understand....

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I make a pretty awesome posole.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier

I've always gotten a 4-way with beans (no onions).

I know Rita's, and Italian ice, but I've never heard of "water ice"... that's so redundant that I, as a non-local, just don't understand....

If you're a Philly native you'll pronounce it "wood-er" ice too.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've always gotten a 4-way with beans (no onions).

If you're a Philly native you'll pronounce it "wood-er" ice too.
I first had Cincinnati chili when attending a conference there when the Reds were in a playoff series, with I think the Giants. I couldn't score any cheap tickets to just soak up the ambiance of the playoffs. Reds lost. But that chili wasn't that bad in the proper setting. I had it 5 way, what do I know about Cincinnati chili. Texans aren't supposed to put beans in their chili, but I really like beans of all kinds, so they're fine with me.

Drove by a Rita's this morning on the way home from the gym. I did not see Italian or Water on the sign, just Ice.They are closed for the season.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I've lived in MA my entire life and have never heard of soft serve being called creamie. Who knew?
To clarify that is from VT and NH. So Northern Nee England.

Even within the region there are plenty of varieties of names. After all, you could live 90 min away, have a condo, and season pass, and yet be a flat lander vs a local who neither hikes nor skis.

thewirewiz

Booting up
Skier
Grew up near Boston. Been north of there for 50 years.
I knew ices as slush, as in Richie's slush out in Revere.

Been eating plain donuts all these years, and my wife has been making donuts for me for almost 40 years. Just found out last week that plain donuts are called "old fashioned" donuts by my local born friend 10 years older than me, verified by a trip to DD.

Used to get a fountain soda (yup) called a raspberry lime rickey at the spa on the corner.

Jimmies started at at Brighams, I think.

And my Vermonter wife taught me about creamies, and Vt maple creamies over by Burlington set the standard.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My husband remembers "Italian water ice" which he says is icier than gelato. He remembers a rose being the logo. When he said to me *Italian water ice?" it made me remember the guy and the box and the umbrella on a street corner. But we always used the "Italian" in the description.

And we still say "wooder". Although I'm trying to correct it before I say it, is still slips out more than half the time. I'm also trying to say Oar-ig-in and not Are-ig-in. I'll be on chairlifts and the rare time there's a seat mate from elsewhere, they will tell me where I'm from. Aaaugh. After all, my dad was from South Carolina and I left PA in 1976. Some of it should have worn off!

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Posole is the bomb!

Another great NM dish that you don't see many places elsewhere are the stacked enchiladas with blue corn tortillas. Not rolled like the typical enchilada, but layered meat and cheese between flat blue corn tortillas, smothered with chili and topped with a fried egg! The New Mexican chilis are spicy and flavorful. Good stuff.

And you can't visit NM without trying a green chili cheeseburger. oh man, now I'm hungry.

Sponsor

Staff online