• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Regional food terms that non-locals don't understand

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It is just a starch. A bland vehicle to transport the actual flavor of the "real" food. Like rice, pasta, couscous, mash potato, etc. Every culture has something similar.

The issue with some of the trendy restaurants is that they have a tendency to under cook the grits. They often try to create something "new & improved". Grits like most common starches are peasant food. It is often the least expensive and most plentiful part of the meal. Most cultures have perfected they way they prepare the starch component of their meals. Some of these new chefs are trying to reinventing the wheel. Often with less than impressive results. ....

There is a restaurant near here (in CO) that does a shrimp and grits entree, and it tastes great, except they give you about 1.5 T of grits. I don't get it. Like you say, it's the cheapest and easiest part of the meal, don't skimp!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thats the problem...Reading is NOT Eastern PA, it is central Pa.

I don't think I would have ever lumped Reading in as being in Central PA. Harrisburg/Hershey yes, but not Reading. It's only 60 miles away from Philadelphia and even less from the western 'burbs. Maybe this is a thing I'm missing not being a PA native, but when I'm headed home from Ohio, I usually feel like I'm back in my part of the state once I start seeing the Reading/Morgantown signs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't think I would have ever lumped Reading in as being in Central PA. Harrisburg/Hershey yes, but not Reading. It's only 60 miles away from Philadelphia and even less from the western 'burbs. Maybe this is a thing I'm missing not being a PA native, but when I'm headed home from Ohio, I usually feel like I'm back in my part of the state once I start seeing the Reading/Morgantown signs.
Maybe geography but it is more central PA...and it has become more the western burbs because of Rt.422. IMHO this is the same way Newtown Square (and even out to Downingtown) perceives it's on the "Main Line" but it is not...and I am from Newtown Square.

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
There is a restaurant near here (in CO) that does a shrimp and grits entree, and it tastes great, except they give you about 1.5 T of grits. I don't get it. Like you say, it's the cheapest and easiest part of the meal, don't skimp!!
Were are those instant grits?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Regular" coffee in New England means two teaspoons (heaping) of sugar with a major dose of cream...or in the case of Dunkin Donuts "kreme" (non-dairy, oil-based, white stuff).

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Somehow in Rhode Island (maybe not all of RI, I don't know) a Milkshake/frappe is a "cabinet". I have no idea why.

scott43

Skier
"Regular" coffee in New England means two teaspoons (heaping) of sugar with a major dose of cream...or in the case of Dunkin Donuts "kreme" (non-dairy, oil-based, white stuff).
Is a "double-double" a thing down there? Standard Tim's order.."Large double-double please.."

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Egg Cream. Good luck finding one much west of the Hudson.

Haven't thought about egg cream in over 15 years. Ever since my favorite diner on Broadway closed up.
Got to get some chocolate syrup and seltzer and make some at home.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I can't even stomach a light and sweet from Dunkin any longer. I'm more of a iced double espresso with a splash of half and half and a Splenda from Starbucks gal these days. Love Tim Hortons when I can get it. I love my maple creemees from the Vermont Sugar House which is conveniently on the way back from Killington.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can't even stomach a light and sweet from Dunkin any longer.
Funny, I used to order "Extra extra" from DD when I was back east. Thanks to @Tricia. I cut out sugar in my coffee so it was easier to share a large coffee on the road. If I tried to drink an "Extra extra"...I imaging I would spit it out.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny, I used to order "Extra extra" from DD when I was back east. Thanks to @Tricia. I cut out sugar in my coffee so it was easier to share a large coffee on the road. If I tried to drink an "Extra extra"...I imaging I would spit it out.
Over time, we get old and bitter, just like our coffee...:nono:
No wait, that's not right!:roflmao:

(I like strong black coffee, no sugar these days.)

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Over time, we get old and bitter, just like our coffee...:nono:
No wait, that's not right!:roflmao:

(I like strong black coffee, no sugar these days.)

Perhaps you can change your handle to Dirty Harry.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Who takes their coffee "Regular" ?
This was a common phrase when I was a child, but certainly meant nothing to me when my mother told me to go into Gino's for a coffee. She (I know now) wanted it black, but when they asked me how I wanted the coffee and I had no clue how to answer and gave them that ("regular") response. Oops. To me, regular meant plain, not adding cream and sugar.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta be U-bet syrup.

You bet.

U-Bet.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid