• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Regional food terms that non-locals don't understand

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Oh really? I've only ever heard soda here in eastern PA since I've lived here. Not sure I've heard anyone around here call it coke, either down here in Philly or when we've been up in the Poconos or Lehigh Valley area.

Maybe it was my block... I grew up near Reading, Pennsylvania. We definitely used "coke" as the generic term in the '70s.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Maybe it was my block... I grew up near Reading, Pennsylvania. We definitely used "coke" as the generic term in the '70s.

I'll have to pay attention when I'm in the Reading area (I attend Penn State Berks); I'm curious now. It's possible it's maybe changed over time too. Although, they have some different expressions there. Like what I'd call a game of telephone, you know where you tell someone something and it gets passed down a line of people, they call whispering down the lane or something like that.

I'm originally from Ohio so grew up saying pop, but I've lived on the east coast for 15 years now between PA and NJ so I primarily call it soda now. I now get shit from my family back home about calling it soda. lol

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The old timers used to call it tonic around here in Massachusetts, but that's changed to soda. One time my grandmother asked me to go to the store to pick up some washing soda and I was like huh then nicely jested her about the term.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The old timers used to call it tonic around here in Massachusetts, but that's changed to soda. One time my grandmother asked me to go to the store to pick up some washing soda and I was like huh then nicely jested her about the term.

Yeah, in the 20 years I've lived in Massachusetts I've never heard somebody say "tonic".

I have heard "bubbler" in place of "water fountain".

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, in the 20 years I've lived in Massachusetts I've never heard somebody say "tonic".

I have heard "bubbler" in place of "water fountain".
I'd forgotten "tonic". Before I met my wife, I had a girlfriend who always lived in Mass, as did her parents and grandparents (and maybe before that). She said "tonic" and "bubbler" (and "so don't I" for that matter).

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's just coarse-ground polenta.
I'd argue that it's exactly polenta. No difference. You can find coarse or finer grinds of both. And i like both.
No, polenta is ground corn meal, normally coarser than American corn meal, while grits are ground dried hominy, which is dried corn kernels processed with lime (calcium carbonate). Mexicans make hominy to soften the corn kernels and shed the skins, then grind them into masa to make tortillas and tamales. For some reason, Americans got the idea to redry the hominy and then grind it into grits, which are then rehydrated while cooking them to make a porridge. Go figure. But I also like both grits and polenta.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Texas sheet cake, which originally is just a rich chocolate sheet cake with a boiled chocolate frosting. Now days it seems to come with a creamed chocolate frosting.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I've never had artistic grits. I will admit, though, that my experience with grits is very limited.

It is just a starch. A bland vehicle to transport the actual flavor of the "real" food. Like rice, pasta, couscous, mash potato, etc. Every culture has something similar.

The issue with some of the trendy restaurants is that they have a tendency to under cook the grits. They often try to create something "new & improved". Grits like most common starches are peasant food. It is often the least expensive and most plentiful part of the meal. Most cultures have perfected they way they prepare the starch component of their meals. Some of these new chefs are trying to reinventing the wheel. Often with less than impressive results.

Fry sauce
funeral potatoes
weak beer (although it's a bit better now)

Don't tell me. You live in Utah. :D

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No, polenta is ground corn meal, normally coarser than American corn meal, while grits are ground dried hominy, which is dried corn kernels processed with lime (calcium carbonate). Mexicans make hominy to soften the corn kernels and shed the skins, then grind them into masa to make tortillas and tamales. For some reason, Americans got the idea to redry the hominy and then grind it into grits, which are then rehydrated while cooking them to make a porridge. Go figure. But I also like both grits and polenta.
Not according to a lot of online links and some cooking shows i've watched. Though admittedly info seems to be all over the map.

Case in point, the two recipes on this page, one for polenta and one for grits, both just specify "cornmeal"...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/episodes/true-grits

and apparently some hominy is just white corn and isn't treated with anything.