• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Regional food terms that non-locals don't understand

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
West coast Scotland, all fizzy lemonade type drinks are called "ginger" ('jinjur) regardless of the flavour.

" Geez a wee poke 'a chips an a boatle ' a ginger" .

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It is pop in Ohio too.

And a lot of other places...

http://popvssoda.com/

upload_2019-11-8_8-11-27.png

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned "flapjacks" yet... I had no idea what those were the first time I saw that on a menu. Thankfully I was accompanied by a translator. :)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Many years ago while driving across the country to ski bum we stopped at a diner somewhere in Colorado or Utah, I forget which. I asked for rye toast with my eggs. They brought me dry toast, no butter, waitress had never heard of rye bread. Wonder what she would have said if I had asked for a bagel?

In CT where I grew up they used to call a sub, hero, etc. a wedge. I don't know why.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Many years ago while driving across the country to ski bum we stopped at a diner somewhere in Colorado or Utah, I forget which. I asked for rye toast with my eggs. They brought me dry toast, no butter, waitress had never heard of rye bread. Wonder what she would have said if I had asked for a bagel?

In one of Bill Bryson's books (I think it was "I'm a stranger here myself"?) he recounted his experience in a southern diner where the well-endowed waitress asked "breakfast menu?" and he heard it as "breast man?"

:roflmao:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wonder what she would have said if I had asked for a bagel?

Mamie went to school in Maine. I went up with her to visit her room mates back in late 70's. In a small breakfast place, she asked if they have bagels. The waitress said we don't serve Chinese food here. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

She settled for white toast.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In my part of North Texas, you asked for a coke or a Dr Pepper. Dr Pepper got you that, but if you asked for coke you were given the other choices. I guess it's because Dr Pepper is from Waco. I still prefer Dr Pepper or Pepsi over Coke, and ginger ale/beer over most citrus drinks.

My brother got so flustered ordering at Pat's in Philadelphia that they almost did send him to the back of the line. I mean, he actually started asking them questions about the ingredients or something.:roflmao:

My son orders his "wiz wit", I guess it's easier to say. I prefer "provolone wit". One of the best hybrid dishes I've ever had was a "cheese steak" made from smoked brisket, from a local food truck. OMG:drool:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
My first trip to Syracuse I was disgusted to learn that they ate Coney Island Whites.That turned out to be bratwurst, not whitefish.

dm

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great website. It does show eastern Pennsylvania (i.e., my original home) as being solidly in the "soda" category, which is wrong. "coke" is the term du jour. I dutifully submitted my info.

Oh really? I've only ever heard soda here in eastern PA since I've lived here. Not sure I've heard anyone around here call it coke, either down here in Philly or when we've been up in the Poconos or Lehigh Valley area.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I discovered iced tea in the south is always sweetened. You must explicitly order unsweetened if that's what you want.