• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RedShift Shockstop Suspension Seatpost

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It means that the distance between your seat and your pedals changes. Knee pain coming.

Why would you ride a hard tail in rocky terrain?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not the seatpost but I tried their stem on my gravel bike. It kinda works but is very heavy and makes the bike feel clumsy so I removed it.
Please remember, this will not change how the bike rides, it will change how you feel, this one is of the stuff that suspend the rider, not the bike.
Same as with Future Shock on Specialized bikes, so you will have to continue picking your lines carefully.

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
You can get a dropper post for less than that, and being able to move your COM around should calm down the ride much more than a suspension seat post. The reality is though to calm down the rear end interacting with your feet you need rear suspension.

Also the widest rear tire set up tubeless should help as well.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As discussed above, it doesn't do jack for the bike tracking or stability.

What hasn't been discussed above is that it changes the angle of the saddle relative to the upper body. One moment you're on the rivet next you're on the wings - if you're actually using the travel available.

If you actually ride this thing in rocks, expect to be shopping for a narrower saddle or buying more padded shorts - or both.

If you know your Specialized history, you'll remember they had a 3cm suspension seat post long before the COBL GOBL-R. I actually rode that thing with tri shorts once. Repeat, once.

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
The one person I know who's using this seatpost mentions the sensation he calls "pedal bounce" happens, mostly on uphills. He didn't mention knee pain specifically.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It might work OK to remove road buzz on rough pavement and gravel. Certainly not intended to be a dropper alternative.

Not the seatpost but I tried their stem on my gravel bike. It kinda works but is very heavy and makes the bike feel clumsy so I removed it.

I thought I agreed with this. I removed mine after about 10 hours for the reasons you stated. After I reinstalled the rigid stem for one ride, the Redshift stem went right back on, for good.

Not sold on the seatpost, though.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I removed mine after about 10 hours for the reasons you stated. After I reinstalled the rigid stem for one ride, the Redshift stem went right back on, for good.

Yeah, I know many people like it, especially on heavier frames and for long gravel rides, it does remove the road buzz.
Having removed mine I made myself suffer more and hence-save faster for a Roubaix.. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

BTW If someone wants to try it (the stem) I'd gladly send it over as a gift, free of charge, only shipping costs will need to be covered.
On condition of course that if he/she does not like it, he/she should do the same, i.e. give it so someone for free :):)

P.S. When all this corona madness is over of course.

Last edited:
TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I wasn't tempted by the redshift stem. I went ahead and purchased the seatpost.

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
First ride with the Redshift seat post was pretty good. No pedal bounce to speak of, and the ride was superb. The matrix provided for setting up the spring(s) was spot on. I felt I was getting better suspension than the front forks were providing in some downhill sections. Only issue was the seat angle, my fault, which was easily fixed for the second ride. Very happy with the blend of hard tail energy transfer without beating me up.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First ride with the Redshift seat post was pretty good. No pedal bounce to speak of, and the ride was superb. The matrix provided for setting up the spring(s) was spot on. I felt I was getting better suspension than the front forks were providing in some downhill sections. Only issue was the seat angle, my fault, which was easily fixed for the second ride. Very happy with the blend of hard tail energy transfer without beating me up.
Are you sitting down on the downhill?

Don't, and absorb the rocks with your knees.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Not a fan of "suspension" seatposts, the role of suspension being to decouple the rider and bike's mass from vertical travel.

If you feel limited, maybe seek out coaching regarding your position on the bike. I've watched way too many world-cup riders, world-champions and Olympians on HTs eat up rocky courses that most of us couldn't clean, much less race on. At my ideal I am so far forward that my bars obscure the view of my fork crown. The small tweaks that my coach makes yields profound results.

FS suspension is definatrely more "efficient" on rough terrain. However with a coach and video analysis (probably about the cost of a suspension post) you will be building capacity, not compensation.

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Gawd, what a bunch of turds in the punchbowl. I don't race, this isn't my obsession in the ski offseason, and I've got a KTM 380 to take me up and down the same hills when I feel like it. Piss off, the both of you.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
In days of yore I used the old USE Alien suspension seat post on my Sinister ridge hardtail: I wouldn't trade the benefits of a modern dropper post to ride one again--even on a hardtail.

Oh, a good hardtail-with the right geometry, wider rims and the right tire set up does just fine on any terrain...I'd recommend, instead of a suspension post getting good damping tire inserts (cushcore or the Vittoria airliners-which are lighter and excellent for trail riding), drop the tire pressure and add a dropper post (and clipless pedals if you ain't using them already...they make less of a difference on a full suspension bike...they are game changers on hardtails): Contemporary solutions for today's challenges.

Oh, I once owned a C-dale F29-good bike but even by stiff, harsh aluminum standards it was in a league of it's own for a stiff harsh ride (My Banshee Paradox is a lot more fun--and the new version looks killer).

Sponsor