• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks FP and OLD , the top’s,sides,bases,under the binding,between the bindings is a WORK OF ART, I should be good to go, the more I fondle them the more I’m liking the top sheets.
SWEET job on the sticker Jacques , I gotta work on my style so I can have my own sticker too!
I’m pretty sure , maybe a couple more years ,the Candy Bar people are gonna call !!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
IMHO a 1/3 is not an aggressive tune, as the 1 in the base provides all the forgiveness you need.
Yes, the base bevel makes all the difference. 0.5 base is probably not for everyone, but a 1:3 - easy skiing. I remember when I first got my WC SCs, that came with a 1:3 tune. I had the impression I could get away with murder; I felt I could read the paper on the way down, and if I accidentally did put a ski wrong it wouldn't matter all that much. Mind you my previous skis were tuned to 0.5:2, rather stiff and unforgiving, and had about a 70 m turn radius.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Thanks FP and OLD , the top’s,sides,bases,under the binding,between the bindings is a WORK OF ART, I should be good to go, the more I fondle them the more I’m liking the top sheets.
SWEET job on the sticker Jacques , I gotta work on my style so I can have my own sticker too!
I’m pretty sure , maybe a couple more years ,the Candy Bar people are gonna call !!

I did not make the stickers. A snowboard kid from Bachelor Painted it from a photo taking cartoon liberty. Another guy purchased them and gave them to me to give to the "children" that love me for some reason.
Lawrence Boomer Photo. Brian Zager Artist. John Flynn (No. 1 for days at Mt. Bachelor) Buyer for a bum! I love them all. From 67 to 17!

Jacques

Skier
Here you be.
NET ART REDOS 074.jpg
NET ART REDOS 074.jpg

Jacques

Skier

Hmmm.......Google images? I wear that coat sometimes over a onesie when it's a bit cold in the morning. It does relate to that artist.
Those Rossi Power S 9's have a 1/3 on them. When I do them again I'll go to the 4 side.

Hmmm.....I have no idea how you got that photo!

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
I took it, of course
:D

You would take that and not introduce yourself to me? I'm having a hard time to believe that.
If so, you may have missed out on some great tuna sandwiches!
I checked on images, but did not see that one. Maybe I need to search for "Dominator Jacques Mt Bachelor". No not there either.
Maybe "Huge Gapper Mt. Bachelor" No, not there either.

Anyway I have about 10 pairs at 1/3 and 3 at 1/4. I will be setting more to 4 side as time goes by. Seems fine for me for all conditions.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I should add that sometimes I want a Ferrari, sometimes I want a dune buggy.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup - the biggest thing is changing the edge at this point. I am grateful I was advised to start with 1*/2*, because that was enough of an adjustment to absorb. But now I am loving them, especially after sharpening them with the diamond. And I want more :) But I could stay on 2* and keep having fun and improving. I am definitely not rushing it.

Now, to be sure, given the choices, since I am only doing one (pair of) ski(s), I would much rather deal with a little bit of sidewall material and clean it off the file/stone with the brush as I go, rather than getting the tools and expertise to remove the sidewall (at this point). Meaning, I'll rather be 50% inefficient and learn one skill at a time. It seems like I'll be doing more and more of this through the years. Which I find exciting. The next best thing to being on the snow is getting ready to be on the snow :D
My first question when I read your first post was why would you want a 3* side? If you like them how they are, leave them alone. There are SO many things that can go wrong, not to mention, you are an intermediate skier who is progressing.

I'd leave them alone.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My first question when I read your first post was why would you want a 3* side? If you like them how they are, leave them alone. There are SO many things that can go wrong, not to mention, you are an intermediate skier who is progressing.

I'd leave them alone.

^^ I agree 100%. IMO, if one is skiing mostly mostly soft snow in the west and it doesn't often get scraped off, then a 3* side edge is not needed especially for an intermediate who is not needing the extra bite of 3* which could result in "catching an edge" unexpectedly.

I ski with a 1/2 edge and if I am at a place like Lake Louise where it can get a little icy, I just make sure that my skis are sharp.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Mmm. Maybe. Again, where a person skis is important. Frequently icy places (e.g.: New England) are better with a 3º side. It gives confidence under sketchy conditions.

I'm not sure that an extra degree causes people to catch an edge — lack of technical discipline might, but that can happen at any side edge angle. My wife blew her ACL by catching a 2º edge once (that's anecdotal, I know). I have found that sharp tips (north of the contact point) can make things dodgy in hard, rutted conditions, though.

Jacques

Skier
IDK, I ski "soft" snow all the time and see no downside to a 3 degree side edge. I use that and 4 degree as well.
Other than that good sidewall work on a sandwich ski can be needed to get the best of those degrees.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^ I agree 100%. IMO, if one is skiing mostly mostly soft snow in the west and it doesn't often get scraped off, then a 3* side edge is not needed especially for an intermediate who is not needing the extra bite of 3* which could result in "catching an edge" unexpectedly.

I ski with a 1/2 edge and if I am at a place like Lake Louise where it can get a little icy, I just make sure that my skis are sharp.
Oh Boy....Here we go with the F_ _ _ing West thing again and a 3 degree! :rolleyes:

Sponsor

Staff online