• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I never see anyone comp skiing at Stowe....

Too many round lines.....

I've seen comp style bump skiing done very occasionally down Chin Clip... Front Four bumps though... yeah, I've never seen somebody even try.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah MRG bumps are fast line slow heel pushed, on short narrow skis.

Wish they allowed snowboarders.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, Taos sounds like a pretty miserable place.

Gravity is strong there.
Not miserable. Just not for the weak minded.
Gotta listen to the mountain.
Lots of fun if you like gravity.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
Gravity is strong there.
Not miserable. Just not for the weak minded.
Gotta listen to the mountain.
Lots of fun if you like gravity.

Too late, marked off my travel list, no good bumps at Taos, got it. A work buddy skis all over the world and told me last winter, don't go to Taos, said it was awful, so now that's two strikes against it. Plenty of other places that are awesome, like MJ, not worth wasting a trip though I do like checking out new places.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Too late, marked off my travel list, no good bumps at Taos, got it. A work buddy skis all over the world and told me last winter, don't go to Taos, said it was awful, so now that's two strikes against it. Plenty of other places that are awesome, like MJ, not worth wasting a trip though I do like checking out new places.

Not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say Taos is awful. I’ve never been but I have friends that have and they alway tell me that in the US 3 places you have to ski are Telluride, Jackson Hole and Taos.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
Much depends on the bumps.
MJ bumps. Yeah, that will work.
Taos bumps, Nah, not gonna work.

I just went back to look at Chuck Martin's mogul logic DVD, and YES!, there is a disclaimer at the very end. He says his techniques work everywhere in the world except at Taos. I can only think how god awful the moguls must be for his techniques and skiing to become ineffective. Certainly, a place to avoid.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah MRG bumps are fast line slow heel pushed, on short narrow skis.

Wish they allowed snowboarders.
The patroller we asked said it was the telemark skiers that caused the bad bumps. After that we watched, and sure enough, they were pivoting on the top and then dropping sideways down the backside. Shaving it into a vertical wall. Only place I have seen that shape bumps.

James

Out There
Instructor
The patroller we asked said it was the telemark skiers that caused the bad bumps. After that we watched, and sure enough, they were pivoting on the top and then dropping sideways down the backside. Shaving it into a vertical wall. Only place I have seen that shape bumps.
That was hilarious how fast he blamed it on them. I think the coop should address their horrible misshapen moguls. They were bad last March.

In order for Josh to accomplish the Fancy Falling Leaf, weight must be very centered, then varied forward to go forward, then aft to go aftward.
It's not actually necessary to be aft to go aftward and fore to go forward. Go try it.

who cares about comp bump skiing?
Comp Bump Skiers?

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's get thread back to learning. Keep the hate to yourselves or start a different thread. That attitude isn't helpful to anyone. It certainly isn't "entertaining".

This thread is for recreational sustainable bump skiing. It was stated clearly up front. Please respect that intent.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
At the New England Gathering last year we had a day at Mad River Glen where our group was faced with the most diabolical crappy shaped bumps I've ever seen. Like, what do I do now???

Well if you're me, you almost entirely avoid them then listen to everyone else gripe later.:D

Though I did manage to ski a few bumps switch inadvertently. :eek:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you're holding out. Or maybe better phrased, maybe you don't know what you know? :D

I was actually hoping for more emphasis on efficiency ... how "not to wear out" comments ... like, "ski lightly" or "dance like a butterfly",
rather than just line choices. I'm wondering, how to "ski lightly" and "dance like a butterfly" down moguls. ;-)

OK, so you just call BS on me. How disrespectful. :nono:

So, let’s get something clear. We are talking about sustainable bump skiing for old(er) skiers. Right?

Hell. If I am 20 then just zipper line it. The cape and the invincibility spell will take care of the rest. No need for efficiency. We can go at this all day.
Getting old sucks. Remembering the good old days just make it suck more.

OK, old people bump skiing it is.

I like to say bump skiing is mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.

Or as Yogi would have said, Skiing is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

Seriously, it all starts in the mind. Look at Josh’s video and Mr. Yellow Jacket in the other video. Their skiing is deliberate and methodical. There is no visible fear and/or anxiety. Their mind is at peace.

If you are anxious or in a rush. You are screwed from the start. Make sure your internal clock speed is in sync with your external movements.

The next item is take inventory of yourself. Know what your own strong points and limits. Mix that into the recipe. I know I am a short fat old fart that is terribly out of shape. So I try to work that to my advantage. I try real hard not to exert myself. But I like the thrill of falling with gravity so I hang out at places like Taos, Highlands, Squaw, Crystal & Mammoth. It’s easier to fall down the hill when gravity is strong. I don’t have to work so hard.

Just so you can relate, I selected a video of some place close to you. This is Andrew in Magoos (Squaw) past April.
Spring crud on a pair of Atomic FIS SL 158. He is #220.

If that skiing is what you like to do. I will break down the physical half for you.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so you just call BS on me. How disrespectful. :nono:

Let's just say the meter was registered high and the alarm needed to be sounded.

I think Jame's post #31 filled things in nicely. Now, if you have corrections or additions, I'm all ears.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
What it is about...

So what do rec mogul skiers skiing for exhilarating fun and not speed or challenge look like? Well you could look at the Komet Katz video link on my post #18. Below are some more short Little Dipper videos. A lot of us there.

R relaxed smoothly having fun. Notice his narrow mogul skis like my Twisters.

Here's T in the flow letting gravity do it, again on narrow bump skis.

Someone's wide angle GoPro video. The guy in light blue is CC on mid fats.

Last edited:
TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @SSSdave revisited your post #18 and which led to your little Dipper thread. Have to put that place in the ToDo list. So many of the KometKatz are skiing such short turns, it's difficult to catch their line choices.

Thanks for weighing in the pressure distribution (see what I did there?) in post#18. Missed it earlier. That's what my mind says to do, but my body is "defensive" and often find myself pressure balanced in the (blue line/buddy bump) turns. This led me to the green line/back of bump turns.

I think maybe @cosmoliu post #36 "AHA" moment needs to be my next one. I've got to get the tips down and edged on buddy bump turns for speed control instead of side slipping backsides.

Also revisited @Josh Matta dolphin turn video (post #30). That looks like fun. @Josh Matta How long do the skis last given that style? I get the feeling, I need a cheap source for mogul skis. [That's a different thread, OK?]

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I mean I am exaggerating the movement in that video....but I mean mogul skiing shouldnt really kill skis faster.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
Let's get thread back to learning. Keep the hate to yourselves or start a different thread. That attitude isn't helpful to anyone. It certainly isn't "entertaining".

This thread is for recreational sustainable bump skiing. It was stated clearly up front. Please respect that intent.

In that extremely "entertaining" banter is lots of learning. I believe whole heatedly that maintaining constant shin pressure is the best method for sustainable, recreational mogul skiing. Apparently others disagree. One method is advanced by mogul competitors. Another is advanced by some ski instructors. If you've been convinced to ignore mogul comp advice, then it is as simple as getting back to learning from Grump. But, if some really want to learn from all different sources about mogul skiing, then we have to question the assertions of some groups (not just comp folks). It is necessary for there to be limitations in comp mogul technique for some people to be "right". Therefore, we get an endless list of myths and assertions about comp technique that don't stand up to scrutiny. There's a lot wrapped up into this assertion that shin pressure doesn't work at Taos. First, it implies that Chuck Martin can't ski there with his techniques in a low energy way without changing techniques. You may look at comp mogul skiing and say that's not for me, but that's not the whole picture. You need to look at Chuck Martin skiing recreationally at different speeds with different lines, and I'll tell you that he skis beautifully anywhere, anytime with very low energy. Very few people have been exposed to that side of comp mogul skiing. Their methods do work for recreational skiing.

If you want to learn to ski the way Grump is offering in that video without interruptions by dissenting points of view, then you could just have a private conversation with him. But, if we're having a public thread conversation, then it's open to challenging assertions that are ridiculous in an entertaining way.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Reilly has lots of mogul skiing posted on his channel, but here are a few of the good ones that I think really showcase the variations of lines that can be taken in the moguls. Obviously some have more impact and require more athleticism than others...

Watch starting at 2:15

And just for fun...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Yeah Reilly can’t even ski like that for more than 500 vert in row

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Yeah Reilly can’t even ski like that for more than 500 vert in row

Ski like what? The videos show multiple variations in line and resulting required exertion. I guarantee Reilly can ski the rounder line variation for thousands of vert in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online