Recreational Sustainable Mogul style?

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by Plai, Jan 18, 2019.

1. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

I bent my fair share of Volants in the bumps, including Machetes back in the day when I was skiing mostly Mary Jane. I had a friend that worked at Volant and could get dirt cheap seconds. I stopped asking for more after bending a few as they wouldn't even last a season.

Is the metal they are using in today's skis less susceptible to bending in the bumps? Seem like it might be, or maybe I'm just getting older, slower, and perhaps a little bit smarter. ;)

2. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

Cool. A friend who lived in Jackson for a while has a picture in his house jumping off a giant cliff with p50 on and still uses them. Maybe he didn't ski bumps much. They were great for carving.

3. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

No. Volant had a stainless steel metal cap. The aluminum sheet in skis still bends. We just call it rocker these days, and it makes some things easier.

KingGrump and tball like this.
  4. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

lol, Joal from a few years ago.

Never warmed up to the Volants as a brand and have never demoed any but I am going to try these 185 SINs. They are in really nice shape. Bases and edges are near immaculate. Camber looks true. Review says all mountain ski, great edge hold, not very quick, lost in the moguls, nice groomer ski. The bindings were mounted for maybe a

https://www.pugski.com/threads/all-things-volant.1855/

5. geepers

geepers Out on the slopes Skier

This is stated to be the mogul GOAT. No idea if true or not - he'd be 46 if it was taken this past season.

Pretty neat run.

For the Mac users...
    Mogul Goat?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019

6. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

I don't know what the issue is, but these embedded videos from Facebook do not play on my mac. That being said, it's been pretty dead around here, so it's good to see some activity in a subject that will surely generate yet another 12 pages of comments with no consensus, but lots of name calling about the style and technique of mogul skiing. Bully! (I might have been watching the Ken Burns film on the Roosevelts...)

dbostedo likes this.
  7. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Making fresh tracks Instructor

Same here.
    I can't see any facebook videos. It's been this way for weeks.
    I'm on a Mac. Surely all I need is to download some magic app.
    Any suggestions, you tech wizards?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  8. geepers

geepers Out on the slopes Skier

Placed it as a link as well.

On the "another 12 pages of comments"... Maybe, but it's still very good skiing, let alone from some-one who is 46. In terms of sustainability, be great if we could see him run the same pitch every couple of years for the next 20.

9. Unpiste

Unpiste Booting down Skier

FWIW, Chrome works. (I'd recommend Firefox, but this page literally crashes the tab.)

10. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

That's fantastic skiing. Watch it carefully -- do you see any impact of the bumps? His anticipation, both in flexion and extension, is perfect and his Center of Mass doesn't really deviate much vertically as he descends. If he didn't need to use his hands, he could hold a cup of water all the way through it and not spill a drop.

Why is that important? Because that is sustainable mogul skiing.

Mike

mdf and Scruffy like this.