• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I like to describe the top as uphill side. Tops to mean and many mean highest point of of bump which is quite often not the flattest.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is recreational sustainable skiing, not expert pro training 5 days a week. Do what you want depending on your mood and conditions. If you're taking a relaxed line don't pick out the big steep one with a sheer face. You could probably acknowledge that even in the east the tops are frequently soft and fun to turn on if you're into that. Or you could pick out a day when everything is ice and hard chunks, and even then using the legs to absorb some momentum on a bump might be easier and safer (recreational sustainable) than keeping control in the troughs.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
One way to start skiing bumps is to learn to pivot slip your way down.
Here's an animation of pivot slipping:
ff4a3ef2_md.gif

This is so true.

I am living breathing recent (this season) example that it works. I did the pivot slips/zero momentum turns just to get back in shape. On day 6 or 7 of the season, I felt good enough to venture into bumps and I enjoyed them for the first time ever.

Any sport has fundamentals. Anyone who wants to ski better, should look up 'ski drills' on the intertubes, make a note of half a dozen that seem appealing, and practice. It doesn't take long to see the effect.

The video above inspired and the one below instructed me:

Last edited:

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
Speaking of recreational moguls - is anyone still skiing at Killington and feels like giving a private lesson this weekend?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Speaking of recreational moguls - is anyone still skiing at Killington and feels like giving a private lesson this weekend?
Putting in long ski days with the lifts running 9 hours. We were set-up at the base of Superstar in our usual spot on Saturday. Top bump day with a large turnout. Would have loaned you my mogul coach. Did you get a good number of laps in?

IMG_5623.jpg

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
Putting in long ski days with the lifts running 9 hours. We were set-up at the base of Superstar in our usual spot on Saturday. Top bump day with a large turnout. Would have loaned you my mogul coach. Did you get a good number of laps in?

View attachment 74231
got a few runs here and there before my legs fell off :)
I felt like stopping for the season, but looks like another week is coming
There were a couple of ski pros on the mountain (from US ski team from what I've heard) that were amazing. There was also one CSIA L4 and she was a pleasure to watch too.

Last edited:

Paul Shifflet

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
got a few runs here and there before my legs fell off :)
I felt like stopping for the season, but looks like another week is coming
There were a couple of ski pros on the mountain (from US ski team from what I've heard) that were amazing. There was also one CSIA L4 and she was a pleasure to watch too.

Do you recognize anyone? Or did any of you get caught on camera?

Paul Shifflet

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
great vid, thank you!
I successfully escaped being captured while snow-plowing on the less-bumpy side

LOL.

It seems they're up there just about every weekend logging video. Great stuff.

I was trying to spot a guy in shorts, but had no luck.

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ some of the women and men have good hip movement.

Another vid below with a few others added. BTW, good to see skiing direct is still alive and kicking!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The past several years I've decided to quit avoiding moguls or slowly gaping through. With tips here and elsewhere, watching others and... skiing moguls, I've gotten a lot better and can actually ski them. Especially smaller, softer bumps.

I usually practice moguls on "groomer days". That means I am on FIS SL tuned .05/3 or Head Monster 83s tuned .07/3, sharp tip to tail.

I'm wondering if I would find it worthwhile to add a real mogul ski to my quiver (even if it means swapping for a few laps in the bumps on those days), and if so, what would those if you "in the know" recommend? If not, should I have a pair of narrower all mt. skis with a more forgiving tune for mogul time?

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Several considerations, IMO mogul skis will help for those who want to develop the techniques and skills to ski a direct line. A mogul ski has a soft tip so that you bite on the snow by pressuring the tip and the overall narrow dimension allows for a quicker turn. That said, some mogul skis are stiffer than others. I think some of the newer models focus for competition are stiffer due to the rule changes. Speed has become a bigger factor so using the front of the ski to control speed has been the technique in vogue. Most of the top level competitors carry so much speed that they need their skis on the stiffer side. Just pointing that out since what is use at world cup competition is not necessarily the best ski for a newbie learning to ski a direct line.

Otherwise if you want to focus more on tactics and ski other lines use a less aggressive tune on a soft all mountain ski.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The past several years I've decided to quit avoiding moguls or slowly gaping through. With tips here and elsewhere, watching others and... skiing moguls, I've gotten a lot better and can actually ski them. Especially smaller, softer bumps.

I usually practice moguls on "groomer days". That means I am on FIS SL tuned .05/3 or Head Monster 83s tuned .07/3, sharp tip to tail.

I'm wondering if I would find it worthwhile to add a real mogul ski to my quiver (even if it means swapping for a few laps in the bumps on those days), and if so, what would those if you "in the know" recommend? If not, should I have a pair of narrower all mt. skis with a more forgiving tune for mogul time?
I've noticed that a 1 base 2 side makes proper mogul skiing a lot easier, and a mid-twenties side-cut radius improves things versus a 13 m radius ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor