Recreational Sustainable Mogul style?

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by Plai, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Josh Matta

Josh Matta Making fresh tracks Instructor

I like to describe the top as uphill side. Tops to mean and many mean highest point of of bump which is quite often not the flattest.

2. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

This is recreational sustainable skiing, not expert pro training 5 days a week. Do what you want depending on your mood and conditions. If you're taking a relaxed line don't pick out the big steep one with a sheer face. You could probably acknowledge that even in the east the tops are frequently soft and fun to turn on if you're into that. Or you could pick out a day when everything is ice and hard chunks, and even then using the legs to absorb some momentum on a bump might be easier and safer (recreational sustainable) than keeping control in the troughs.

3. Pasha

Pasha Booting up Skier

This is so true.

I am living breathing recent (this season) example that it works. I did the pivot slips/zero momentum turns just to get back in shape. On day 6 or 7 of the season, I felt good enough to venture into bumps and I enjoyed them for the first time ever.

Any sport has fundamentals. Anyone who wants to ski better, should look up 'ski drills' on the intertubes, make a note of half a dozen that seem appealing, and practice. It doesn't take long to see the effect.

The video above inspired and the one below instructed me:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Ken_R and jack97 like this.
  4. abcd

abcd Booting up Skier

Speaking of recreational moguls - is anyone still skiing at Killington and feels like giving a private lesson this weekend?

5. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

This is just a cool video. The slow line fast?

textrovert and T-Square like this.

6. T-Square

T-Square Terry Moderator Instructor

One word: WOW!!!

textrovert likes this.
  7. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

Awesome skiing. I think it's the fast line fast, just in slow-mo. I'd like to see it full speed to see how fast he's going. I suspect pretty darn fast given his absorption. Also, looks like he's navigating some very large bumps.

Mendieta and textrovert like this.
  8. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Making fresh tracks Instructor

I want those bumps. They look soft.

9. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

I doubt they are soft -- it is Korea.

BTW, it appears that this is Chung Su Kim, whom I believe was a member of the Korean Interski team.

Mike

10. Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts Tree Psycho Skier

Putting in long ski days with the lifts running 9 hours. We were set-up at the base of Superstar in our usual spot on Saturday. Top bump day with a large turnout. Would have loaned you my mogul coach. Did you get a good number of laps in?

IMG_5623.jpg

tball and Mike King like this.
  11. abcd

abcd Booting up Skier

got a few runs here and there before my legs fell off :)
    I felt like stopping for the season, but looks like another week is coming
    There were a couple of ski pros on the mountain (from US ski team from what I've heard) that were amazing. There was also one CSIA L4 and she was a pleasure to watch too.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  12. Paul Shifflet

Paul Shifflet Booting up Pass Pulled Skier

Do you recognize anyone? Or did any of you get caught on camera?

13. abcd

abcd Booting up Skier

great vid, thank you!
    I successfully escaped being captured while snow-plowing on the less-bumpy side

14. Paul Shifflet

Paul Shifflet Booting up Pass Pulled Skier

LOL.

It seems they're up there just about every weekend logging video. Great stuff.

I was trying to spot a guy in shorts, but had no luck.

15. CS2-6

CS2-6 >50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w Skier

Ha! You got me!! I'm the little blonde in a bikini top and daisy dukes.

16. jack97

jack97 Getting off the lift Skier

^^^ some of the women and men have good hip movement.

Another vid below with a few others added. BTW, good to see skiing direct is still alive and kicking!

Mike King likes this.
  17. silverback

silverback Getting on the lift Skier

The past several years I've decided to quit avoiding moguls or slowly gaping through. With tips here and elsewhere, watching others and... skiing moguls, I've gotten a lot better and can actually ski them. Especially smaller, softer bumps.

I usually practice moguls on "groomer days". That means I am on FIS SL tuned .05/3 or Head Monster 83s tuned .07/3, sharp tip to tail.

I'm wondering if I would find it worthwhile to add a real mogul ski to my quiver (even if it means swapping for a few laps in the bumps on those days), and if so, what would those if you "in the know" recommend? If not, should I have a pair of narrower all mt. skis with a more forgiving tune for mogul time?

18. jack97

jack97 Getting off the lift Skier

Several considerations, IMO mogul skis will help for those who want to develop the techniques and skills to ski a direct line. A mogul ski has a soft tip so that you bite on the snow by pressuring the tip and the overall narrow dimension allows for a quicker turn. That said, some mogul skis are stiffer than others. I think some of the newer models focus for competition are stiffer due to the rule changes. Speed has become a bigger factor so using the front of the ski to control speed has been the technique in vogue. Most of the top level competitors carry so much speed that they need their skis on the stiffer side. Just pointing that out since what is use at world cup competition is not necessarily the best ski for a newbie learning to ski a direct line.

Otherwise if you want to focus more on tactics and ski other lines use a less aggressive tune on a soft all mountain ski.

19. abcd

abcd Booting up Skier

Still looking :)

20. François Pugh

François Pugh Making fresh tracks Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    I've noticed that a 1 base 2 side makes proper mogul skiing a lot easier, and a mid-twenties side-cut radius improves things versus a 13 m radius ski.